You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure An interesting new game for the DS (Gyakuten Saiban)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2005, 07:57 AM   #1

Default An interesting new game for the DS (Gyakuten Saiban)

From Gamespot:

In a stroke of near genius, or total insanity, Capcom announced that the latest entry in its courtroom battle series, tentatively titled Gyakuten Saiban, will be hitting US shores this summer. For those unfamiliar with the courtroom battle series, it began on the Game Boy Advance and met with enough popular acclaim to warrant two sequels and a DS conversion of the first game. While the DS game is based on the first entry in the GBA series, which appeared several years ago on the handheld system, Capcom's teams are working to ensure the DS game is more than just a port by adding DS-specific features and new game content, such as an all-new chapter.

The game's premise is straightforward and could be taken straight from just about any television show that focuses on lawyers. You'll play as accomplished defense lawyer Phoenix Wright, who faces off against "the man" to defend his clients. The game will break up into two basic styles of gameplay. First up is the investigation aspect, where you'll have to survey crime scenes, interview witnesses, and gather evidence that will be used in court. The next part is the meat and potatoes of the game, the court phase, wherein you'll present findings from the investigation to support your case. You'll listen to testimonies, examine witnesses, and separate lies from the truth so you can prove your client's innocence.

Full Article here
Old 02-05-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Banned User

This might be in the wrong section of the boards?
Old 02-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
Citizen of Bizarro World

Why? Adventure Gamers always covers Law and Order games, and this sounds like it's done in the same format.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 02-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
This might be in the wrong section of the boards?
Actually its referred to as an Adventure game;

Besides I really don't think it falls under any other Genre.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Banned User

Doesn't sound very "adventurous to me. I have a disliking of Japanese games though. They're just so...wierd!
Old 02-06-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

It does sound like a Law & Order game. Interesting. I kinda like this screenshot.

One of the problems I have with the Law & Order games (and shows) is that they try to be realistic, but the courtroom scenes are actually very melodramatic and not all that true to life. Maybe I'd be more forgiving of the drama if all the characters were anime?

-emily
Old 02-07-2005, 06:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Doesn't sound very "adventurous to me. I have a disliking of Japanese games though. They're just so...wierd!
See, that's part of the reason I like them, they often go into things that Western developers don't even try, not to mention they are also better at innovating new Ideas than the average western developer.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_Tyagi
See, that's part of the reason I like them, they often go into things that Western developers don't even try, not to mention they are also better at innovating new Ideas than the average western developer.
Oh right, like an arcade game in which you can choose a face, then jam a "hand like" controller into an ass and then watch the expressions on the face is so innovative

If you think i'm kidding, i'm not...
Old 02-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #9
merely human

:eek: Sheesh! What's your beef, scars?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #10
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
:eek: Sheesh! What's your beef, scars?
People think that japanese games are oh so innovative because they're "unique." But that's crap! They're just weird. And just because something is weird, it doesn't make in innovative. It's just damn weird. Like that arcade game I mentioned. I just got sick in my playstation days of these games featuring anothoer freakishly big eyed, spikey blue haired character who says things that don't make sense because of flaws in translation. I'm not saying all japanese games suck, there's a bunch I like, I just hate how everyone praises them for being this new bold fontier when it's just a freak show.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:15 AM   #11

You have a very narrow view of Japanese developers.

Quote:
People think that japanese games are oh so innovative because they're "unique." But that's crap! They're just weird.
I beg to differ, you seem to point out that earlier arcade game as proof of wierdness not innovativeness, well when I think of innovative games from japanese devs I think of things like Yoshi Touch & Go, Wario Ware, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Katamari Damacy.

I don't think of the type of games that you seem to be thinking about.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:41 AM   #12
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_Tyagi
You have a very narrow view of Japanese developers.

I beg to differ, you seem to point out that earlier arcade game as proof of wierdness not innovativeness, well when I think of innovative games from japanese devs I think of things like Yoshi Touch & Go, Wario Ware, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Katamari Damacy.

I don't think of the type of games that you seem to be thinking about.
Ok, i'll give it to you that those are some pretty damn good games (espc. animal crossing) but you have to admit that some really weird stuff comes out of japan.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #13

Perhaps there is some wierd games coming from Japan, but there is a lot more good, western devs seem to have a lot of formulaic games with only some good.

Its a telling sign when about 9 out of every ten games I have is either designed by a japanese developer or based off of a japanese game (i.e. metroid prime)

(most of the western designed games I own are Lucasarts adventures or strategy games, for many I'm certain the Lucasarts adventure games like MI and S&M were viewed as wierd as well)

So when it comes down to it I find that more qualtiy games seem to originate with Japanese devs, maybe its the willingness to accept things which may be wierd in order to garner the innovation.