You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword on Playstation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
Adventurer

Default Broken Sword on Playstation

Since BS1 is damn near impossible to find for PC (I ordered my copy from Sold-Out) I jumped at the chance to pick up the playstation version for $10. I'll probably give it out as a be-lated christmas present to one of my friends.
But anyways, I'm just curious as to how it's played, how its interface works. And it also says it supports a mouse... but does that mean a mouse is required? (I didn't now they even had mice (??) for playstation). Can it be played with normal controllers?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

Well, when I first started looking for Broken Sword, the first version I came across was the PS1 version, and if I had stuck it out with that version, I would have come away with the opinion that BS is the WORST ADVENTURE GAME EVER!

Which, it isn't.

Its just the PS1 game has horrible load times, the graphics are sub-par of what they are on the PC, and if I recall correctly, the audio was a bit bleah at times.

Plus, the controls weren't all that hot & the PC version is much better. It might have been slightly better if I had a PS mouse, but even still from my vague recollection of reading the manual, it still would've sucked.

I mean, why not just give your friend a burned copy of your BS plus the PS1 version of Broken Sword. I know that's not entirely legit, but having them play the PS1 version will not win you any bonus points.

SWB
Old 12-29-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
@_@

Send a message via ICQ to Estoy Loco

I have Broken Sword 2 on the PSX and I loved it. You controlled the mouse with the controller and then clicked on things, which was awkward at first, but I got used to it. The audio was a bit low quality as well, but again, you get used to it. I still came away with a great impression of the game.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:23 PM   #4

I'll do anything for this game I live in Australia and my dad doesn't trust this website and is scared to let out his credit card to them, if you get a copy I'll send u in cash if you send me the game my msn messenger is [email protected]

thank you.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:11 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Please don't ask people to copy games for you. It's against our forum rules.

-emily
Old 12-30-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Please don't ask people to copy games for you. It's against our forum rules.

-emily
Um, he may well have been asking for someone to purchase a copy of the game...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-30-2004, 03:15 PM   #7

I've just bidded for the 2 games Broken Sword 1 & 2 (unsealed still in its packet) from sold out for 33 dollars at the moment no one else bidded except for me 4 more days left.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Um, he may well have been asking for someone to purchase a copy of the game...
In THIS thread, anyway.

I usually don't bid until the end of an auction. Bidding at the beginning tends to drive up the price.

-emily
Old 12-31-2004, 01:46 AM   #9
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I have both BS1 and BS2 on PSX..I got them both on PC to..It was broken sword that lead me into adventure games..The controls in psx are quite different to use if you are used to play with a mouse but you´ll get used to it..
Old 01-01-2005, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMW
But anyways, I'm just curious as to how it's played, how its interface works. And it also says it supports a mouse... but does that mean a mouse is required? (I didn't now they even had mice (??) for playstation). Can it be played with normal controllers?
Yes it can be played with the usual gamepad controller.
But I found using the gamepad to be very clumsy for games that were PC ports originally developed for use with a mouse. I bought a PSX mouse on ebay (very cheap too) because I could not get used to the gamepad controls.

If you have a Playstation mouse, you plug it into your PSX in place of the usual controller. The Playstation mouse works the same as a computer mouse would.
Playstation games that can use a mouse should have a little picture of a mouse on the back of the case. Of course if you don't have the case you won't see this. But I've found a lot of PC games that used a mouse and were ported to the PSX do allow the use of a Playstation mouse. The PSX versions of BS1, BS2, Discworld, Myst, and Dracula Resurrection all allow you to use a Playstation mouse. And usually the mouse control is much the same as with the PC version - except without a keyboard for hotkeys you may have to use both mouse buttons at once to access a menu instead of using a hotkey.

A gamepad is fine for games that were designed to use it, but I don't like it for games that were designed for use with a mouse. I don't have much patience for moving a cursor around with gamepad buttons. Of course your mileage may vary.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #11
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

I've got Broken Sword 1&2 on the Playstation. I have a mouse and it works great. I also have the games for Pc, and as someone says it's much better to get it for the Pc (because of the loading times and the poor graphic quality on the playstation version) if you wanna know where to buy Broken Sword games go to Broken Sword Zone click others, "where to buy"
Old 01-05-2005, 12:01 PM   #12
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

I usually don't bid until the end of an auction. Bidding at the beginning tends to drive up the price.

-emily
Well you're not alone, most buyers wait until very last minute of auction, then bid. Good for us, bad for sellers. Oh well, no one said everything on eBay is perfectly solved and worked out.

And to comment WRMW's first post... i wouldn't say it's impossible to find BS for PC, just hard maybe. During my x-mas vacation in Serbia i saw Sold Out versions of both BS1 & BS2 for 7$ each. I was tempted to buy them, but then i changed my mind, since i only buy boxed version of adventure games. I'm weird, i know.

Last edited by VoodooFX; 01-05-2005 at 04:30 PM.