You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Scary Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #41
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random
Zork Nemesis was definitely a chilling work. I almost forgot how scarey some parts of it were.
Like that weird asylum...and the, um, "patient" you speak with...Man, I really wish I hadn't lent that one to a friend, just talking about it makes me want to replay it!!
Old 05-08-2005, 04:48 PM   #42
capsized.

Has anyone played the first Clock Tower game on Nintendo's Super Famicon (SNES)? That's pretty scary. Typical inventory puzzles, plus you never know when and where that creepy Scissorman will show up.

http://www.playright.dk/screens/cloc...ar_snes_12.gif
Old 05-08-2005, 09:06 PM   #43
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I watched my sister playing Phatasmagoria when I was about 8, and it scared the shit out of me.

Clock Tower for the PS1 is pretty much an adventure game, and it's spooky. I love how it pretty much turns into an Agatha Christie book in the last chapter, with all the characters gathering in a castle, and you know one of them is the scissorman...

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-09-2005, 12:36 AM   #44

the adventure game that scared me the most will have to be Gabriel Knight: the beast within.
damn it scared the hell out of me.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:56 AM   #45
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney
Like that weird asylum...and the, um, "patient" you speak with...Man, I really wish I hadn't lent that one to a friend, just talking about it makes me want to replay it!!
Yeah, almost everything in the asylum was grisly or disturbing. All those drawers, and what you have to do with what you find there...those charming animated displays...the Doctor was a real sicko, no doubt about that. I think the fact that these things were presented in such a clean, brightly lit environment made them that much more disturbing, especially when you compare them to the catacombs or the dungeon. Then again, the catacombs and the dungeon held an almost Hitchcock-ian creepiness because you keep wondering "Oh God, what am I going to find down here?"
For those of you who have never played "Zork-Nemesis", here's a tip: Save often, because it's not so much what you'll find in this game, but what might find you...

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-09-2005, 08:00 AM   #46

Am I the only one that is tired of horror games now days? Hell, I cant even turn on my TV without seeing some advertisement for some stupid demon movie. I stopped being interested in scary games after Phantasmagoria and 11th hour. The first wave of those horror adventures were ok but now they dont do anything for me. It's been done 100 times.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:02 AM   #47
Excessively diverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Shivers scared the pants off me the first time I played it, but I admit I was maybe 11 at the time. Still, the shadow in the clocktower and the glowing eyes in the secret passageway freaked me out.

I didn't play Harvest of Souls until I was older, so that one didn't scare me as much.
I was also terrified of Shivers when I first played it. It's odd, because when the spirits actually manifested, they looked really naff and not at all scary. I think it was more the change in the music that occurred when you knew that there was one close by, and the creepy setting of the game.

Parts of The X-Files game also spooked me, particularly the end sequence.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:38 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
You gotta be kidding me. Phantasmagoria? 11th Hour?

There's really never been a scary adventure game that has ever been made.

I disagree, Realms of the Haunting is fantastic adventure game, and also extremely scary.

Also try Blackstone Chronicles.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:11 PM   #49
SamNMax

I seriously I doubt that I could ever be scared by a game. Or a movie, for that matter.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #50

Well call me crazy but I found Syberia (part 1) very freaky.... There was so little interaction with anything and almost no people around in that game that I was anticipating something on every corner.. wich ofcourse never came..
Old 05-09-2005, 02:11 PM   #51
Codger

There are a couple of spots in the old Sierra game Shivers that might cause you to jump a bit...particularly if playing at night.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #52
thegumchewingwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Yeah, almost everything in the asylum was grisly or disturbing. All those drawers, and what you have to do with what you find there...those charming animated displays...the Doctor was a real sicko, no doubt about that. I think the fact that these things were presented in such a clean, brightly lit environment made them that much more disturbing...
hell yes!
that part of the game was el-wacko...

Spoiler:
especially when you had to electrocute yourself into being able to see that door...

still a darn cool game, though.

that really old game 'laura bow 2: the dagger of amon ra' also gave me the creeps... especially that cloaked figure that was chasing after you half the time... **shudder**

-sandra

Old 05-09-2005, 04:23 PM   #53
thegumchewingwoman

Quote:
I seriously I doubt that I could ever be scared by a game. Or a movie, for that matter.
go to here and check out the trailers...

brutally gruesome.

-sandra

Old 05-09-2005, 04:54 PM   #54
SamNMax

Gore ain't scary.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #55
Heroic underachiever

Quote:
That almost sounds like a challenge.
I don't even know if you would want to be scared by a game or a movie (I know I don't )
But if you would like to give it a try, I'd recommend In Memoriam. That game is wholly unique; and so darn scary I won't ever be able to finish.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:27 AM   #56

I remember GK1 was scary the first time I played it...and I remember why exactly...
MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!
Spoiler:

Cabrit Sans Cor...I didn't know any french at that time nor did I even think it was french (I was pretty young) so I had no idea that was french and I freaked out when the guy said it...and he never explains it too

Why is that person always staring from the window???

The chicken blood agh!!!

Just the overall voodoo is everywhere mood.

The little kid died!

The professor died!

Ah crap, there is a snake! (Yea, GK died once here too... -_-;; )

Old 05-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #57
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:

Er....bollocks!

If you say you can't ever be scared by a movie then I suggest you watch the following -

The Haunting - this is a classic haunted house movie made in the 60s and imo is one of the scariest movies ever made

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/

The Sixth Sense

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167404/

- they are 2 of the scariest films I have ever watched, and to this day I cannot watch "The Haunting" by myself......

also, try playing Blair Witch : Rustin Parr, Silent Hill 1 and Project Zero - there's no way I could ever play those games in the dark by myself!

you might also want to try reading some ghost stories - anything by Jonathan Aycliffe springs to mind!

Experience all these and then say that nothing scares you..........

Old 05-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #58
SamNMax

Quote:
The Haunting - this is a classic haunted house movie made in the 60s and imo is one of the scariest movies ever made
Seen it. Great movie. I wasn't scared, though, more like thrilled.

Quote:
The Sixth Sense
M. Knight Shamalon is a no-talent. The movie sucks, too.

Quote:
Blair Witch : Rustin Parr, Silent Hill 1 and Project Zero
Nothing I haven't seen before.

Quote:
you might also want to try reading some ghost stories - anything by Jonathan Aycliffe springs to mind!
I've read just about every classic piece of horror literature. Once again...

Old 05-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #59
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Seen it. Great movie. I wasn't scared, though, more like thrilled.

M. Knight Shamalon is a no-talent. The movie sucks, too.

Nothing I haven't seen before.

I've read just about every classic piece of horror literature. Once again...
Are you actually a human being? because I'm not too sure - all the examples I have included are probably the scariest in their respective categories - I really don't understand how you can not be scared by all these

Old 05-12-2005, 04:40 PM   #60
SamNMax

I don't know. After I saw Steven King's IT at age seven, I think I was prepared for anything.