Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Disappointing screenshots (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/6833-disappointing-screenshots.html)

crabapple 02-11-2005 06:30 PM

Disappointing screenshots

I went to
http://www.adventurecompanygames.com/tac/index.html
scrolled down and clicked on the link for Still Life.

Up pops this box saying
"To view Mature content, please verify your age:"

:9~

After putting a made-up birthday into it, I got the page to come up.

What a disappointment! There's one "maybe naked but you can't really see" dead body in a bathtub and one of the screenshots has the F word written on a wall. Not my idea of "Mature content" at all.

:( :pan:

redhotray 02-11-2005 06:52 PM

The game looks like it has a lot of potential. It has a very gritty, dark edge to it, that allows uneasiness to wrap itself around you like the coils of a snake. It looks like a dark sleuth game, which in my experience, I found makes for an interesting and compelling adventure.

I await this one immeasurably!

crabapple 02-11-2005 07:03 PM

On the serious side,

it does look like a promising game - though I wouldn't know it from what little I see on the TAC site.

But why would TAC have that silly box for you to type in your age/birthdate before letting you see their tiny webpage for the game, let alone the screenshots. There's nothing in those screenshots that is M-rated. Nothing at all.

artwking4 02-11-2005 07:22 PM

I don't think they're trying to misrepresent the content of the game. They're probably just trying to cover their own butt in case someone stumbles across it and gets upset. Besides, those pictures might not bother you or any of us because we've been desensitized by wonderful shows like CSI. It sounds like, because there was a Mature warning box, you were expecting graphic images of necrophilia and human intestines that shoot blood.

crabapple 02-11-2005 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwking4
It sounds like, because there was a Mature warning box, you were expecting graphic images of necrophilia and human intestines that shoot blood.

Nope. Try again.

fov 02-11-2005 08:18 PM

It's not popping up when you try to access the screenshots, but when you try to access the Still Life page itself. So I don't think the box and the screenshots necessarily have anything to do with each other.

That said, there's nothing on the page that's really mature content, and they don't treat other M rated games (like Missing) this way. Weird.

Who knows, though? Maybe there's some legal issue that we don't know about.

-emily

artwking4 02-11-2005 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabapple
Nope. Try again.

well, that's a relief.:)

but i have to agree, I wonder why they would put up a warning if the web content itself wasn't anything particularly shocking. Maybe it encompasses the game itself as a whole. Like they're trying to block children from even catching a glimpse of the game and wanting and desiring it with every fiber of their being. Like the rest of us.

Royal Fool 02-11-2005 10:04 PM

Even if it may not be shown on the site, there could be some stuff in the actual game that warrants that M rating. If that is the case then this is just their way of protecting themselves.

I remember that the official site for Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (Eh, I know, the title is rather absurd) had a similar age verification thingy. The site didn't really contain much mature content other than ominous shapes and shadows in the background and some screenshots that didn't show much, but the actual game did include death, demons, lots of blood and 'insanity effects' that were meant to disturb the player.

EasilyConfused 02-12-2005 07:49 AM

Dunno why the restricted access. Maybe because of the four-letter word that even AG won't let people type scrawled on the wall in screenshot #5?

I like the screenshots. I'm positive the game will be too scary for me, though. I hate being such a scaredy cat, because it looks promising. :frusty: :frusty: Just the woman in the bath freaked me out. :frown:

artwking4 02-12-2005 09:45 AM

Oh don't worry. I'm sure she's just.... errr.. sleeping.

Orange Brat 02-12-2005 02:11 PM

It most certainly is mature content. Profanity(particularly the f-word which is the case here) and any kind of graphic depiction of violence or death qualifies. I know plenty of people who would not visit the site because of the warning and who would be highly offended by what's there. I wouldn't want my kids or even my grandmother seeing any of that. Believe it or not some of us never swear(nor like to read or hear it) or look at disturbing images of any kind for any reason. ;)

After a brisk nap 02-12-2005 02:17 PM

Yeah, but you people are hardly going to buy the game anyway, so who the hell cares?

Orange Brat 02-12-2005 02:31 PM

I never said I wasn't getting it nor was I describing myself. I was referring to those "you people". I'm sure they'd appreciate that bigotry loaded phrase applied to them.

Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that graphic depictions of death and the f-word are mature content, and the date check is appropriate albeit pointless.

crabapple 02-12-2005 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Brat
I wouldn't want my kids or even my grandmother seeing any of that. Believe it or not some of us never swear(nor like to read or hear it) or look at disturbing images of any kind for any reason. ;)

School bathrooms are among the worst for swear words.
How are you going to keep your kids from seeing those? :eek:

Somehow the F word scrawled on a wall never struck me as being "mature" content.
More like "immature" content.

TAC's website needs a lot of work - especially in their support section, which used to be more helpful and easier to use than it is now - helpful being a relative term. So it's annoying that they waste time on useless things like this box you have to click on to give your birthdate before you read details about a certain game.