You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventuring in brave new worlds: controversy, ethics, love, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
merely human

Default Adventuring in brave new worlds: controversy, ethics, love, etc.

Officials Simulate Smallpox Outbreak
National Public Radio

audio news file

Quote:
Morning Edition, January 28, 2005 · Current and former officials from the U.S. and Europe participate in a mock smallpox disaster. The sponsors of the exercise plan to share their findings with those in power, both in the United States and abroad.
I just listened to this broadcast, and it got me thinking. F#&k the Templars, Egypt, Atlantis, and Myst type worlds! Why aren't there some adventure games that explore some really hot themes, like ethical issues, emotionally charged subjects, and philosophically heavy dilemmas? I mean, yes, it's nice and relaxing to point-&-click your way through a beautiful, tranquil world where nothing happens besides the stereotypical slider puzzle, but why can't there be a game, for example, that challenges what you were taught to believe? That puts you in an uncomfortable position? That makes you think well after you've beaten it and walked away from your computer? I often think that it's about time this kind of game is made. And I'm not talking about Moment Of Silence, something about that title feels sterile and - fictional. Even if it does hint at the whole idea of Big Brother conspiracy.

I would love to play that game where I could be, say, an ordinary citizen who adventitiously witnesses a terrorist planning, is found out, and is put in a difficult position where my loved ones' lives are threatened. The terrorists will kill my family if I blurt out to the authorities their plan, but if I save my family thousands of people will die.

I don't necessarily want safety all the time in my games. We read difficult novels and watch difficult movies where things like these are explored. And where is it written in stone that a game has to have the typical adventure-ish puzzle? Why can't questioning one's moral grounds be a puzzle in itself, especially since there may not be a wrong or right solution? Why not make a game where you're forced to think about these things, where your personal philosophy is put to the test?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-31-2005, 02:36 PM   #2
Pawn of the Ridiculous

Right, so, why not knuckle-down and start writing a game like this instead of logging onto an internet forum bewailing the cruel fate that has led people to not offer you everything you want on a silver platter?

Ready.... steady......GO!!!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
merely human

Okay.

< writes an awesome story about a controversial subject and knocks on Bioware's door, hosts spaghetti dinners to raise money to license the Half-Life 2 Source engine, then discusses it with UbiSoft... >
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
Curiouser and curiouser

I see your point, Trep. What's weird about this being a game is the idea that there's a way to "win." Yes, this goes back to several horrific threads . . . but I mean, how would you implement it? Does it just turn into an open-ended thing where if you do this, this happens and you see this cut scene and game over, and if you do that, this happens and you see that cut scene and game over? Or is it that basically, after the moral issue is resolved, either way you merge (like a stream going in either direction around an island) back to the same gamepath somehow? Or does it essentially become two separate games (separate-but-parallel?)

I guess the problem I see is that these decisions are difficult in real life, and I don't always know what the "right" answers are. If the game labels one of them as "right" by rewarding you for it, that may raise problems. I'm not saying, ooh, avoid controversy. I'm just saying--is a game the best way to address the issue?

I still think you can have serious issues in games without putting the PLAYER in a moral bind. You can watch third parties face moral decisions. I've played a lot of games where environmental concerns are a factor. And yes, the perennial "1984"/Totalitarian State thing comes up a lot. So, there are ways to do this.

Also, for some reason your post made me think of Outbreak, and I'd like to see a disaster game AG. Is this even possible? Or does it already exist and I don't know it because it's an actiony thing . . .

Old 01-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I would love to play that game where I could be, say, an ordinary citizen who adventitiously witnesses a terrorist planning, is found out, and is put in a difficult position where my loved ones' lives are threatened. The terrorists will kill my family if I blurt out to the authorities their plan, but if I save my family thousands of people will die.
I would definitely like to see more adventures based on real life and current events like that. However, in this case the terrorists would just kill the guy. Game over.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Doctor Watson

Quote:
I'll just Use the Plastic Duck on the Terrorist and the PlayDough on my loved ones, and the day will be saved.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:54 PM   #7
Bearly Here

I like the idea... like it much. Being a fan of "24" though the first season hhmm well maybe the 2nd was the best. But that whole tension, everyone hunting for you, can't tell what is going on or your family gets it, sense of a tight clock even if one really isn't running....

Yep would be a great game as long as it wasn't done like that Sierra game the FMV one - drove me nuts - oh yeah.... Urban Runner

Last edited by LauraMac; 01-31-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
rio
Custom User Title

You obviously missed the philosophical undertones in Doom 3.

Anyway, though I haven't played it, but based on general knowledge of the story, I think I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream would fit into this classification.

Last edited by rio; 01-31-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
Umbilicus Mundi

A game about something like this could be great, as long as it wouldn't devolve into something filled with various conspiracy theories. I don't think you had that in mind, though; just saying.

It would probably have to be something from real-life. Or would it? Good sci-fi deals with these problems too, and sometimes even better.

[edit]But your example is still playing it safe (kind of). What if instead you played someone who was born and raised to be a terrorist and in the end had to decide if he would carry the act through or not.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:01 PM   #10
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I would definitely like to see more adventures based on real life and current events like that. However, in this case the terrorists would just kill the guy. Game over.
On a side note, cobra, your avatar kicks so much ass it's unbelievable.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:14 PM   #11

Hey Trep, I just got an idea.

Why don't you pitch the game to Ubi Soft, as an episodic series of adventure games, starting off with a pilot game, and if it's successful, make more episodic games.

I mean, it would be just like that show "24", only it would be a series of games, and you could create them how you wanted.

How does that sound to you, buddy?.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:11 PM   #12
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I envision a series of gripping adventure games based on Lifetime Channel movies... You can't get much more emotional and dramatic than that. Yes, that would be totally sweet.

Wait, no it wouldn't.

But I really like the idea of "24" as an adventure game (episodic or not). I was actually thinking about it earlier today as I was watching part of the 1st season with my Dad. We both agree that Jack Bauer is the man.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:50 PM   #13
Curiouser and curiouser

Trep, I lifted this post of yours on from the thread on brands:
Quote:
Coma (1978, directed by Michael Crichton)
The Silence Of The Lambs (directed by Jonathan Demme)
The 39 Steps (novel by John Buchan)
The Birds (directed by Alfred Hitchcock)
The Thin Man (starring Myrna Loy and William Powell)
Gattaca (directed by Andrew Nicol, starring Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, and Jude Law)
Avenger (novel by Frederick Forsyth)
It must be the hour, I've seen 3/4 of these movies and don't remember any of them right now except Gattaca, and that vaguely. But I think actually an adventure based on Gattaca could be something along the lines of a more serious AG. If you play the Ethan Hawke character, it's not so much that you are getting to make the moral choices--it might be linear, and you'd have to solve "puzzles" figuring out how to avoid detection or clean up all traces of your DNA or whatever (I can't quite remember the whole thing, as I say.) So you don't get to make the moral choices yourself, but the game would still make you think deeply about genetic engineering, biotechnology, and the future. :eek: :eek:

Also, is it Outbreak with Dustin Hoffman and Renee Russo? Yeah, I want that one, because I've always wanted to be Renee Russo.

<Goes to look for 80x80 pixel sized pic of RR for new avatar.>