You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Scary Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #21
Implementor

Default The First Mile - A Scarey Adventure Game

It's not quite ready yet but The First Mile will be an an adventure game you'll want to check out. You'll definitely want to leave the lights on when playing. And check under the bed before you go to sleep.

What's even better is that it's a text adventure game.

Howard Sherman
Implementor
http://www.malinche.net

PS Until I release it you should check out The Lurking Horror by Infocom.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #22

Darkseed is pretty scary (liked Darkseed 2 more than 1, by the way. I hate limited time.). Shadow of the Comet, too.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #23
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson
And maybe Shivers and Harvest of Souls. Only maybe.
Shivers scared the pants off me the first time I played it, but I admit I was maybe 11 at the time. Still, the shadow in the clocktower and the glowing eyes in the secret passageway freaked me out.

I didn't play Harvest of Souls until I was older, so that one didn't scare me as much.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #24
guybrush_guy

i have no mouth and i must scream was'nt scary but it did send a few shivers down my spine.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #25
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Shivers 1, I must've played that one dozens of times....great setting.
Dark Fall 1, the Gabriel Knight games, the Phantasmagoria games, Blackstone Chronicles, Ripper, and the text adventure Lurking Horror were also fun.

As for non-adventures, Undying was great, as others have mentioned. I'd also include Alone in the Dark 4, The Thing, and the 2 Vampire:The Masquerade RPG's.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #26
Banned User

Hmmm...a lot of the games mentioned seem to be quite hard to find. What are some of the newer ones?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Hmmm...a lot of the games mentioned seem to be quite hard to find. What are some of the newer ones?
The Black Mirror is not exactly scary, but it's an horror game, and is bound to send a few shivers down your spine too.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:14 AM   #28
Commander of chest

Phantasmagoria 1;
The first Shivers;
The Pandora Directive;
Believe me or not, Zork Nemesis.

Urban Runner, it was more of an interactive movie though and at the time I was only a kid.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:12 AM   #29

The only adventure games that have really scared me are Amber and Inherent Evil. Haven't played Dark Fall yet.

The scarieast action/adventures IMO are Realms of the Haunting, Silent Hill 1 and 2, Project Zero (Fatal Frame) and The Gamecube remake of Resident Evil. Most of those are console games though.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:59 AM   #30

Default Weeeell...

Since Undying was mentioned... I was really scared by System Shock 2. In fact, apart from Silent Hill (the first one) and Fatal Frame - and those are both survival horror - it is the only game that really freaked me out at times.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:17 AM   #31
Jumping peanut on a stick

I'd have to agree that "pure" adventures just can't be really scarry in "i shit my pants! :eek: " sense. I was tremendously enjoying Black Mirror though. It won't really make you jump off your chair, but the story and atmosphere are *really* creepy and interesting (kind of like those old B horror flicks)... great!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:42 AM   #32
Easily amused

I'll second some of the ones that have already been mentioned - Dark Fall 1 and 2, Amber, Blackstone Chronicles, and Zork Nemesis.
I also found Morpheus to be spooky.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:59 AM   #33
LucasKeen

The most recent adventure that I've played that really frightened me was Broken Sword 1.

Spoiler:
Some parts like: being trapped in the Hotel Ubu because if you went out, you would get killed; seeing Kahn at the entrance to the cave in Syria; and the train sequence was really scary too.

I guess the reason why was because I could really "get behind" George while playing the game; like I was actually playing him, to sound cheesy; and when he got in trouble, I was frightened. The spooky music really helped to develop the scary mood too.

Some of my games, like Day of the Alien: Tentacles Ate My Babysitter, Goodbye Monkey Island, and Maniac Mars are at Beyond the Pogo
Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 AM   #34

The scariest game of all time is THE DARK EYE !!!!!!!, Amber Journey's beyond and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (more disturbing than scary).

The original The Dark Eye is hard to find but you can get it you-know-where

http://www.justadventure.com/article...or_Top_10.shtm

You can buy I have no mouth and I must scream right here under Paperbacks/Miscellania

http://harlanellison.com/herc.htm

Print out the form.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:13 AM   #35

I totasally disagree that pure adventure games cannot be scary. They might not have the "Boo, I got you" moments the Resident Evil series is famous for but games like Amber:Jorneys Beyond, Blackstone Chronicles, and Dark Fall are all very scary games. I'm a coward by nature so it took me a while to comeplte those three games becasue at many points, the fear factor was so oppresive that I had to stop playing them.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:04 PM   #36
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Did you play Dark Fall?
(and anyway, I know I would have flipped out playing phantasmagoria at 13; you're one tough kid :eek: )
Phantasmagoria might have been scary if the only horror movies you've seen are slashers. I myself am a pretty big horror buff and Phantasmagoria was nothing I hadn't seen before.

Last edited by SamNMax; 02-02-2005 at 06:04 PM.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #37

GK 1 & 2 were pretty creepy, at least I thought so. Sanitarium as well.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Phantasmagoria might have been scary id the only horror movies you've seen are slashers. I myself am a pretty big horror buff and Phantasmagoria was nothing I hadn't seen before.
Fair enough. I never watch horror movies.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:31 PM   #39
Your average crooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Fair enough. I never watch horror movies.
Well, the problem with Phantasmagoria is that having read, watched or just having known any classic horror story or derivations, the game becomes insanely predictible. And well, most of the shocks in that game, like the sex scene, are pure explotation at the same level as those Linda Blair movies in the 80s.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:45 PM   #40
Implementor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
I'll second some of the ones that have already been mentioned - Dark Fall 1 and 2, Amber, Blackstone Chronicles, and Zork Nemesis.
I also found Morpheus to be spooky.
Zork Nemesis was definitely a chilling work. I almost forgot how scarey some parts of it were. The extreme contrast of the usually-cheery and fun Zork with the dark nature of Nemesis really freaked me out. What fun!

Howard Sherman
Implementor
http://www.malinche.net