You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Demos - a good or bad thing?

View Poll Results: Are demos a good idea?
Yes, Demos are great! 41 63.08%
No, I hate demos because they spoil the game 3 4.62%
Demos are okay if they only contain 1 level 12 18.46%
Other 12 18.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Default Demos - a good or bad thing?

I'm not sure I agree with this whole demo thing - granted, they give you a preview of the game so you can make a decision as to wether you're going to buy it or not, but a lot of the time when you get demos with pc mags there are sometimes 2 or 3 levels of the game on there!

Don't you think this spoils the excitement of buying a new game? You've played 3 levels and quite often this can be a large portion of the game!

I'm not saying I've never played a demo but if I start to play it and it looks promising I usually don't even complete it. I'd rather wait for the final game and enjoy that as much as possible
Old 02-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I only play demos to see if the game will actually work on my computer, before I spend money and find out it doesn't. Sometimes I'll play it through just little to get a feel of the game, if I'm on the fence as to whether or not to get it. I hate that they tend to spoil the story or if they end up being a significant chunk of the game.

My favorite demo ever was the Space Quest 6 demo, which included locations from the full game but had completely new puzzles. So nothing was spoiled really.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
rio
Custom User Title

I rarely play demos but I have nothing against them. I'm more likely to play a demo to get a feel for the interface and quit than to play the whole demo.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
Citizen of Bizarro World

Demos good, two legs bad!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 02-17-2005, 07:05 PM   #5

I virtually never use demos because with a 56K modem dial-up, downloading most of them is too much of a pain in the ass. I can generally find out pretty much all I need to know about a game before it comes out by reading previews and following what people have to say on this and several other Adventure game sites.

On a related note, I notice that the demo for Legacy: Dark Shadows was released AFTER the game. I mean, what's the point?

Antoinetta
Old 02-17-2005, 07:27 PM   #6

Demos are very important to me, and I like to play a game's demo before making a purchase. I suppose they're less important to me in adventure games than in games of other genres, though, and in AGs I mainly rely on reviews in judging whether or not I should buy the game.

Developers should always released demos of their games. Without their demos I doubt I would have ever had any interest in Syberia or Return to Mysterious Island.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
I only play demos to see if the game will actually work on my computer, before I spend money and find out it doesn't.
Same with me. Depending on the reviews I've read, I'll also play it a little to see if it's interesting. For example, I had heard enough good things about Syberia to buy without actually completing anything, but with Moment of Silence I had to actually play through the demo before coming to a decision.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #8
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinetta
I virtually never use demos because with a 56K modem dial-up, downloading most of them is too much of a pain in the ass. I can generally find out pretty much all I need to know about a game before it comes out by reading previews and following what people have to say on this and several other Adventure game sites.
What Antoinetta said, except only reading this site.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #9
Fum
Indegan Peningald

I live for demos, I base my life's schedule around the releases of demos for major titles. Demos are key to the existence of mankind.

...Just needed to balance out this debate, way too many naysayers here. Carry on.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:51 AM   #10
Squeaky

I only like playing demos for games that I'm not especially interested in, as I feel it can / does ruin the magic for my most anticipated titles. That said, I'm still likely to play demos for games I'm enthusiastic about if they just fall into my lap. Probably just kick myself for it later, though.

Also, along the lines of the SQ6 demo that artwking4 mentioned above, I love demos that comprise entirely different material from the game (like the original Half Life demo). Those demos seriously get my respect.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:40 AM   #11
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

I voted "Other".

Reason being is that I will only install/download a demo if its something I really CANNOT wait to get my hands on eg: when Unreal Tournament 2004 was announced, I just had to have the demo, as I needed to check out the gameplay compared with the old UT, and how it was going to run on my 'puter.

Generally though, I will check out previews/reviews from varying sites to get an overall opinion of the game first, before rushing out to buy it.

Now, if only PC Zone and PC Gamer would stop putting discs on magazines, they would be a whole lot cheaper (they cost about £6.00 in the UK)

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 03:43 AM   #12
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Demos are good. I like to test interesting games before I buy them, and usually demos show the overall feeling of the game well enough.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:04 AM   #13
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinetta
On a related note, I notice that the demo for Legacy: Dark Shadows was released AFTER the game. I mean, what's the point?

Antoinetta
Because some undecided people will still want to play a demo before committing to shell out for the game. Granted you miss out on the opportunity to whet people's appetites pre-release but I reckon you'll still catch some waverers this way.

When I had dialup I ignored demos for the same reasons others have stated. Now I've got broadband I use them in addition to reviews and the like. If I like the sound of something I'll download a demo to see if I've understood a reviewer's descriptions correctly.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-18-2005, 06:26 AM   #14
Fienepien

Return to Mysterious Island - played the demo, liked it, bought the game, liked it. I'm incredibly biased against AC adventures and I don't think one or two positive reviews would have done the trick.

Syberia - liked the demo, was really looking forward to playing it. Big disappointment.

Dark Fall 1 - demo was so-so, looked like your standard Myst clone. Turned out to be a great game. I guess the scary atmosphere was missing from the demo.

Moment of Silence - didn't care for the demo, very grim and dark, dialogues too long for my taste. Bought the game anyway and liked it very much.

Demos good or bad? Don't know.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:04 AM   #15

I don't think I always play the whole demo of whatever game but sometimes I do. I sometimes play a bit just to see if I'll like it before I play the game. Sometimes I play the whole demo and finish it wanting more. Sometimes I don't like it enough to buy it, which is somehting I wouldn't have known before. So in other words demos work for me!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #16
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

I tend to play demos to see if the game is any good. Also, I tend to read reviews

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 02-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #17
cows are my friends...

Demos are always a good thing. No one HAS to download a demo at play it thus removing risk for spoiling the game for those who have that fear. I realize demos don't always best represent the game as a whole, but usually they do give a pretty good feel for what to expect. And it was mentioned before, but sometimes demos aren't EXACTLY the same as the full version. Sometimes the full version ends up having more things to do on the same screens as the demo. But even if they are identical, they're usually not at a critical part of the game, so nothing major is disclosed anyway. At least this has been my experience with the demos I've downloaded and played.

That said, I can't wait to get the Still Life demo!
Old 02-18-2005, 01:47 PM   #18
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Normally when there's a demo out I tend to know how many "levels" the game has beforehand - so I know how much, in percentages, I'm potentially spoiling. If it's too much, I stop playing, simple as that.

I think, as was already mentioned, the main point of a demo, to me, is to see if it runs. Paticularily with the re-release of the Labyrinth of Time this was important to me, as an example, though it's not that much of a pointer as I already know the game, so nothing can spoil it for me. Though I do believe that there were no biggies in the demo that ruined it... hmm... might need an outside opinion here, though.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 02-18-2005, 01:51 PM   #19

I like Demos that present the control sceme for the game and whet my whistle as to the story. So for me a Demo should only feature about 15-25 minutes of gameplay, just enough to leave me wanting more.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:54 PM   #20
SamNMax

I don't like to play demos. I don't know why.