You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What happened with the adventure game? And why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #61
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Send an email to [email protected] and ask the recipient, what kind of effort he put into making gamers notice the game.
I just wrote a really nice email to that address, samIamsad, and it came back. I should strangle you right now.

If it's not too much for you, why not provide a REAL email address?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-04-2005, 03:24 PM   #62
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I guess it all comes back to bad marketing. Again...
And gaming culture. And slow paced gameplay. And complexity (or not). And... It's starting to get confusing. *g* Or it's just the tasty bunny I swallowed together with some potatoes a couple o' minutes ago. You'll never know.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #63
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
If it's not too much for you, why not provide a REAL email address?
LOL!
As a matter of fact, I don't even know who published "Runaway" in the US.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #64
merely human

Well, if you found out and got their email address I could ask them.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #65
capsized.

Quote:
Well, if you found out and got their email address I could ask them.
You are really *that* curious? http://www.trisynergy.com/products/title_runaway.shtml
Never heard of 'em before. "[Tri Synergy is] the best venue for penetration into the North American marketplace, period." Erm..
Old 04-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #66
merely human

Quote:
You are really *that* curious?
Aren't YOU? I mean, we all could be throwing bullsh!t around discussing all this, but it's worth nothing in the end if we don't have some factual info to worth with.

Thanks for searching and for the link. Emailing them right now.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #67
capsized.

Quote:
Aren't YOU? I mean, we all could be throwing bullsh!t around discussing all this, but it's worth nothing in the end if we don't have some factual info to worth with.

True. Weren't adventure games more popular in Europe than in the US even in their heydays? LA cancelled an Indiana Jones adventure sequel to "Fate of Atlantis" after they noticed that it would have never been released in Germany due to some fierce Nazi stuff in it.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:27 PM   #68
merely human

It's of course not guaranteed that Trisynergy will get to me on my question. But no one can blame me for trying.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:33 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhamster

The long answer to how to fix adventure games is to make them what people want. Fast-paced! Please remember that most people don't care what they are playing so long as it is immersive, well thought out, and fast paced.
I completely disagree with that. When I want something fast paced I play another genre. When I want something slow paced I play an adventure. If adventures were all fast paced, I'd be doing something else instead of playing a game.

Quote:
Basically what needs to be done is to create a game which is primarilly adventure, but has a time limit at which point if you cross it you only know that things will get harder
I despise timers in games. It's such an artificial way to make a game more difficult. Real life has enough time pressure and I don't need it in a game.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #70
capsized.

Just looked up their other gaming line up which included "The Longest Journey" as well. Seems to be a pretty small company. Plus, they're not just about games.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:41 PM   #71
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple
I don't need it in a game.
Well, you aren't Joe Gamer. Joe Gamer thinks this kinda stuff r000x!!!!!11
Old 04-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #72
merely human

That's right. There's plenty of room in the adventure game genre alongside slower paced games. You could still have some adventures where the suspense and story progress at an almost breathless pace but will still be forgiving gameplay-wise. Not all adventure games should be slow and dull.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:16 PM   #73
capsized.

Oh, btw I just rediscovered this one: http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,318

"Mind you, this is not a matter of nostalgia. In fact, I think developers have been looking at the classics in all the wrong ways. What made Day of the Tentacle or Gabriel Knight or King's Quest or any of the other classics so good was how they were offbeat, pushing boundaries or at least based upon a self-contained artistic vision. Although some rare gems have been released in recent years, it seems that most adventure games want to be “just like Monkey Island” or “just like Myst”."

That pretty much sums it up. I would go further into this and say, that the hardcore fan base of adventure games almost forces developers to just come up with the next clone of a clone of a clone. Devs listening to the crowd a little bit to much (?) in fear of alienating their core audience.

Last edited by samIamsad; 04-04-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:22 PM   #74
merely human

So it's what I thought all along! It's OUR fault!

Hmmm, that old saying now makes sense:

"You always hurt the ones you love."

Old 04-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #75

Quote:
Well, you aren't Joe Gamer. Joe Gamer thinks this kinda stuff r000x!!!!!11
I doubt it. Joe Gamer may like action, but that doesn't mean he likes timers.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #76
capsized.

Quote:
So it's what I thought all along! It's OUR fault!

That's it! That's it! *jumps up and down* Suicide pact? You first?
Old 04-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #77

Quote:
That's right. There's plenty of room in the adventure game genre alongside slower paced games. You could still have some adventures where the suspense and story progress at an almost breathless pace but will still be forgiving gameplay-wise. Not all adventure games should be slow and dull.
Slow doesn't have to equal dull.
If it does, that's where the problem is.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Welcome to the forum, eyeresist!
Well, hi yourself! And hi to everyone. Don't mind me - just carry on as usual...

Quote:
When I want something fast paced I play another genre. When I want something slow paced I play an adventure. If adventures were all fast paced, I'd be doing something else instead of playing a game. ... I despise timers in games. It's such an artificial way to make a game more difficult. Real life has enough time pressure and I don't need it in a game.
I totally agree, and I think most people here would. Sounds like this guy would prefer Max Payne or Resident Evil to what is commonly recognised as an adventure game. That said, I seem to be the only person in the world who thinks that TLJ was juvenile, cliched and pointless to the extent that it would have benefited from a little 3rd-person survival horror action! [/rant]
Old 04-04-2005, 05:27 PM   #79
merely human

Quote:
Slow doesn't have to equal dull.
If it does, that's where the problem is.
You tell that to the developers and publishers, not me.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #80
capsized.

Quote:
I doubt it. Joe Gamer may like action, but that doesn't mean he likes timers.
Maybe I just confused timers with action then.