You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What happened with the adventure game? And why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #21
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Turn-based combat though? It requires zero dexterity, and is arguablly a combat puzzle. Sure contextually you're in battle, akin to an action game, but you're not actively using your dexterity to defeat the opponent, but rather your mind (tactics and strategy). What makes this 'puzzle' any less worthy than one where you push tiles around to complete a mural?
I don't have a problem with that, and I'm sure a lot of other 'non-typical' gamers wouldn't as well. However, many adventure game fans may and wouldn't be interested in any kind of combat. How do you address them? Do you even want to address them? Your call. Ironically, often times it's the genre's biggest fans who can be the worst detractors when you want to try something new.

Quote:
Perhaps I need to be a bit more blunt; I am currently developing a tried and true point and click graphic adventure game, with all the tech you could want and exploiting my teams artistic ability, as as I said, we do this professionally in the industry right this moment. It will be completely story and character driven with extensive high quality animation and tons of world interactivity. I'm toying with including both cinema-cam's and free-direct control-cam's, so you can get an old schoold Lucasarts experience or a more KotoR, if you will, experience. I'm specifically asking you and anyone reading here:

Would you buy a graphic adventure exclusively online , that you would then download?

One of the more significant ways I can conceivably beat the odds against us developing an AG is the distribution hurdle and associated costs. Near identical to Spiderweb Games method, their customers support them completely through online distribution. Valve has done this with some success, but no figures I can find are available. So they are of course a start, but not conclusive because the system isn't exclusive...people are still purchasing it brick-and-motar.
Of COURSE I would want to buy it and download it online. But first, as the consumer, I require you to give me an excellent game for my money, as well as consistent tech support, customer service, and reliability of that service. Also, depending on the scale of your operations, it's inevitable that some people may be left out - those with limited internet connection and possibly less current systems to run the game. It depends, really. Personally, I would just ignore that potential market and concentrate instead on those who do have high speed internet and relatively current systems. With the internet technology diversifying, steadily reaching more remote locations, and getting cheaper, eventually you'll be able tap new markets.

But who exactly are you making your games for? Hardcore adventurers? Mainstream gamers who like to dabble? Everyone? How do you plan on marketing it? How do you lure people in? The adventure game genre has the worst marketing, imo, and they really need a major rehaul.

Quote:
If the community can support AG developers through online distribution exclusively, you're helping open that window, so developers like myself can create some quality product without as much risk of getting crushed under the heels of giants. Its one thing for us to speculate over and over why the genre has died or faded or is commercially unsuccessful. Its another to offer solutions and support developers that may want to try new avenues of distribution which will only encourage more AG's getting developed.
You have to make a truly incredible game to start, and then make as many people as possible notice it, otherwise it's worthless. The gaming press, mainstream media, and even gamers themselves won't look in your general direction. I think you need a very aggressive and creative PR and marketing, and again, it depends on who you're making the game for.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-03-2005, 03:05 PM   #22
merely human

Oh, and I don't profess to be an expert on these things. I'm just an observant, loud-mouthed gamer who just wants what's best for the kinds of game I love playing.

If you know of stuff that I should know, feel free to tell me.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #23
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Turn-based combat though? It requires zero dexterity, and is arguablly a combat puzzle. Sure contextually you're in battle, akin to an action game, but you're not actively using your dexterity to defeat the opponent, but rather your mind (tactics and strategy). What makes this 'puzzle' any less worthy than one where you push tiles around to complete a mural?

Perhaps I need to be a bit more blunt; I am currently developing a tried and true point and click graphic adventure game, with all the tech you could want and exploiting my teams artistic ability, as as I said, we do this professionally in the industry right this moment. It will be completely story and character driven with extensive high quality animation and tons of world interactivity. I'm toying with including both cinema-cam's and free-direct control-cam's, so you can get an old schoold Lucasarts experience or a more KotoR, if you will, experience. I'm specifically asking you and anyone reading here:

Would you buy a graphic adventure exclusively online , that you would then download?

One of the more significant ways I can conceivably beat the odds against us developing an AG is the distribution hurdle and associated costs. Near identical to Spiderweb Games method, their customers support them completely through online distribution. Valve has done this with some success, but no figures I can find are available. So they are of course a start, but not conclusive because the system isn't exclusive...people are still purchasing it brick-and-motar.

If the community can support AG developers through online distribution exclusively, you're helping open that window, so developers like myself can create some quality product without as much risk of getting crushed under the heels of giants. Its one thing for us to speculate over and over why the genre has died or faded or is commercially unsuccessful. Its another to offer solutions and support developers that may want to try new avenues of distribution which will only encourage more AG's getting developed.

Cheers
While this has been discussed here before, I realize you are new and probably haven't seen the discussions.

1. Not everyone has Broadband, many still have only dial-up connections. And for many who live just off the beaten path, it is unavailable (except for satellite, which is expensive, and requires a dial-up for uploading). Even where I live, in Sarasota, in a suburban area, right near a major road, I am unable to get anything but Cable (or Satellite - but DSL, and wireless aren't an option). A long d'load is ridiculous for anyone with dial-up.

2. Having a disc copy makes it easy to load in a second PC - and for me that's an necessary option - PC's die - how will we be able to re-d'load it without paying twice? If a d'load is corrupted, will we have to pay twice to d'load it again?

3. There have been several indies who have sold discs from their websites, and have done quite well with it. Adv gaming sites are quite friendly to indies, and the interest is definitely there to purchase games directly from developers.

4. Another issue you didn't bring up, yet has been discussed, is the serial game. Gamers are leery of buying a game in parts, fearing that it will never be completed, and that they will pay a great deal over time for one game in serial parts.

I admire your attempt to bypass the publishers. You will have more creative license, more income from the game, and a lot of less grief to deal with. Self distribution is a hassle, but you will get more sales that way, by discussing the game at adv gaming sites, than the slipshod way publishers market adv games. I seriously hope you don't choose only a d'load approach. From what I've seen on other sites in discussion, you may cut your purchasers in half by doing so.

FGM-Lyn
Old 04-03-2005, 03:27 PM   #24
merely human

Lynsie has a good point. If you want to 'diversify' your market (and potential fan base) to include non-broadband users, find alternate ways of distribution. One way would be the 'old fashioned' method of fulfilling orders by sending cds over the mail. Another would be to keep the game exclusively downloadable but to have the otherwise huge file segmented into several smaller packets that could take just 30 minutes to download on a dial-up connection. The user would have to wait a while (a day or two) to get the entire file, but once she has it she has it.

If the dial-up user switches computers, you could advise them on how to transfer all the data from their old system to the new one, or they could simply re-download the game (if they're patient enough).
Old 04-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #25
Magic Wand Waver

You may even want to offer it both ways and give a discount to those who don't require CD's.

FGM-Lyn
Old 04-03-2005, 03:35 PM   #26
FlipFrame

Hehe, I think you're expert enough to know what you like, and by that frightfully high post count, you talk about it too!

Just to answer to one major question you asked, I'm making the game for myself, and for old school adventure gamers period. The talk of combat, TB or RT is just that, talk. If it was included, it would be to bridge the gap between pure AG and RPG. More, dare I say, mainstream gamers might be interested if we had some dynamic elements to lure them, those new gamers might rally around AG's they otherwise might have shunned to to misguided preconceptions. The combat could entice and encourage them to try an otherwise full AG. I'm not proposing anything more than even what KotoR offers; really no bolder than the small lengths BG&E took their action combat to, which was subtle compared to the adventuring elements.

Really though, I miss the days of Lucasarts and am really saddened that no game yet IMHO has matched the intelligence and sheer artistry of Grim Fandango. Playing through it again after many years, you forget just how charming and bold the characters are. The evocative music...the epic feel of the story. I want to recapture that. I honestly dont' see why AG's need to be Myst clones or murder mysteries when they can be so much more colorful, so much more imaginitive. I realise I sound like I'm patting the hell out of my back, but being a professional animator and my partner being a brilliant fiction writer, AG development just makes too much damn sense. From a technology standpoint, they are much more forgiving and from an art content creation standpoint, less demanding. We get to exploit what we do best and thats pretty damn exciting.

The reason I jumped in at this time was your thread question. Considering what we're venturing to do, I figured after a year of 'spectating' here, it was time to start participating. You guys were always a breath of fresh air, as your posts always included, not excluded all gamer types and types of games. I dont believe I read one flamewar or even mildly seething argument, and thats rare compared to the forums I've been to...especially the RPG/Fallout forums *cough*.

Cheers
Old 04-03-2005, 03:35 PM   #27
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynsie
You may even want to offer it both ways and give a discount to those who don't require CD's.
Well, he would have to charge extra because it costs to physically make the cds. That cost has to passed on to someone.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:00 PM   #28
merely human

Quote:
Hehe, I think you're expert enough to know what you like, and by that frightfully high post count, you talk about it too!
Nah, I just have waaaay too much time on my hands.

Quote:
Just to answer to one major question you asked, I'm making the game for myself, and for old school adventure gamers period. The talk of combat, TB or RT is just that, talk. If it was included, it would be to bridge the gap between pure AG and RPG. More, dare I say, mainstream gamers might be interested if we had some dynamic elements to lure them, those new gamers might rally around AG's they otherwise might have shunned to to misguided preconceptions. The combat could entice and encourage them to try an otherwise full AG. I'm not proposing anything more than even what KotoR offers; really no bolder than the small lengths BG&E took their action combat to, which was subtle compared to the adventuring elements.
This is why I was asking you who exactly you want your game to entertain. Many gamers have pre-conceived notions of the conventions and limitations of certain game genres, and mainstreamers have theirs, no matter how accurate or misinformed. Believe me, they WILL instantly try to pidgeonhole any given game based on their perceptions. It's their psychology.

I don't consider myself a hardcore adventure gamer (I only started playing games intensively 5 years ago), and am not interested in labelling myself as such. I have a weakness for good storytelling and gameplay that's very tightly integral to it. I'm more open and receptive to anything that'll excite me, as long as it has a good, compelling story to tell. Others may just play a game for its puzzles or something else, and that's okay.

I think Rags Tornquist is the one to watch out for. After being frustrated by loud-mouthed fans bothering him about the action bits in Dreamfall, he finally just threw his hands up and declared that the game has gone beyond being an adventure. Which finally freed him to do whatever he wanted. If the fans got upset, well, they got upset. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that Dreamfall would be any less good, right? IMO, the freedom Tornquist finally allowed himself opened up a great wealth of possibilities formerly oppressed by the genre and its fans.

Quote:
Really though, I miss the days of Lucasarts and am really saddened that no game yet IMHO has matched the intelligence and sheer artistry of Grim Fandango. Playing through it again after many years, you forget just how charming and bold the characters are. The evocative music...the epic feel of the story. I want to recapture that. I honestly dont' see why AG's need to be Myst clones or murder mysteries when they can be so much more colorful, so much more imaginitive. I realise I sound like I'm patting the hell out of my back, but being a professional animator and my partner being a brilliant fiction writer, AG development just makes too much damn sense. From a technology standpoint, they are much more forgiving and from an art content creation standpoint, less demanding. We get to exploit what we do best and thats pretty damn exciting.
What you're describing of Grim Fandango is that elusive 'magic' that has been missing from the genre. You might want to read this transcript of Gamespot's interview with Tim Schafer.

Quote:
The reason I jumped in at this time was your thread question. Considering what we're venturing to do, I figured after a year of 'spectating' here, it was time to start participating. You guys were always a breath of fresh air, as your posts always included, not excluded all gamer types and types of games. I dont believe I read one flamewar or even mildly seething argument, and thats rare compared to the forums I've been to...especially the RPG/Fallout forums *cough*.
Oh, we fight alright. Just not like other communities.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #29
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
While this has been discussed here before, I realize you are new and probably haven't seen the discussions.
Yea I apologize for not being entirely thorough, and I know I've run across these threads having read here for quite some time...I MUST get past my n00b status!!

Quote:
1. Not everyone has Broadband, many still have only dial-up connections. And for many who live just off the beaten path, it is unavailable (except for satellite, which is expensive, and requires a dial-up for uploading). Even where I live, in Sarasota, in a suburban area, right near a major road, I am unable to get anything but Cable (or Satellite - but DSL, and wireless aren't an option). A long d'load is ridiculous for anyone with dial-up.

2. Having a disc copy makes it easy to load in a second PC - and for me that's an necessary option - PC's die - how will we be able to re-d'load it without paying twice? If a d'load is corrupted, will we have to pay twice to d'load it again?

3. There have been several indies who have sold discs from their websites, and have done quite well with it. Adv gaming sites are quite friendly to indies, and the interest is definitely there to purchase games directly from developers.
No doubt, which is why I WOULD definitely offer a CD(with slight added cost) and immediate shipping so the wait to have the game would be minimized AND allow for both methods to be available. Such as if the person DOES have broadband, they're free to DL the game and play while waiting for their hardcopy so they get the best of both instances. And never would anyone ever have to pay twice ever. Paying for a title is essentially paying for a license to have the game for life, as long as we both shall live.

Though I must ask...isn't cable broadband?? Thats what I have as do the majority of BB customers, and I'm getting 4mbits per second. A gig DL is really nothing a quick sandwich break can't alleviate.

Your number 3. is exactly what I expected and am happy to hear you say that, which was one of our impetuses to go that route to help lower our overhead.

Quote:
4. Another issue you didn't bring up, yet has been discussed, is the serial game. Gamers are leery of buying a game in parts, fearing that it will never be completed, and that they will pay a great deal over time for one game in serial parts.
Thought about this and decided against it for the exact reasons you provide. We wagered a player would much rather have a 10 hour game complete, than a 40 hour game in 10 hour chunks every 3 months. I think when a developer is recognized and has a solid reputation could they only then get away with such a method.

Quote:
I admire your attempt to bypass the publishers. You will have more creative license, more income from the game, and a lot of less grief to deal with. Self distribution is a hassle, but you will get more sales that way, by discussing the game at adv gaming sites, than the slipshod way publishers market adv games. I seriously hope you don't choose only a d'load approach. From what I've seen on other sites in discussion, you may cut your purchasers in half by doing so.
Thanks. Well you know, I've had my drive-by's with the way you-know-who does business and it sickens me. Some pub's rock but the biggest ones make it terribly difficult for smaller publishers and smaller dev's to participate. This shit baffles me. The clients I have to deal with have no CLUE what they're doing yet are given many millions to make the drivel they create. You guys might not have any idea how truly soulless many of these developers are.

Anyway bootstrapping is very alluring, again, for the exact reasons you give. IP control/ownership and I can make whatever the hell I want. That freedom has some serious value, hopefully not to just me but to you as well.

Cheers

Last edited by EvoG; 04-03-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #30
capsized.

The main problem is that the level of interactivity just isn't there in the now pretty old point&click formula. For gamers clicking on 3-4 hotspots on pretty drawn but static 2d screens just isn't enough in times where detailed 3d worlds are popular.

As for online purchasing: Why not? Finding different ways of distribution is an important step for the gaming industry to finally regain diversity.

Last edited by samIamsad; 04-03-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #31
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
The main problem is that the level of interactivity just isn't there in the now pretty old point&click formula. For gamers clicking on 3-4 hotspots on pretty drawn but static 2d screens just isn't enough in times where detailed 3d worlds are popular.
Yup, agree entirely (as outlined in my very first post). Though interactivity and "3D" dont go hand in hand. Most 3D games are fairly non-interactive when the general game world is concerned, so one of my proposals is to give AG's an edge with overall world interactivity. Instead of the meager 3 or 4 hotspots, many world-elements should have some level of interaction if if just a fun animation of the character 'using' the element. One of the big joys in the Sims is seeing how they interact with furniture and such. Since AG's are slower paced games, lets up the amount of things to do, unlike a shooter where it might get lost on the player rushing ahead.

I'll say one thing I do like that is completely missing from AG's, are 'bonus' inventory items. For the most part, everything you collect is used on something to further the story and get you into the next location. Whereas I love being rewarded for exploring in an area off the story path and receiving a special item or ability that may allow me to do something I'd otherwise have to pass up later in the game, or allow me to have an advantage. The player is then encouraged to really look around the world to see what they find, but isn't necessary if they simply want to charge through the story.

Lastly, if you haven't gathered by now, I'm a HUGE proponent of realtime 3D worlds. Hell I'm struggling not to make our game simply 3rd person direct control, for fear of alienating the AGer that thinks then that its another Tomb Raider or RE4 (though this isn't a bad thing, but I do want to sell my game and a core demographic is too valuable to misguide).

Cheers
Old 04-03-2005, 05:10 PM   #32
Magic Wand Waver

Sorry to make my post confusing. Cable IS Broadband. I was making the point that even though I'm NOT off the beaten path, and live in a very populous neighborhood, Cable is MY only choice. And believe me, I've tried to get away from this cable company. Yet only a few miles from me are those who can't even get cable. Broadband capability is simply not keeping up with demand.

Addressing what SamIamsad says - Tim Schafer recently commented about this in what he called density of interaction. It would seem that the more detailed the backgrounds, pre-rendered or real-time, the less interaction in the area for the player. (note Syberia I&II). The adv game developers are reluctant to attempt 3D. Detalion's MJII and Sentinel, and URU are the only ones that come to mind. URU's interface was not intuitive, and many had trouble navigating, with jumps and camera angles. I haven't played Sentinel, but I found MJII very easy to navigate with, using only a mouse. The game itself wasn't anything to write home about, but I do have to give them credit for accomplishing a workable 3D interface for adv games. I can't see how an indie developer could possibly reach this level of design on a shoestring budget.

Where indies shine, however is in innovative and creative approaches to games. Like Trep, for me the primary element in adv games is the story. I can live with less than terrific graphics, or even simple puzzles (challenges), but it must have an engrossing story. And I love the exploration part as well. I wish you luck on your endeavor, and hope your past experience can get you through the frustrating parts. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

FGN-Lyn
Old 04-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #33
merely human

Quote:
Where indies shine, however is in innovative and creative approaches to games.
But it's very dependent on the vision, creativity, and resourcefulness of the designer. Indie games have the advantage of being free of the constraints brought on by investors wanting to make as much money off the game as possible while keeping costs to a minimum (just like in any business). Unfortunately it's also hampered by limited budgets so an indie dev has to stretch his creative resources using whatever technology he can afford.

Sometimes if he has a great new idea for gameplay - for example, an adventure game that uses A.I. as an integral part of puzzles - it may not be possible given that he can't afford to realize it. And more commonly, many indie games end up being clones of already available mediocre commercial games, which themselves are bland clones of better quality and more exciting games.

Quote:
Like Trep, for me the primary element in adv games is the story. I can live with less than terrific graphics, or even simple puzzles (challenges), but it must have an engrossing story. And I love the exploration part as well. I wish you luck on your endeavor, and hope your past experience can get you through the frustrating parts. Please keep us up to date on your progress.
The KoTOR series is not critically acclaimed for stunning graphics. It is, however, acclaimed for those things that great adventure games have historically been known for.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:36 PM   #34
capsized.

Quote:
Most 3D games are fairly non-interactive when the general game world is concerned, so one of my proposals is to give AG's an edge with overall world interactivity.
That's true. Perhaps it's just me, but to me it seems that most - if not all - recently released adventure games offer less interactivity than older ones did. In games like "Black Mirror" there are all these nice, drawn backgrounds with very, very few things to do (=lack of hotspots). If you take a look at the old Lucas Arts games, they weren't just about the story, as lots of nowadays adventure games seem to be. They were even moreso about the actual *gameplay*. Lots of puzzles that actually fitted into the gaming worlds and were fun to solve. Plus lots of things to do (exploration, dialogues that gave hints to the puzzles(!)). Or the ones from Sierra, where you could examine *everything* shown on screen.

Quote:

I'll say one thing I do like that is completely missing from AG's, are 'bonus' inventory items.
Red herrings? (just kiddin')

Quote:
Whereas I love being rewarded for exploring in an area off the story path and receiving a special item or ability that may allow me to do something I'd otherwise have to pass up later in the game, or allow me to have an advantage. The player is then encouraged to really look around the world to see what they find, but isn't necessary if they simply want to charge through the story.
In "Gabriel Knight 3" you could do some optional things that weren't required to solve the game, but rewarded you with better insight onto what's going on in the story. You had to pay some attention to notice them, of course. It worked well.

Quote:

Lastly, if you haven't gathered by now, I'm a HUGE proponent of realtime 3D worlds. Hell I'm struggling not to make our game simply 3rd person direct control, for fear of alienating the AGer that thinks then that its another Tomb Raider or RE4 (though this isn't a bad thing, but I do want to sell my game and a core demographic is too valuable to misguide).
Yes, that's rather sad. The core demographic is the curse of the genre. I'd really like so see an adventure game in 3d. First person perspective. And so on. One that actually takes advantage of 3d technology even in terms of puzzle design, control (direct control instead of point&click).. That "new" technology allows you to actually *be* the game's character. It is just more immersive than the "old" p&c one which did a good job putting the player into gaming worlds *before* the advent of 3d graphics. But now... I can see one of the many reasons why many casual gamers aren't that keen on trying adventure games. Oh, I haven't tried URU yet.

Last edited by samIamsad; 04-03-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #35
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
But it's very dependent on the vision, creativity, and resourcefulness of the designer. Indie games have the advantage of being free of the constraints brought on by investors wanting to make as much money off the game as possible while keeping costs to a minimum (just like in any business). Unfortunately it's also hampered by limited budgets so an indie dev has to stretch his creative resources using whatever technology he can afford.

Compared to movie standards, good indie games mostly end up being of student's film quality. Not good indie film quality, because game development still needs a lot of money. It's so saaaad. Back in the 80s one antisocial man, fourty cups of coffee and no sleep at all could program a kick ass and competitive game in a few weeks all on their own.

Last edited by samIamsad; 04-03-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:17 PM   #36
FlipFrame

Quote:
I can't see how an indie developer could possibly reach this level of design on a shoestring budget.

I dont want to appear arrogant, but unless I misunderstood you, I dont see anything inherent to the games you've described that are outside the reach of an indie. What exactly did you mean?

Last edited by EvoG; 04-03-2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:26 PM   #37
FlipFrame

Quote:
Unfortunately it's also hampered by limited budgets so an indie dev has to stretch his creative resources using whatever technology he can afford.
The most time consuming thing to do is the art and animation. Fortunately THAT won't be an amateur endeavour so I'm pretty confident we can do right by you guys. My biggest problem with the 'indie' scene has been the apparently low production values, not necessarily by choice, but as you say, sometimes certain resources are just not available. However you look at it, fortunately or unfortunately, and though a good game great graphics do not make, it is a fact that great art can overcome a LOT to attract people to the product, whereas a great story is never realised unless the player gives the game a chance, especially in the face or poor art production. No different than the pretty girl with a crappy attitude versus a less pretty girl with a terrific personality; its just another part of how are brains are wired(or brainwashed if you like). If a great story happens to be attached to those great graphics, then you have something special, as ultimately, it IS a visual medium.

Quote:
And more commonly, many indie games end up being clones of already available mediocre commercial games, which themselves are bland clones of better quality and more exciting games.
Yup, though this arrangement is commonplace amonst all genres, its only AG's can't afford it as it is now, the genre is weakened. We need only the best of the best at this stage to draw in the audiences.

Quote:
The KoTOR series is not critically acclaimed for stunning graphics. It is, however, acclaimed for those things that great adventure games have historically been known for.
I've said this many many times on other forums and very much agree. Like I said, I think you and I share a common bond with our foundness for what KotoR is and what other games, if similar, could become.

Cheers
Old 04-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #38
capsized.

Oh, and yeah "Planescape: Torment" puts every adventure game released after "Grim Fandango" to shame. But it was an AAA game and didn't sell well. From what I've read, some interesting stuff got cut by the suits at Interplay after "Baldur's Gate" became a success. Before that the Black Isle team had artistical freedom at its best. Don't know what happened, but it was enough that German game designer Guido Henkel (Realms Of Arkania trilogy)who signed up at Black Isle during the development of PS:T left the PC gaming industry forever. He's the guy on the packing.

Last edited by samIamsad; 04-03-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:26 PM   #39
Banned User

I don't know about you guys, but I kind of like the state of the AG market. I mean, look at FPS, I love them sure, but I can admit that only about 2 of every 10 are worth playing. The market is just rushed with things put out to make a quick buck. To me, if somebody makes an adventure game, it's not about money, but that they care about what they're doing. I think that tends to yeild better games. Not always, but mostly the case. If AG's were to become highly popular, we would just get a bunch of junk that would tarnish the name of adventure games.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #40
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I don't know about you guys, but I kind of like the state of the AG market. I mean, look at FPS, I love them sure, but I can admit that only about 2 of every 10 are worth playing. The market is just rushed with things put out to make a quick buck. To me, if somebody makes an adventure game, it's not about money, but that they care about what they're doing.
If it's not about money then why are there a crapload of mediocre to bad Myst clones? Obviously the publishers are trying to cash in on a highly successful, ten year old style of game.

Quote:
I think that tends to yeild better games. Not always, but mostly the case. If AG's were to become highly popular, we would just get a bunch of junk that would tarnish the name of adventure games.
Only if the industry continues to behave the way they behave now. Remember that at the time of its release in 1993, Myst had absolutely no equals in its level of polish, beauty, and ease of use. Now is it Cyan's fault that other publishers and developers since then have been churning out unoriginal titles that 'just happens' to look like Myst? Same thing with the Grand Theft Auto series and other games that were considered progressive or innovative for their time and made lots of money.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 04-03-2005 at 07:44 PM.