You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 07:48 AM   #1

Default Still Life review

Don't know if it is the first one, but i thought i'd mention it anyway. The Belgian pc mag PCgameplay has reviewed Still Life and the game received a very good score of 88% and a very positive review. Sounds promising
Old 03-30-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Woo! That's good news. Is there a link or is it a print publication?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Woo! That's good news. Is there a link or is it a print publication?
It is a print publication. But i'm sure more reviews will pop up from now on. Fingers crossed that all reviews will be as positive as this one (mind you, i have already decided that i will buy it). It certainly seems to confirm all the positive previews that have emerged the last months on the internet.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:11 AM   #4

Has the game gone gold yet? They need to play a production version of the game.

Did they play the game all the way through?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:02 PM   #5
merely human

Not gold yet. But you'll be among the first to know.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #6

Then how did they play the game if it's not gold yet?. Were they given a copy after it was finished?.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
merely human

Standard practice. They probably got an advance review copy.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-30-2005, 01:02 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

The review copies have been out for a while. Some people with review copies were asking for help with the game, on the Still Life forums early in March.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
Some people with review copies were asking for help with the game, on the Still Life forums early in March.
LOL!! I dunno, but I find that quite funny.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
The review copies have been out for a while.
All legitimate review copies should based on the gold master. Otherwise it's really just preview material, no matter how close it is to final. I'm not sure every publication bothers making that distinction, though. Probably not.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
merely human

Oh.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
Hopeful skeptic

I should clarify that I'm not commenting specifically about Still Life or this Belgian mag. It's possible the game IS finished, just not sent for duplication (which is usually when the "gone gold" announcement is made.) It's also possible they played an Xbox version, as I don't know what its status is at the moment.

[Note to self: harass TAC for Still Life review copy]
Old 03-30-2005, 01:38 PM   #13
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Yeah, you damn lazy cute little doggie!! We should be getting first dibs on this!!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Quote:

Some people with review copies were asking for help with the game, on the Still Life forums early in March.
LOL!! I dunno, but I find that quite funny.
You probably wouldn't if you'd ever gotten stuck while playing a review copy and had no means of getting help.

Not that that's ever happened to me.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yeah, you damn lazy cute little doggie!! We should be getting first dibs on this!!
Yeah, my rabid editor routine is a real crowd pleaser with publishers.

Belgium, Belgium... actually, I don't know who would have provided them their copy, as that's a little outside TAC's scope. Back to serious confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
You probably wouldn't if you'd ever gotten stuck while playing a review copy and had no means of getting help.
Ouch. You can say that again. (Also: me neither. )
Old 03-30-2005, 01:56 PM   #16
Bearly Here

Quote:
Belgium, Belgium... actually, I don't know who would have provided them their copy, as that's a little outside TAC's scope. Back to serious confusion.
Could be TAC Europe, but maybe not with all the changing scene there. It's listed on the French, German and Italian sites for the game as publisher - so maybe so.

Quote:
Already been there

It's coming

And the people looking for help most likely had console review copies which were out then. We PC types may get it later - but I think we have better reviews HAH
Old 03-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #17
Chicken with a bite

I'm pretty sure it was actually a preview copy of the PC-version they received. I had one too (and wrote a preview, but it's in Dutch so I won't bother giving a link ). So had several other Dutch websites. Most of them wrote an article as a preview, but some of them just called it a review instead.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloDiablo
I'm pretty sure it was actually a preview copy of the PC-version they received. I had one too (and wrote a preview, but it's in Dutch so I won't bother giving a link ). So had several other Dutch websites. Most of them wrote an article as a preview, but some of them just called it a review instead.
Please do... we can use this.
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
Old 03-30-2005, 11:07 PM   #19
Homer of Kittens

They gave it in XBN a 54. Idiots

Firefox rules
Old 03-31-2005, 01:56 AM   #20

Well, i'm a regular reader of pcgameplay and i can assure you that it isn't one of those "we would do everything to have a scoop" type of magazines. So i for one i'm sure that they played the final version (remember, the game is supposed to be in the shops in 2 weeks time). And the reviewer did play it to the end.

What does it matter anyway? If it's wasn't the final review copy (but i'm sure it was), then it would have been like 99,9% similar to the final review copy (release 14 april).