You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Groups overlooked by AG developers? "Yes, boys 8 - 13."

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #421
fov
Rattenmonster

My latest project at work is a booklet for "tweens" and I am doing some research on the subject. (Yes, at 26, I am completely out of touch. ) I came across this quote which is strangely topical:

Quote:
Thankfully, Eliza [age 9] is not addicted to video games, like the sons of various friends -- though she will play if there's nothing else to do, or if she's with a video-game-addicted boy, though this doesn't always go smoothly. For Eliza, video games are just another way to interact and connect with and relate to a friend. For boys, I've noticed, video games are a way to play video games.
Hmm... really? I'll agree that games could be a way for me to connect with a friend, if there was a friend over to play the game with, but I was just as happy playing alone. The question it brings up for me is, are boys less likely to play video games with friends than girls are? (Some of the recollections of people in this thread suggest not. Then again, the author could be making a completely uninformed and random observation with no basis in reality...)

-emily

ps Full story here, but the rest of it has nothing to do with video games.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
The question it brings up for me is, are boys less likely to play video games with friends than girls are? (Some of the recollections of people in this thread suggest not. Then again, the author could be making a completely uninformed and random observation with no basis in reality...)
Best memories I have of AG playing are from sessions with friends. And I'm a boy. Not that it proves anything, really.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #423
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
My latest project at work is a booklet for "tweens" and I am doing some research on the subject. (Yes, at 26, I am completely out of touch. ) I came across this quote which is strangely topical:

Hmm... really? I'll agree that games could be a way for me to connect with a friend, if there was a friend over to play the game with, but I was just as happy playing alone. The question it brings up for me is, are boys less likely to play video games with friends than girls are? (Some of the recollections of people in this thread suggest not. Then again, the author could be making a completely uninformed and random observation with no basis in reality...)

-emily
I read what she said and came up with a different conclusion: to me it sounded like boys just want to play video games, with or without friends, not that they are less likely to play them with friends - as in you've got to drag them, kicking and screaming, to get them away from their consoles/PC's.

FGM
Old 02-08-2005, 12:28 AM   #424
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
Hmm. Yeah, well, there was mainly just remixor who no longer plays adventure games exclusively.
Did I play adventure games exclusively back then? :eek: (That's a real question; reading my own ridiculously long posts is too much work for even me. You were right, I really needed shorter paragraphs...)

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-08-2005, 02:16 AM   #425
Bearly Here

Quote:
Did I play adventure games exclusively back then?
yes...you did...and when we block the memory of painful ....even traumatic events -- well it causes odd moments of mental stress.

It is time... once you recall that reckless oath* you took 2 years ago to never play anything but adventures ...well you can move on and end this fruitless yet oddly compelling search for a crazy man..or not

* {seefootote25-post29-Jan2,2003}
Old 02-08-2005, 02:25 AM   #426

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
yes...you did...and when we block the memory of painful ....even traumatic events -- well it causes odd moments of mental stress.

It is time... once you recall that reckless oath* you took 2 years ago to never play anything but adventures ...well you can move on and end this fruitless yet oddly compelling search for a crazy man..or not

* {seefootote25-post29-Jan2,2003}
Where'd you find a post from January of 2003?? These current forums didn't even exist until September of that year. :eek:

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-08-2005, 02:33 AM   #427
Bearly Here

Quote:
Where'd you find a post from January of 2003?? These current forums didn't even exist until September of that year.
You just think they didn't...people just don't want to say anything :eek:
Old 02-08-2005, 03:42 AM   #428
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Did I play adventure games exclusively back then? :eek: (That's a real question; reading my own ridiculously long posts is too much work for even me. You were right, I really needed shorter paragraphs...)
Yep, that's what you said in one posts, but you also said that you were beginning to realise that you only liked them because of the interface.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
Yep, that's what you said in one posts, but you also said that you were beginning to realise that you only liked them because of the interface.
Haha, wow, that's out of control. I suppose that period didn't last long. I'd guess it was in sort of the 2002/03 range for some reason.