You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2005, 01:18 PM   #1

Default Phantasmagoria

I noticed this game's by Sierra. Is it any good?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

I played it a long time ago, but what I remember was that it was very easy and the gore is very over the top. Still, if you're fond of FMV (especially in the GK2 style), you'll probably like this one. It's campy like a bad horror movie.

I actually re-acquired it recently and plan to play it again. Hmm... maybe that's what I should do this afternoon instead of my homework?

-emily
Old 03-27-2005, 01:22 PM   #3

What would you rate the game, out of 5?

I remember seeing brand new copies of Gabriel Knight Mysteries and Phantasmagoria in PC World back in 1996/97, and I never bought myself a copy! ;/
Old 03-27-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
SamNMax

This might help you.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

And here is another thread with a few opinions.

-emily
Old 03-27-2005, 03:16 PM   #6

I still have my copy of Phantasmagoria 2 but not Phantasmagoria 1 anymore. To be honest, if I had to pick between the two, I'd probably pick the first one but both are kind of cheesy.

PS Yes, I know no one asked about Ph2 but I mentioned it anyway.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:57 PM   #7
Old Git

I'm going through some old games at the moment (from the days where I was single and used to buy five times as many games as I actually played) and finished Phantasmagoria (I) a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it - it's a quick romp and you get to spot the Big Fat Abnoxious Fiance if you ever saw that (a US reality TV show last year).

Andy.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

I played it for a bit this afternoon. "First" impression - the acting is BAD. I don't know if I noticed that the first time around or not (I may have been so enamored with the FMV I didn't - hey, it was 1996!) but yeah, it's pretty bad.

The other thing that's surprising is how few hotspots there are. I thought the lack of hotspot thing was a recent trend but I'm kind of surprised to find it in a Roberta Williams game. Adrienne won't comment on anything. Even GK2 had more hotspots than this.

And the graphics are kind of strange. They're not realistic looking like GK2's graphics... they look more like the blocky 3D graphics you get in a game like Overseer, but they're 2D. Strange.

In spite of these issues, I am enjoying the replay so far, but I'm kind of anxious because I remember how the game ends and a little bit of what happens in-game... I think I'm nervous. It's been a while since I played a scary game! At least it's not dark out and I'm not home alone.

-emily
Old 03-27-2005, 05:02 PM   #9

There there, emily, it's ok, don't be scared.

Enjoy the cool sick gory scenes. If only I still had a copy...
Old 03-28-2005, 01:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
And the graphics are kind of strange. They're not realistic looking like GK2's graphics... they look more like the blocky 3D graphics you get in a game like Overseer, but they're 2D. Strange.
AFAIK, graphics in Phantasmagoria I were computer-generated, while in GK2 they were real photographs.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:24 AM   #11
cows are my friends...

I thought Phantasmagoria was okay. It wasn't anything special, especially when compared to other Sierra adventures. I think they got too caught up in trying to take advantage of the CD technology and lost some of their storytelling/gameplay quality. But a game that includes demented carnie music can't be all bad.

Actually, the first time I played through I missed a lot of the graphic cut scenes. I couldn't understand what the fuss was all about. Then I went back and played it with a walkthrough and saw what everyone was talking about. I can only remember a few of them now since it's been so long. I wish I didn't lose my copy. Oh well.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:46 AM   #12
Banned User

Ok, it's been a while since I played this game, and i'll say this about it....I liked it! There, I admit it! I'm not ashamed either! Yes, the acting is bad, espc at the very end, but manical laughs and capes aside, the story was interesting, and the game was kinda creepy. I loved the gore because I thought it was pretty realistic. I mean, how many adventure games actually show the lead characters head being mulched into pudding? I thought that was at least original. But don't buy it if you want to play it just to check out what's with the "adult content" warnings, there's no nudity, fake sex, and a rape scene that is just....I dunno...out of place? But, it's worth a spin...all 4000 dics of it.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:02 AM   #13

To make it short : it's bad, but it's fun.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:21 PM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Well, having now replayed most of it, I take back what I said before - this game is not scary at all. Just gory.

I'm in the last chapter now and I'm not sure I'm going to finish it because I missed some stuff, and the stupid bookmark system won't let me go back and fix it.

Spoiler:
I went into the dark room at the beginning of Chapter 7 and now I don't have the option to restore my game -- just to replay the sequence with Don in the darkroom over and over.

May finish it at some point but I already know how it ends, so maybe not.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #15
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Well, having now replayed most of it, I take back what I said before - this game is not scary at all. Just gory.

I'm in the last chapter now and I'm not sure I'm going to finish it because I missed some stuff, and the stupid bookmark system won't let me go back and fix it.

Spoiler:
I went into the dark room at the beginning of Chapter 7 and now I don't have the option to restore my game -- just to replay the sequence with Don in the darkroom over and over.

I'm not sure the end is worth seeing again either...unless you like
Spoiler:
watching people walk off the screen...

Last edited by fov; 04-03-2005 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added spoiler tag
Old 04-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

Ack! Spoiler tag!

Spoiler:
As anticlimactic as that ending is, I'd still hate to ruin it for someone. If we had to put up with the letdown, so do they!

EDIT: You went offline so I added it for you.

Last edited by fov; 04-03-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:42 AM   #17
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

Spoiler:
That's exactly my problem, too, right now. I'm playing it (german version) for the first time and unless somebody in a german forum can help me out with a save file I'll have to start all over again and finish the game by using a walkthrough. By now I am getting annoyed with that insane laughter all the time.

Apart from that I think the game is so bad by today's standards that it is almost good.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:35 AM   #18
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

Spoiler:

Unless there's a dead end that I haven't found, once you're in the chase sequence you will always be able to get to the end eventually. You may have to start the chase from where the game's decided you got to and backtrack but it is possible.

Spoiler:
When I did it I didn't take the book (is that right?) from the darkroom and ended up having to backtrack all the way up again from the changing room by the stage.

Some of the walkthroughs cover some of the more common backtracking you may need.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:33 AM   #19
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Play the first game, skip the second. PH1 starts out as a very effective haunted house story, even though it does unravel in the later chapters with all the gore and "jump" moments. Still, for much of the game, I was unsettled by the anticipation of what was to come.

PH2, on the other hand, is a mess of sci-fi, horror, s&m (and NO, that's not Sam n Max I'm referring to!), workplace conspiracies, and mental illness. The plot is all over the place, very unfocused and with no real sympathy toward any of the characters. It's closer in tone to Harvester than PH1, with it's "look, we can create controversy and shock!" mentality.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:57 AM   #20

I really like Phantasmagoria. Quite interesting game with fmv. Remember is the first few game with FMV. (Besides Tex Murphy's and Gabriel Knight Games). Agree that the Sequel is not very nice than the first, as the story seems strange to me..