You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What Adventure Game Would You Like To See As A Film?

View Poll Results: Which Adventure into a movie would you like?
The Monkey Island Series 16 25.81%
Beneath A Steel Sky 14 22.58%
Simon The Sorcerer 2 3.23%
Maniac Mansion/Day of The Tentacle 4 6.45%
The Kings Quest Series 5 8.06%
The Space Quest Series 8 12.90%
Grim Fandango 32 51.61%
Zack Mckracken & The Alien Mindbenders 3 4.84%
The Manhunter Series (New York/Sanfrancisco) 4 6.45%
Other... Please Post 25 40.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #21
Mostly absent

I went for MI, BASS, GF and Other. I was thinking about S&M and LSL when I voted Other, but there are probably other great AGs out there that could also be made into movies.
Take into consideration that these movies would be bloody hard to make. You not only have to please the old fans of the game(s), but also capture a new audience. And how do you make a movie out of Grim Fandango? Not an easy task, that's for sure...
Old 01-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #22
A Mighty Fine Pirate

Send a message via ICQ to maxpayne2409 Send a message via MSN to maxpayne2409 Send a message via Yahoo to maxpayne2409

yes you would have to please the old fans and capture a new audience but lets face it, going by the utter tripe that hollywood seems to churn out by the barrel full these days that seems to capture mainstream cinema goers attention then it could be done, so that would be the main audience satisfied, that jsut leaves pleasing the old fans, thats the hard part but with the right cast and crew could be done, they dont have to be live action, some like grim fandango maybe would be more suited to animation, as hamham cham mentioned

i suppose the easiest of the poll selections to make would probably be the manhunter series as it is basically a run of the mill scifi film, but one set on earth in real life cities so fancy locations wouldnt be too much of a problem if it ended up being made as a lower key production, as i expect filming in ny or sf would be cheaper then making a monkey island movie in the caribbean or creating huge sets for BASS

still one day we can hope these films might get made...even if i have to make them myself
Old 01-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #23
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
And how do you make a movie out of Grim Fandango? Not an easy task, that's for sure...
I have no real desire of seeing Grim get the big screen treatment. The game itself is basically a feature length film, except with puzzles and dialogue options . The story has already been told, and I cannot think what a movie could offer that we haven't already experienced in the game, apart from that nostalgia of watching this story that we love unfolding before us on a big screen.

As for Monkey Island...
After seeing Pirates of the Caribbean, I don't really find myself particularly wishing to see a Monkey Island movie anymore. A lot of the elements that we love in MI is present in PotC.

This being said, In the unlikely event that these were to be turned into movies, I'm sure I would embrace them with open arms.

Sam & Max however are perfect movie material. A problem with a lot of game to movies translations seems to be knowing what plot elements to keep the same and what to change/ignore completely. With Sam & Max, the plot is practically irelevant. All you need to do is make sure you get the principle characters right (i.e. portray them exactly as they are portrayed in the game/comic) and also make sure that it's damn funny. Then just send them on some idiotic and baffling assignment for 90 minutes and wait for the bucks to pore in.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #24
Doctor Watson

I think Beethoven's Moonlight sonata should be made into a movie.

Last edited by deadworm222; 01-04-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #25

Syberia would make a wonderful Tim Burton movie, or maybe Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Can't see who would be Kate Walker... Maybe Natalie Portman, in a couple of years.

Space Quest would make a a good parody of sci-fi movies, kinda like Galaxy Quest was.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:50 PM   #26
rio
Custom User Title

There was a myth some years ago about plans for a MI movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio after MI 2 but were scrapped. (Keyword Myth)

I'd like to see a Broken Sword movie but I think the ancient mystery genre will soon become passe in film with National Treasure and the upcoming Da Vinchi code movie.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #27
rio
Custom User Title

Oh yeah and don't forget that there are already plans for a Halo movie
Old 01-05-2005, 12:46 AM   #28

I think the Syberias would work well. Screenplays need to be "empty" with lots of room to change dialouge and mess around with cameras and editing and composition. The linear quality of the arformentioned gams might introduce problems through the iron-clad characrizatoins of GF could easily support a film. For instance, kill Glottis in the first 10 minutes and replace Elaine from DOTT as the new sidekick...that would work. Peronsally I'd like like to see Shadows of Destiny considered as a film.

And one of the Myst gmes.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:29 AM   #29

I Haven't gotten too far in it yet, but Myst IV, certainly.

Antoinetta
Old 01-05-2005, 03:44 AM   #30
delusions of adequacy

Ripley's Believe it or not: The riddle of Master Lu.

I wish they'd make a series of movies and adventure games with just about any of the Easy Rawlins mysteries by Walter Mosley.

Has any film with Leonardo Di Caprio in it ever made money since Titanic? (caveat: Which I haven't seen and never will see due to an allergy to Celine Dion music)
Old 01-05-2005, 04:11 AM   #31
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout
And one of the Myst games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinetta
I Haven't gotten too far in it yet, but Myst IV, certainly.
*needs to play Myst IV (don't have a DVD-ROM drive ), but is glad to see other people think so, too, generally, about the Myst saga*
Old 01-05-2005, 12:03 PM   #32

I don't think I'd want to see any games remade with recognizable actors taking the parts of favorite game characters. I'd rather they used CGI animation for the visuals.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #33
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Bubbling webforum forces are a-brewin inside me, creating this hideous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
Tim Burton would be the ideal director for a movie version of Grim Fandango, animated just like in the style of Nightmare Before Christmas.Leisure Suit Larry should be played by Jack Nicholson, he sorta looks like Larry, a bit too old perhaps.Monkey Island, one of the funniest game ever, should have a comedy star like Michael J Fox in the lead.

I predict that if in some parallel dimension Tim Burton had just signed to do Grim Fandango, it would be terrible.

First off, Burton thinks of himself as an Artist with a capital A, and therefore since he didn't create Grim Fandango himself, he'd surely feel the need to adapt the hell out of it, to "make it his own."

Second, Burton didn't even direct Nightmare Before Christmas -- stop motion animator/director Henry Selick did. Burton just wrote the story and came up with the visual style... with Grim Fandango the story is already written (Schafer) and the visuals are already developed to be just as strong as any Burton film (by Peter Chan and Peter Tsacle), with perfectly cinematic cutscenes (directed by Tim Schafer and the animation team). What would Burton contribute?

Maybe I just have a huge beef with Burton for sucking pretty heavily lately and not realizing it - in fact he seems to hold himself in pretty high regard, which to me works against most of the attitudes conveyed in his earlier, more popular films. Don't wish excellent pieces of creative intellectual property on him unless you want them to be eaten alive.

After all this ranting I may change my vote (well, it will remain "other" but its meaning will shift). Instead of seeing any adventure property turned into a movie (screw it all), I would ideally like to see a huge studio bankroll a fully internally-developed feature animated film from Double Fine. Written by Tim, directed by Tim and the animation director, conceptualized by Peter chan and the DF art team, etc. Not based on any existing IP. It would surely take the world by storm.

Also I would be perfectly pleased if Dominic Armato played Guybrush in a theatrical version of MI. Actually how about this - ILM feature animation should make a Steven Spielberg-bankrolled animated film in the Monkey Island universe, but it should be shitty. Preferably starring lots of really annoying child actors as the monkeys. Like, where they use film of the kids faces to control the monkeys faces, and make the monkeys human. Like a super abstract experimental stage play version. Except also Tim Robbins should play Guybrush.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens

Last edited by Jake; 01-05-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:31 AM   #34
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
I think Beethoven's Moonlight sonata should be made into a movie.
You ever see Gus Van Sant's Elephant?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:23 AM   #35
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster
You ever see Gus Van Sant's Elephant?
...No?

How so...
Old 01-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #36
Adventure Collector

I voted "OTHER" having in mind the Longest Journey and Sanitarium.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #37
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
...No?

How so...
...Oh...

Looks like a movie worth watching.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #38

I would love to see Pixar Animation Studios make a film version of Grim Fandango, because quite frankly, they're great at making animated movies. I own four of their movies: Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo, and Monsters, Inc. Maybe they could hire Tim Burton to make the film, but unless they get the original voice cast, then I'm not sure who could play the voice of Manny, or Glottis.

I think Syberia I and II would be good if they managed to get meshed into one epic film. Natalie Portman is probably a good choice for Kate Walker.

One final idea: Who thinks Beyond Good and Evil would be a great Science-Fiction film, especially since it was a very fun and challenging Science-Fiction computer game?.

That's all I can think of, now. Maybe I'll think of some more later.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #39
DAVE

They could probably make Simon the Sorcerer, but not that 3d version story. Half the "jokes" (that weren't funny) were him blinking. BLOOOOOOOOW. I'd like to see either a Discworld movie with Eric Idle's voice, a Gabriel Knight flick or Grim Fandango. CGI, maybe. Like Final Fantasy, except with a story.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:31 PM   #40
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in Milk
Has any film with Leonardo Di Caprio in it ever made money since Titanic? (caveat: Which I haven't seen and never will see due to an allergy to Celine Dion music)]
_Catch Me If You Can_ did alright, I think, and I thought it was actually a good film, for a Spielberg-DiCaprio-Hanks thing. Lots of 60s retro fun, and Christopher Walken--not bad.

Wilco, I like the idea of Natalie Portman as Kate Walker, though she's kinda glamorous . . . maybe she will glam-down as she gets older, who knows. Although a few years ago I saw her in Harvard Square, obviously shopping for her dorm room, looking very harried, wearing a gray sweatshirt, and stressed out, so not glam. But she was still stunning . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Maybe I just have a huge beef with Burton for sucking pretty heavily lately and not realizing it - in fact he seems to hold himself in pretty high regard, which to me works against most of the attitudes conveyed in his earlier, more popular films. Don't wish excellent pieces of creative intellectual property on him unless you want them to be eaten alive.
Okay, right, but I was *finally* remembering (delayed reaction) the skeleton dance from MI2 today (see another thread, I think the replayability one), and I started laughing out loud (luckily I was in my building's entryway and nobody else was there.) I was thinking what a "Beetlejuice"-type moment that was . . . TODAY'S Tim Burton sucks, but if we could get 1988's Tim Burton, would that be work for you at all?