You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Moment of Silence... protection question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
Barroom hero

Default The Moment of Silence... protection question

( I know Martin is sometimes lurking in this place, so maybe he can answer those )

Why use Starforce 3 as a copy protection?
I guess/hope this is a publisher's decision because this shitty system is so intrusive it makes me unable to play on one PC (I've tested the game on 3 different ones).
It installs some low level DVD driver in your OS, which makes it quasi-viral. And it isn't uninstalled properly when you uninstall the application. It causes some trouble with daemontools, too.

Enough said, I (and most people) don't want more trouble playing a game that I bought than an downloadable ISO
But next time I encounter this time of problem, I will definitely get a refund for the game. (This time it was an adventure game so I had to give it a chance )

Was I the only one to experience problems?

This said, congrats, very nice game, and the French voiceovers are ok, for once. Hope it sells well and that we'll see new games!
Old 01-26-2005, 04:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramboi
and the French voiceovers are ok, for once.
:eek: I hate dubbing with a passion, so I'm not objective, but Bruce Willis voice? It's always light, as if he was making a joke. That's fine for Bruce Willis, I guess, but for the Moment of Silence?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:11 AM   #3
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
:eek: I hate dubbing with a passion, so I'm not objective, but Bruce Willis voice? It's always light, as if he was making a joke. That's fine for Bruce Willis, I guess, but for the Moment of Silence?
Well I guess I'm "anti-spoiled" beause I've heard such authentic wrap since I play dubbed games
Old 01-26-2005, 04:19 AM   #4

Hey there, Tramboi,

the final decision on use and method of a copy protection is always up to the publisher. But to make this clear, we agreed to the use of Starforce in certain territories.

I agree that Starforce is a pretty intrusive tool, but it is also a very strong protection method, and every time I take a brief look into my wallet, I realise that piracy can be pretty intrusive, too. It can be hard to find a balance there.

Having said that, we are of course aware of certain Starforce problems on some user's machines. And we're really sorry. We do our best to support these issues, because we designed this game to be played and enjoyed.

But I think I won't be sued when I say that Starforce is not going to be used for all MOS publishing territories.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:27 AM   #5
Barroom hero

Hi Martin!

All the games I worked on have too went to retail with commercial protection schemes. Well-known schemes that have been defeated very quickly of course
I guess the purpose was just to avoid people making copies with Nero, not real cracks.
And I have to admit StarForce 3 *was* pretty strong (but now it has been cracked).

Just out of curiosity, do you think StarForce earned you more sells? (Maybe a percentile estimate )

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
Hey there, Tramboi,

the final decision on use and method of a copy protection is always up to the publisher. But to make this clear, we agreed to the use of Starforce in certain territories.

I agree that Starforce is a pretty intrusive tool, but it is also a very strong protection method, and every time I take a brief look into my wallet, I realise that piracy can be pretty intrusive, too. It can be hard to find a balance there.

Having said that, we are of course aware of certain Starforce problems on some user's machines. And we're really sorry. We do our best to support these issues, because we designed this game to be played and enjoyed.

But I think I won't be sued when I say that Starforce is not going to be used for all MOS publishing territories.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:31 AM   #6

Quote:
but Bruce Willis voice
This was decided after we had hired the German voice of Bruce Willis for the original German version, which worked exceptionally well.

I cannot judge the quality of the French voice recordings, as I don't speak French and therefore wasn't involved with the French voice recordings.

All I can say is the guys from from Around The Word in Paris are the best localization agency to work with in France. They've done an excellent job.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:44 AM   #7

Quote:
This was decided after we had hired the German voice of Bruce Willis for the original German version, which worked exceptionally well.

I cannot judge the quality of the French voice recordings, as I don't speak French and therefore wasn't involved with the French voice recordings.

All I can say is the guys from from Around The Word in Paris are the best localization agency to work with in France. They've done an excellent job.
Oh, the translation in itself is fine, my problem is with the voices, since they all sound kind of false. But I guess Bruce Willis' voice is popular enough that it'll make some people buy the game, so that's understandable.
But what I would like would be to be able to play a game in the language of my choosing. The same that DVD movies can be view in orignial or french (or whatever) version.
Do you think that's something we'll see in games, some day, the possibility to choose the language of the voices and of the text?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Hmm, interesting, because when this question pops up in Digital Jesters' forums (almost every single DJ game use StarForce), they tend to say that it's the developers who decide, not them. So the publisher is blaming the developer and the developer is blaming the publisher...
Old 01-26-2005, 05:29 AM   #9

Quote:
they tend to say that it's the developers who decide, not them. So the publisher is blaming the developer and the developer is blaming the publisher...
Well, then. MOS's first release territory was Germany. dtp decided to use Starforce as a copy protection. We evaluated the lastest version, checked the internet for problems with previous versions, and, as I said, agreed to use it. (I don't think a publisher would use a certain protection scheme when the developer is strictly against it). Other territories followed.

I have to point out, however, that it is always the publisher who is the contractor of the copy protection. We aren't customers of Starforce, the respective publisher is. We agree to the use and apply the protection to our game. That's our part in that deal, no more, no less.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:13 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I wonder if they U.S. version is going to have StarForce? Cause I'd rather not run into problems when I buy my copy in February.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #11
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
I wonder if they U.S. version is going to have StarForce? Cause I'd rather not run into problems when I buy my copy in February.
You still can use a no-DVD crack with your legal copy of the game, from the ethical point of view
(The legal side depends on the country)