You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Adventure Company's new releases.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #1

Default The Adventure Company's new releases.

I haven't seen any topics about this yet, so I thought that I should start one.

This first week of January, 2005 has already had two surprising announcements, and it is that The Moment of Silence and Still Life have both found a North American Publisher, and that company is "The Adventure Company", which is a subsidary of Dreamcatcher Interactive. I'm finding these two announcements to be a little worrying, and here's the reason why.

As we all know, The Adventure Company's Technical Support section hasn't been too great. I've noticed that some of our fellow adventurers have complained that the company doesn't do a good job on patching up their games if they are a little unstable. They also changed the title to the sequel to 3 Skulls of the Toltecs as "Wanted-A Wild Western Adventure", so it could attract those who have never heard of the game's predecessor.

So, right now, I'm wondering if this is the right company to publish the two games. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that Still Life, and The Moment of Silence are finally coming to the United States, and I've been wanting to play them so very much. I'm just hoping that The Adventure Company will properly market these two games, and not change their titles, so they can
attract action gamers to them.

So, now's the time to discuss this. Are you happy or not that Still Life and The Moment of Silence are being published by The Adventure Company?. Please feel free to post your comments about this.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:54 PM   #2

P.S. By the way, I just noticed that I accidentally logged this topic in twice. Any one of you are free to delete one of these if you wish. I am looking forward to reading your comments about this topic.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
Curiouser and curiouser

I don't know. I could be persuaded otherwise by the force of an outpouring of anti-TAC sentiment, but frankly I've bought and enjoyed many of their titles and not had problems with them. They also seem to have excellent distribution (despite one recent post)--their games are always in all the stores and are easy to get a hold of. So, to the extent that we hope that these games will reach a wide audience, making money for their developers who can then go on to make MORE luscious games and introducing new gamers to the genre, I think TAC is a good choice.

As for the name changes, I don't find them that significant. It is pesky for people who have been following a game under one title, but similar things happen with films (they change names going from one market to another--even from the UK to here or vice versa.) It seems that if a game is going to do well, it will do well. I don't think the problem with "The Westerner" or "Wanted: A Wild West Adventure" or whatever the title was or morphed into was the title itself--it seemed that every review had problems with the gameplay. So, without knowing too much about it (but just out of a desire to support your thread!), I guess I would say that I'm just glad these folks found a publisher that will assure their games get to ALL the stores in a timely manner and in noticeable volume. I hope this helps guarantee good sales and accessibility.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:36 PM   #4
merely human

Marketing is one of the worst aspects of the adventure game genre - IMO, far more than the outdated design of many of the games themselves. Not enough research is being done on exactly who buys the games and why, and what little information is revealed is ultimately inconclusive at best. For example, many games are purchased online but there is no systematic method being used to track this, seems the sales figures are pretty much based only in-store purchases.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
rio
Custom User Title

I'm still mad that they were the only publisher of Wanted/Westerner that didnt include 3 Skulls. If they had a logical reason, it wouldn't be as bad but I never heard one.

I am glad the titles are being published though.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #6
@_@

Send a message via ICQ to Estoy Loco

I couldn't be happier that they're both being published. I myself have never had a problem with a DC/TAC game. And even if the title is changed... people'll get over it.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:01 AM   #7
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio
I'm still mad that they were the only publisher of Wanted/Westerner that didnt include 3 Skulls. If they had a logical reason, it wouldn't be as bad but I never heard one.
Well quit your complaining now, because I've yet to see Wanted/The Westerner in the UK. So I can't get EITHER game.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-08-2005, 08:32 AM   #8
rio
Custom User Title

Us-1
Uk-0

Old 01-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #9

My only real question, is what about media? I know that TMOS comes on DVD (Still waiting for my free copy, by the way...), but what about the version published by TAC? I know that games like Farcry came on DVD in the UK, but were CD only in North America. Will TMOS suffer the same fate?
Old 01-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #10

That's what I'm worried about too, Beserker. Since Digital Jesters decided to release The Moment of Silence on DVD, I've been wondering if TAC will release the game on both CD and DVD, or just DVD only. But then again, The Moment of Silence might be too big to release on CD-ROM Drives. I guess, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #11

As long as it doesn't have that StarForce cr@p on it I'll get it. I don't care if it's on CD or DVD as long as it installs enough to the hard drive that there's no disk swapping.