You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
Iconoclast

Default Panic in the Park

2 computers, 5 operating systems, 3 of them in virtual machines, and a lot of elbow grease have got me through this game. Even the elusive shuffle puck pictured above.

Strangely enough, perhaps in a masochistic way, I enjoyed this game, even though it basically was Clue combined with dexterity-based mini-games. Of course, maybe I just enjoyed the challenge of getting it to run at all...

Maybe it was because of:

I mean, can a game with an utter bad-ass like Michael Clarke Duncan really be all that bad?

I actually really enjoyed the artwork, although maybe that is just because I am a clown, and felt right at home...

This game actually claims to have over 200 different endings, although I assure you that this is the truth stretched so thin it might as well be a lie.

Anyone know what it is and has played it?
Old 01-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #2
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

What the puck?

mag
Old 01-20-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Is the name of the game Shuffle Puck? If so I've never heard of it.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
merely human

Wow, is this an adventure game?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 PM   #5
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Puckin' A!!!!

Shuffleboard with Michael Clarke Duncan...does it offer tennis with Steve Buscemi? Darts with Michael Madsen?
Old 01-21-2005, 12:39 AM   #6
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

I thought Shuffle Puck was a very old arcade game where you play Air Hockey with aliens.

Oh, well.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:46 AM   #7
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
I thought Shuffle Puck was a very old arcade game where you play Air Hockey with aliens.

Oh, well.
Well, there was an Amiga game called Shuffle Puck Cafe, in which you play against aliens.I never played it though, just read about it in an old computergame magazine.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:47 AM   #8

Panic in the Park

No I haven't played it - though I've read a review of it that talked about about the infamous Shuffle Puck game and how it crashes on every OS other than Windows 3.1.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
Well, there was an Amiga game called Shuffle Puck Cafe, in which you play against aliens.I never played it though, just read about it in an old computergame magazine.
I played it. In those days, it was heaven for me, with all the aliens having lines and mimics, and the difficulty increasing so much that it was impossible to beat the 6th or so opponent. 8-)
Old 01-21-2005, 02:43 AM   #10
merely human

Okay, is this an adventure game or not? If no one answers me I will move it to General Gaming.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-21-2005, 03:49 AM   #11
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I played it. In those days, it was heaven for me, with all the aliens having lines and mimics, and the difficulty increasing so much that it was impossible to beat the 6th or so opponent. 8-)
I remember that game. It's a forgotten classic.

But to answer Trep's question: Dunno, from the picture it seems like it isn't?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:53 AM   #12
merely human

Thanks. Until someone proves otherwise this goes to General Gaming.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #13
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Shouldn't we allow BJ the benefit of the doubt? He put it in the adventure game section for a reason, it's obviously an adventure game with some big mini-game parts. From the looks of it, an FMV mystery adventure.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:55 PM   #14
Iconoclast

Crabapple is correct. The game is Panic in the Park.

The funny thing is that I didn't change the image names, so all anyone had to do to find out was look to get the answer. DOH!

The game is definitely an adventure game, and Here is the Mobygames entry for it.

As stated, the game will only run in Windows 3.1 or WFW 3.11 without the fatal crash on the shuffle puck game.

It also stars Erika Eleniak, best known for her Oscar-winning performance in...um...well, she did pose naked in Playboy. That's got to count for something, right?

The game contains mini-games like the omnipresent whack-a-mole that have to be passed to progress, though you can save up tokens from other games to bribe your way past some of the harder ones.

Winning these games will give you clues to figure out who the thief of the park deed is, which is one of I think 9 different people that changes randomly every game, and also locate the deed itself which can be hidden in a multitude of places.

Anyway, the main point of my post was just to see if anyone else had actually played this obscure game. I guess not...
Old 01-21-2005, 08:53 PM   #15

Panic in the Park IS AN ADVENTURE GAME!!! And a very good one too. Either play it in Win 3.1 or get yourself to Four Fat Chicks to read MrLipid's hex crack solution to get past the shuffle puck bug, a truly nasty bug of a bug. With the hex crack you can play the game in Win 95/98. I loved this game. There are several possible endings too. The mini-games put some people off though. If I remember, it was a Warner game that was abandoned just before the final "bug check" and some marketing genius released it anyway.

Last edited by scout; 01-21-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 PM   #16
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
Shouldn't we allow BJ the benefit of the doubt? He put it in the adventure game section for a reason, it's obviously an adventure game with some big mini-game parts. From the looks of it, an FMV mystery adventure.
I didn't know! Someone moved it back, so it doesn't matter anymore.

And Bastich if you even think of trying to kick my ass for moving your thread I swear I'll stop sending you sexy pics of supermodels!!
Old 01-22-2005, 10:43 AM   #17
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I didn't know! Someone moved it back, so it doesn't matter anymore.

And Bastich if you even think of trying to kick my ass for moving your thread I swear I'll stop sending you sexy pics of supermodels!!
No worries, Intrepid. I'm an immoral, perverted worm and will accept any and all bribes of that nature.