You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I Got The Black Mirror!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2003, 11:13 PM   #21
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
Call me a moron but I never give out my creditcard number if I can avoid it. Superstitious swedes you know.
If it makes you feel any better, Amazon uses secure encrypted connections.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-25-2003, 11:34 PM   #22
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TC
Uhm, why don't you just order it from, say, amazon.com? Wouldn't be too much of a problem, would it?
I tried it once, oddly enough they sell books worldwide, but the don't sell games to other coutries.... amazon.co.uk deliver to all Europe at least...

I feel SOOO stupid!!! I actually thought that the BlacK Mirror was the name for broken sword III! Since the last one was the Smoking Mirror.... (self)
Old 10-26-2003, 12:29 AM   #23
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I think we Europeans will have to resign ourselves to waiting...
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 10-26-2003, 12:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
I tried it once, oddly enough they sell books worldwide, but the don't sell games to other coutries.... amazon.co.uk deliver to all Europe at least...
Really? Okay, there's gotta be a lot of sites who do deliver to Europe. So far, I have only once ordered a game from overseas (www.gamestop.com), and they delivered it to Germany. Plus, believe it or not, the game arrived within 24 hours (!!). Whenever I order a game from within Germany, it takes up to a week until it's finally delivered.
Actually, I might wanna give it another try. Cause The Black Mirror really sounds promising.

And, yeah. Credit card information is pretty much safe with that secure connection stuff and all. 128 bit encoding is close to impossible to crack as far as I know. Thus, I never felt wrong about giving away my cc info.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:13 AM   #25
Cannabis Connoisseur

I agree with just about everyone here. This game is awesome. Im not very big on the voice acting, but pretty much everything else totally makes up for it. the ambiance, the mystery, the art... so detailed, makes me all giggly.

Has anyone gone past chapter 1?
Im having a field day trying to figure out what im missing!
Old 10-26-2003, 07:36 AM   #26
Head up in the clouds

(((Henke))) and the rest of us Europeans.
I have tried ordering the game directly via The Adventure Company (with my credit card) and it was only AFTER they had all my details that they said "sorry, this game only ships within North America". I'd tried Amazon.com and a few others too but it already says on the details about the games information that the game currently does not ship outside North America (It's got to do with publishing rights i.e. money.). So I'm afraid Dom's right.
*stomps foot*

I'd be really pleased it we got some information about intended shipment/release to Europe.

PS: @Chris.... shipping costs from that games store to Germany are 19.99 *gulp* (I did not check if they'd send it, they wanted my credit card details FIRST...).

Last edited by doughy white; 10-26-2003 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy white
I'd tried Amazon.com and a few others too but it already says on the details about the games information that the game currently does not ship outside North America (It's got to do with publishing rights i.e. money.).
That really sucks. So I figure, we'll indeed have to wait for a European release
No release dates are available so far, right? I want this game!

@doughy white: You're from Munich as I see. My home town is not too far from there. Nice to meet a "neighbour" on adventuregamers.com
Old 10-26-2003, 07:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy white
PS: @Chris.... shipping costs from that games store to Germany are 19.99 *gulp* (I did not check if they'd send it, they wanted my credit card details FIRST...).
Really? Oh crap, I just checked and you're right. Anyway, the game is 30 $ + 20 $ for shipping. That makes for a total of 50 $ or around 45 €, which is pretty much the same I'd have to pay for it when it'll finally be in German stores.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:21 AM   #29
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRogerz
I agree with just about everyone here. This game is awesome. Im not very big on the voice acting, but pretty much everything else totally makes up for it. the ambiance, the mystery, the art... so detailed, makes me all giggly.

Has anyone gone past chapter 1?
Im having a field day trying to figure out what im missing!
I am in Chapter 2. What do you need help with? Remember to RIGHT CLICK on everything because right clicking makes the character interact with things. There's lots of hidden things.

Isn't the sound in the game great? SPOOOOOKY.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:29 AM   #30
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

This sounds more promising than I ever could imagine. I want it!
Old 10-26-2003, 10:29 AM   #31
Bearly Here

I agree that the game is working out to be a real good one. Some pixelish moments - but it has an active curser so even those aren't really that bad. I usually went oh yeah - how did I miss that item those times. Great I mean great sound effects and music. I decided to switch to head phones and it was well worth it.

I am near (I think) the end of chapter one. Tantelizing hints of the story and other plot trails. Plays like one of those great classic Peter Lorre or Christopher Lee suspenseful spook movies.

Right now it is raining with hints of thunder outside. So I am waiting for darkness to start this one up again. heh-heh
Old 10-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #32
Cannabis Connoisseur

yea man, sound effects ARE awesome... i play it with my headphones on... soooo cool.
and i never know about the right clicking... this can help greatly... onto the game!
Old 10-26-2003, 01:40 PM   #33
BigRobot

Found a few unhappy campers here:

http://cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme...topic=10722639

Old 10-26-2003, 04:04 PM   #34
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRobot

I agree with some of what they say. I don't think the voices are bad at all. I think they're quite good actually. They're fitting for the game's dark tone. However, when you initiate a conversation with a character, that character has to finish his/her "animation loop" of whatever they're doing at the moment until they actually speak to you. This slows things down a little. If I could change one thing about the game, I'd speed up the animation of the characters a bit.

Otherwise, The Black Mirror is the first graphic adventure to really keep me coming back for more in almost two years.

I'm in Chapter 2!

And if you do get the game, be sure to play it with a good set of headphones! Or if you can crank your speakers up way high, that's just as good. There are some really really great sounds. I did jump out of my seat at one part... for real!
Old 10-26-2003, 04:10 PM   #35
Bearly Here

Edit: Just read Eriqs post which is a better description of the slight lag time at the start of a conversation..

I am in chapter 2 and although the main characters voice seemed a bit flat in chapter 1, either I am getting used to it or its improved in chapter 2. I agree that the voices sound good to me either way. Story is getting more and more Lovecraft like - which I really like.

Its just a straight forward adventure game, mouse controlled, puzzles here and there. Nothing mind breaking but decent challenge level. Personally I don't want to break my brain sometimes - I just want to have a good time, with a great story, involved atmosphere and reasonably difficult puzzles. But if you want a mind bending dedicated puzzler or hate point and click and want a fast paced game - probably wouldn't want to go with this one.

Last edited by LauraMac; 10-26-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:31 PM   #36
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
But if you want a mind bending dedicated puzzler or hate point and click and want a fast paced game - probably wouldn't want to go with this one.

Yup. This is all about the mysterious story. It is very Lovecraft isn't it? Twisted and spooky the way I like it!

I wonder how long the game is. We're only on Chapter 2. I've seen many screenshots of this game (guess I spoiled some of it!) and it looks like there's lots more locations to visit.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:47 PM   #37
Bearly Here

This game does feel like it goes a long long way doesn't it? I haven't really felt like I was moving real slowly or anything - but I am just now into chapter 3.

Yawnnn putting it and me to bed for now. Boy this plot does just get twistier. I have a lot of suspicions right now about a number of characters and events. But who knows where this is going right now. How delicious. heh-heh
Old 10-27-2003, 05:41 AM   #38
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Everybody who has a credit card and doesn't live in America, can order The Black Mirror and LOTS of other games from Canada.

www.dvdboxoffice.com

they are slow, but reliable, and CHEAP!

and the best of all, they have FREE DELIVERY ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!

I haven't ordered yet Black Mirror, but I'm going to, propably in Christmas.

EDIT: For example I ordered Runaway from there, because it's in a cardboard box there, in Finland the game is sold in a plastic dvd box, so as a crazy box hunter I had to buy the best version.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:48 AM   #39
Cognitive Dissonant

Getting my copy today. I play all of my adventure games late-night, as it turns out; looking forward to the extra atmosphere that this game sounds like it has. Thanks for all the positive comments. Animation cycling can be annoying, but I don't think it detracts from the gaming experience unless it's really degenerate.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:06 AM   #40

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Everybody who has a credit card and doesn't live in America, can order The Black Mirror and LOTS of other games from Canada.

www.dvdboxoffice.com

they are slow, but reliable, and CHEAP!

and the best of all, they have FREE DELIVERY ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!

I haven't ordered yet Black Mirror, but I'm going to, propably in Christmas.

EDIT: For example I ordered Runaway from there, because it's in a cardboard box there, in Finland the game is sold in a plastic dvd box, so as a crazy box hunter I had to buy the best version.
I got Tony Tough through them, it took them several months (!), but it is in a real nice cardboard box, with relief etc. And the best indeed is: not shipping costs!
I'll think I'll visit them right away to order BM!

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...