You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What Adventure Game Would You Like To See As A Film?

View Poll Results: Which Adventure into a movie would you like?
The Monkey Island Series 16 25.81%
Beneath A Steel Sky 14 22.58%
Simon The Sorcerer 2 3.23%
Maniac Mansion/Day of The Tentacle 4 6.45%
The Kings Quest Series 5 8.06%
The Space Quest Series 8 12.90%
Grim Fandango 32 51.61%
Zack Mckracken & The Alien Mindbenders 3 4.84%
The Manhunter Series (New York/Sanfrancisco) 4 6.45%
Other... Please Post 25 40.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
A Mighty Fine Pirate

Send a message via ICQ to maxpayne2409 Send a message via MSN to maxpayne2409 Send a message via Yahoo to maxpayne2409
Default What Adventure Game Would You Like To See As A Film?

Just wondering what classic adventure games other members of this forum would like to see become a movie & who would they cast?, personally i would like Monkey Island, Beneath A Steel Sky & Simon the sorcerer to be made into movies

the Movie closest to monkey island at the mo i would say is probably Pirates of The Caribbean, johnny depp reminds me of guybrush a lot in it, although in a movie version of the monkey island series i would probably cast bruce campbell as guybrush... why bruce campbell i hear you all cry..*"why bruce campbell?" you all cry* well the reason is simple, he always gives the kind of performance to suit guybrush's attitude, slightly cocky but also unsure, humourous if sometimes sarcastic, blunders his way through things like guybrush, sometimes escaping by the skin of his teeth, maybe simone bendix or emily booth as gov. elaine marley, and as lechuck who else but... the one and only Mr. T...... hehe only joking... or am i? he certainly would have the onscreen presence and general attitude to be a fearsome pirate or brian blessed could easily be lechuck too

beneath a steel sky - possibly ray liotta or charlie sheen as the main character, william daniels (the voice of K.I.T.T from knightrider for all you younger readers)

onto simon the sorcerer, i guess most kids nowadays would rather see harry potter but hes not the original kid wizard, simon would magic the pants off him (in a manner of speaking) although i cant think of anyone to play the part of simon, but tom selleck could play the role of sordid the wizard with ernest borgnine (if he is still around) or george carlin as calypso the wizard

to be honest i would like to see all those in the poll made into films

Last edited by maxpayne2409; 01-03-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
Easily amused

I voted other because I think the Gabriel Knight stories would make the best movie. Forget Von Helsing, give me a Schattenjager instead.

My next runner ups would be Tex Murphy and the Longest Journey.

Last edited by colpet; 01-04-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
Curiouser and curiouser

I have to my eternal shame played few of the classics--Grim Fandango is next on my list but I have played the MI games and I would pick someone much younger and skinnier than Bruce Willis for Guybrush's part. Probably like Leonardo diCaprio, even though he's overused, and I don't know that he is that funny. Perhaps some kind of sunken-chest relative-unknown, with a cast of more famous people around him. You could have a lot of fun with the other folks . . . LeChuck being an obvious choice for star power.

I think some of the more recent adventures could work perfectly well as films, particularly Syberia, which was very cinematic. It might lose some of the whimsy, but not if you had it done by some French or Belgian director, like whoever did Amelie or The City of Lost Children or The Triplets of Belleville. TLJ would be neat, but I don't think it could be a film--too long--maybe more like a TV series, especially with Dreamfall coming. Of course, I'm not sure I think there is an advantage to having these things be films, or that they would be better as films, or that they would transfer over well . . . but those are the two that spring to mind. (I might not be a coincidence that they're my favs. )

Edit: Duh, Broken Sword(s) could potentially work . . . and Runaway definitely would, that's what it said it sort of aspired to be anyway. Of course, the Priscilla Queen of the Desert parody might have to be toned down a bit.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

To be completely honest, I haven't played a single one of the available choices, but from their posted reviews I don't see any of them being the basis for a major theatrical release.
"Morpheus", on the other hand, begs to be made into a movie. So much stunning imagery, and all the interior shots are small enough to be shot at one studio (Pinewood Studios, perhaps?). The Headmistress's dream could be shot in Southern Mexico or the greener parts of Southern California, the Boxer's dream could be shot on location in Savannah, Georgia or Ireland, the Exotic Dancer's dream in Los Angeles, and the Childhood Friend's dream could be shot anywhere there's a fairground. The movie practically films itself! Since the main character is incidental to the plot, there's no need to spend big bucks on a name-brand actor when a competent new face will serve just as well.

Share the love.

<3
Old 01-03-2005, 08:44 PM   #5

Amber: Journeys Beyond

You could make a REAL atmospheric, scary psychological thriller out of this one.

Antoinetta
Old 01-04-2005, 04:41 AM   #6
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Top of my list would the Freelance Police, providing that they could do the game and comic justice. Purcell would have to have a heavy involvement obviously, and it would be nice if it used the same voice actors as 'Hit the Road'. Throw in the worlds top 3D animation studio (PIXAR) and you're on to a winner.

Damnit! I didn't know this was one of those multiple vote type polls, can I vote again please , Mods?

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:42 AM   #7
How am I not myself?

If I had to choose just one adventure game. I'd choose Sanitarium for sure. Now there is a concept for a film Problem being I dont think the ending would suffice. With a slightly altered ending Sanitarium would float my boat in terms of game to film adaptations. But quite frankly, I've been waiting for an adventure game to be adapted to screen. I think adventure games would work best out of all the genres. All the game adapted films I've seen so far are, how should I say... terrible.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:58 AM   #8
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Haven't played any of the options, either. (Well, I'm new here! Don't look at me that way.) So I'll just ramble about my general answer, in hopes I don't get stoned for them being too new (which I don't think, but see above).

Zork: The Grand Inquisitor, both because it is an awesome game with enough material to turn into a movie (it's already heavy on the FMVs), and also because I'd like to see a comedy I can actually enjoy, which should be a challenge for the film makers, as I'm notoriously unfunny and grumpy about most jokes.

And then the Myst saga, whichever game specifically I don't mind. Simply because I adore the concept of someone writing books and them becoming reality, and I'm sure a movie could work with that.

Which brings the tally up to two fantasy movies. Am I ill? *normally detests most fantasy movies*
Old 01-04-2005, 06:13 AM   #9
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
I voted other because I think the Gabriel Knight stories would make the best movie. Forget Von Helsing, give me a Schattenjager instead.
I quite agree. Gabriel Knight would work well in film form. If they wanted to do the original story (Sins of the Fathers) there's already a novelisation (came with the Mysteries boxed set) for them to work from so they wouldn't even have try to piece together the in-game actions in a sensible story order.

But would a film adaptation of a game have to come with spoiler tags either end?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #10
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

There was talk of a Myst mini-series (to be aired on Sci-Fi Channel) almost 2 years ago, but I think the project has been scrapped. Besides, who else could play Atrus besides Rand Miller, who repeatedly states he hates to act but still reprised his role for Revelation???

The Broken Sword series, definitely! The games already remind me of other globe-trotting, treasure-seeking, possibly-romantic (!) adventure flicks! How about Owen Wilson and Audrey Tautou as George and Nico (unless he's too old and she's too young?)

TLJ would make a great 13-episode TV series, since the game is already divided into 13 chapters. But who could be cast as... the Flipper???

How about Ryan Reynolds as MI's Guybrush (during his later adventures)? He's young and pretty funny and fairly skinny (except now he's more buff because of his role in Blade: Trinity)!

I would love to see Syberia (I & II) made into a sweeping epic film! (No ideas for casting yet!) My young cousin jokes that Benoît Sokal should make a sequel to Syberia and Amerzone, where some detective (besides Nick Cantin, maybe Inspector Canard??? ) has to track down and find both Kate Walker and the intrepid journalist from Amerzone, since we never find out what happens to them after their respective adventures! Would this made a good film too?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:00 AM   #11
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo
There was talk of a Myst mini-series (to be aired on Sci-Fi Channel) almost 2 years ago, but I think the project has been scrapped.
Damn. So much for that. Thanks for sharing! I had no idea. o_o *wonders how far they got*
Old 01-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #12
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo
The Broken Sword series, definitely! The games already remind me of other globe-trotting, treasure-seeking, possibly-romantic (!) adventure flicks! How about Owen Wilson and Audrey Tautou as George and Nico (unless he's too old and she's too young?)

TLJ would make a great 13-episode TV series, since the game is already divided into 13 chapters. But who could be cast as... the Flipper???

How about Ryan Reynolds as MI's Guybrush (during his later adventures)? He's young and pretty funny and fairly skinny (except now he's more buff because of his role in Blade: Trinity)!

I would love to see Syberia (I & II) made into a sweeping epic film! (No ideas for casting yet!) My young cousin jokes that Benoît Sokal should make a sequel to Syberia and Amerzone, where some detective (besides Nick Cantin, maybe Inspector Canard??? ) has to track down and find both Kate Walker and the intrepid journalist from Amerzone, since we never find out what happens to them after their respective adventures! Would this made a good film too?
I definitely think Audrey Tatou could make a good Nico, unless she's TOO wide-eyed innocent, in which case I would pick Irene Jacob or something (from Trois Couleurs: Rouge.) I can never tell which Owen brother is which but don't know if I would want either of them for George--I picture him as more of a friendlier, younger Robert Redford (but then I adore Rbt Redford, so that's no surprise . . . ).

Your cousin's idea for a Sokal sequel is great, if Microids would only let him do that . . . How about Sandra Bullock as Kate Walker? Too American? How about Jennifer Garner? What would really be fun is cameos for all the smaller roles along the way . . .
Old 01-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #13

This is waaay to easy

Grim Fandango, all the way!!!

Script rulez, jokes, voice-acting, and what a hell of a soundtrack!

/me runz for cinematickets

damn imagination

ah well, back to reality I guess

Native language: Dutch (sorry for my English)
Old 01-04-2005, 11:57 AM   #14
SamNMax

Whao, the Manhunter series. I would never have thought of that.

Old 01-04-2005, 12:16 PM   #15
Doctor Watson

None.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #16
A Mighty Fine Pirate

Send a message via ICQ to maxpayne2409 Send a message via MSN to maxpayne2409 Send a message via Yahoo to maxpayne2409

Quote:
I would pick someone much younger and skinnier than Bruce Willis for Guybrush's part
@ easily confused - huh where did i mention bruce willis? bruce campbell is a very different actor to willis, campbell is best known for playing Ash in the evil dead trilogy (and voicing him in the games)

@ colpet - im afraid until joining this forum i had never heard of gabriel knight

@deadworm222 - well hes straight to the point i'll give him that

@samnmax - u like the manhunter series too then?

ive got runaway but have never had chance to play it, ive heard of syberia and amerzone but also never played either, maybe i should i did once play an adventurey type game called Book of Watermarks
Old 01-04-2005, 01:44 PM   #17
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

A Pixar produced Sam & Max with Purcell in charge would be my #1 pick. That said it's probably also high on my list of hypothetical films I'd like to see at all, let alone ones based on adventure game IP.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 01-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #18
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpayne2409
@ easily confused - huh where did i mention bruce willis? bruce campbell is a very different actor to willis, campbell is best known for playing Ash in the evil dead trilogy (and voicing him in the games)
Er, guess I skimmed that part waaaaayyyy to quickly, I was like, hunh? Now you know why I have this screen name.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #19
SamNMax

I don't know if Campbell could play Guybrush. Campbell's only rolls have been badasses.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #20
Fulci lives

Tim Burton would be the ideal director for a movie version of Grim Fandango, animated just like in the style of Nightmare Before Christmas.Leisure Suit Larry should be played by Jack Nicholson, he sorta looks like Larry, a bit too old perhaps.Monkey Island, one of the funniest game ever, should have a comedy star like Michael J Fox in the lead.