You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I Got The Black Mirror!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2003, 08:27 AM   #1
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq
Default I Got The Black Mirror!

I GOT THE BLACK MIRROR!

ok. I just wanted everyone to know. So far, it's really really cool. It's definetely a pure adventure game so if you liked the old Sierra/LucasArts point/click... this is for you. One thing this game has is ATMOSPHERE. WOW. It's sooooo friggin' dark and foreboding. The sounds and graphics are top notch. I'm pretty impressed so far and I'm not easily impressed.

Has anyone else purchased the game yet? What are your thoughts?

I am loving it. It's great to have a good old point/click adventure to play. YEAAAH!

Flame away... but this is so much cooler than Runaway so far. Runaway is cool... but the puzzles and logic didn't rub me the right way.... something about that game aside from the beautiful graphics.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:35 AM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
Flame away... but this is so much cooler than Runaway so far. Runaway is cool... but the puzzles and logic didn't rub me the right way.... something about that game aside from the beautiful graphics.
Believe me, you'll get absolutely no flames from me for that comment.

Glad to hear you're enjoying The Black Mirror!

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-24-2003, 08:46 AM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I'd love to have Black Mirror in Finland's gamestores.

I don't think that'll ever happen but It's great to hear this game is as good as I hoped it would be.
It's been so long since I tried out the demo.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:59 AM   #4
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Believe me, you'll get absolutely no flames from me for that comment.

Glad to hear you're enjoying The Black Mirror!
It's really really good so far. Do you have it Remixor?

I got a copy at EBX.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:01 AM   #5
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

No, but I'm definitely interested in checking out. What exactly is an EBX, btw? I see this acronym used often, and I don't know if it's different from a regular EB or an EBGames or what. There are two EBGames stores near where I live, so I'll pop down there when I get the chance.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-24-2003, 09:24 AM   #6
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
No, but I'm definitely interested in checking out. What exactly is an EBX, btw? I see this acronym used often, and I don't know if it's different from a regular EB or an EBGames or what. There are two EBGames stores near where I live, so I'll pop down there when I get the chance.
Yup, it's the same as EBgames and EB.

Remixor, you're in Berkeley. I'm in SF. I got it at the EBX at Embarcadero.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:30 AM   #7
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
Has anyone else purchased the game yet? What are your thoughts?
I've decided it's Ramen noodles this week, I'll be picking up BM on Monday.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:13 PM   #8

This game is really, really, really good! Think classic English drawing room/murder in the garden type mystery with a wonderfully simple yet elegant point-n-click interface, beautifully rendered backgrounds and locations - oh and did I forget to say this game is really a delight to play?

My only niggles at this point would be the "far off" visual perspective when interacting with characters - no closeups with facial expressions etc. Also I had to crank up my PC master volume to properly hear the voluminous, detailed, and wonderfully rich character voice interactions (there is an audio slider in the game options which I had maxed out as well).

*STANDARD DISCLAIMER*
Bear in mind these are early impressions, having just begun the game (it is divided into Chapters) and I am in Chapter 1. But unless there is some drastic turn-of-gameplay I can only see myself remaining enthralled, excited, and ready to solve this immensely well-done murder mystery adventure. (Thankfully this got here before I had to finish <shudder>"In Memoriam"</shudder> which now sits in its rightful place at the bottom of a pile in memoriam to a well-intentioned but poorly executed concept)
Old 10-24-2003, 12:59 PM   #9
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooter
This game is really, really, really good! ....
I so agree. I love the "storybook" chapters like Monkey Island. Also, HELLLOOOO people can we say quality (ahem... Syberia). There are wonderfully detailed descriptions of objects in all of the rooms. I am having a ball clicking on various photographs and paintings in the spooky rooms of the manor. It's a feature that brings the world alive. Instead of just looking at gorgeously rendered backgrounds, you're able to interact and examine things in each scene. On a side note, the graphics in this game are just amazing. And there are small touches like lights flickering and things moving in each scene. oooh! Is that a tree branch or a hand?! OOH!

The sound in this game is fantastic. For example, I am playing with some good headphones and I can hear the fireplace getting closer from one room as I near another. It's very LucasArts IMuse(tm)-ey. I remember someone saying the voice work wasn't that great but I disagree. Perhaps that opinion was drawn from the demo. The character acting is excellent. Every inventory item even has a specific sound attached to it when you select it with your mouse!

Another thing I really like about the game are the different animated segues when you click on something that deals with the main plotline. Without spoiling the experience, in the very beginning you click on something and a cinematic plays as the main character narrates his thoughts a la Broken Sword.

If you like the Broken Sword games, this 'main character narrating the story' will appeal to you as will the picture icon dialogue choices at the bottom of the dialogue screens. If you click on the castle icon at the bottom of the screen when chatting with someone, you'll ask about the history of the castle for instance. It's all very Broken Sword.

So far, this game is extremely well done... like a dark burnt yummy marshmellow in the campfire. The setting reminds me of something like Disney's Haunted Mansion ride and The Colonel's Bequest. There are so many small wicked little details in this game that really stand out like the sound of a heart beating after spooky music plays on the options menu.

(editing post from before)
Ok, I'm back from a few hours play again... and I have some other stuff to report about the game... some VERY cool stuff.

Spoiler:
the music that plays when you piece the old photograph from the attic together is SOOOO great. It really made putting the pieces of the picture together tension-inducing and mysterious! It reminded me of the music from Aliens 2. Also, I really like how you read the letter to Robert and you hear Samuel reading it and it turns into the voice of the original writer. That's another cinematic touch. This game is full of those.

Check this out. If you look at the huge painting in the lobby, you'll noticed the burn marks on the edges. You can see the game artists didn't clean the edges up quite right because they left a few floating black pieces on the left side. Oops! Photoshop burn tool. I just noticed that.

Last edited by eriq; 10-24-2003 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:44 PM   #10
Headbanger

I want this game! If they would just release it here.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:18 PM   #11
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke

Hey Henke, where do you live? Maybe when I see another copy on the shelf I can pick one up and send it to you. You can paypal me money or something.

It's THAT good.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:42 PM   #12
Headbanger

Quote:
Hey Henke, where do you live? Maybe when I see another copy on the shelf I can pick one up and send it to you. You can paypal me money or something.

It's THAT good.
I live in Sweden. Have any worldwide release dates been anounced yet? If it turns out that my chances of getting my hands on this game are next to none I might take you up on that offer.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:44 PM   #13
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Hopefully TAC will be releasing it in Europe via mindscape like Law and Order 1 and 2. It's nice to hear early positive feedbackbut I think I'll hold back from buying this game until I read a few reviews.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 10-25-2003, 12:28 AM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

It is highly unlikely to encounter this game in any normal shop that sells games... and games-only-shops are dissapearing around here, so I guess ordering it will be the only way for me... :eek:

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 10-25-2003, 05:23 AM   #15
gaybrush threepwoody

I am now on CHAPTER 2 and the game is EXCELLENT!

I can't wait to see the official adventuregamer review. I'm also curious what Gamespot will think.

This is a quality adventure game so far.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
Uhm, why don't you just order it from, say, amazon.com? Wouldn't be too much of a problem, would it?
Old 10-25-2003, 05:54 AM   #17
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TC
Uhm, why don't you just order it from, say, amazon.com? Wouldn't be too much of a problem, would it?
Call me a moron but I never give out my creditcard number if I can avoid it. Superstitious swedes you know.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:46 AM   #18

First of all i would like to just say hello and hey! I'm new here

Oh this was really a great game! I didn't think much of it when i first tried it, but i gave it a try and it turned out to be very exciting and good. Great story even though the end was nothing i though it to be, but how do you say... you can't win 'em all

Cheers
Old 10-25-2003, 08:40 PM   #19

OOOH, I want this game, I want this game, I want this game, I want this game, I want this game!!!!

Too... many... adventure games... to buy...
Old 10-25-2003, 11:12 PM   #20
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brute
First of all i would like to just say hello and hey! I'm new here

Oh this was really a great game! I didn't think much of it when i first tried it, but i gave it a try and it turned out to be very exciting and good. Great story even though the end was nothing i though it to be, but how do you say... you can't win 'em all

Cheers
Welcome to hell and where the hell did you get the game?