You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Where Do You Buy Your Games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Where Do You Buy Your Games?

There should be a thread that links to great deals on games. Like....

http://www.chumbo.com/info.asp?s=699030111680&ptr=fg

Runaway: 11.99 shipped.

This way, everyone knows where to get them cheap.

Just an idea...
Old 11-09-2004, 07:00 PM   #2
guybrush_guy

it's a good idea, but i dont think many people would use it.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
Banned User

Ah well, I was just trying to help out. No points off for trying!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:44 PM   #4
lemonhead11

Do you use Chumbo? I've browsed there but I've never known if it was reliable or not.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead11
Do you use Chumbo? I've browsed there but I've never known if it was reliable or not.
I haven't as of yet, but I plan to tomorrow to buy Runaway.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I picked up Runaway on the Amazon.com marketplace for $9

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 11-09-2004, 09:56 PM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerShard
I picked up Runaway on the Amazon.com marketplace for $9
Does that include shipping?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:01 PM   #8
Resident AG Ninja

Shipping is $2.50-$3.50, don't remember exactly

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 11-09-2004, 10:11 PM   #9
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerShard
Shipping is $2.50-$3.50, don't remember exactly
But is that included in the $9? Because if not, then the total would be at least $11.50, and if the one you bought was used, then the one I posted is still the better deal.

It's too bad there wasn't a forum here to buy/sell/trade adventure games.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:26 PM   #10
Resident AG Ninja

Amazon.com marketplace is similar to ebay, except you don't bid, you just buy. Right now they have a new copy of Runway for $8 on there. I mentioned it not just because of Runaway, but you can get lots of other games there too for good prices. I buy a lot of games, CDs, and DVDs used. Saves a lot of cash.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:59 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to fishcube

Saw Runaway at Best Buy for $9.99. Plan to pick it up the next time I'm in there.

We don't have any place to buy used games.

Sharonkay
Starting soon: Barrow Hill, Scratches
Future or restarts: TMOS, Echo, The Last Express, Broken Sword-Dragon, RTMI, Myst/Riven/Exile, Nancy Drew Crystal Skull
Finished: StillLife, Nibiru, Syberia I&II, TLJ, Black Mirror, Sanitarium, Runaway.
For trade: Schizm
---
Looking at getting a Raon Everun Note or Wibrain i1
--
HP dv9500t
Old 11-10-2004, 08:09 AM   #12
23 Railway Cuttings

Amazon itself or Amazon Marketplace is usually my first port of call. Then I try some lesser known online retailers and then it's eBay if I have no other way of getting the game.

I would personally avoid Play.com as I have had some pretty bad experiences with them - not delivering pre-ordered items, delivery the wrong items (twice!), poor customer service and support and total lack of internal communication. It got so bad I closed my account in the end.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:11 AM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
Amazon itself or Amazon Marketplace is usually my first port of call. Then I try some lesser known online retailers and then it's eBay if I have no other way of getting the game.

I would personally avoid Play.com as I have had some pretty bad experiences with them - not delivering pre-ordered items, delivery the wrong items (twice!), poor customer service and support and total lack of internal communication. It got so bad I closed my account in the end.
Is amazon better than half.com?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:38 AM   #14
23 Railway Cuttings

Never heard of half.com, but I just had a quick look and it seems to be along the lines of eBay (ie. we'll put the structure in place for you to trade, but if someone rips you off, you're on your own - that's why eBay is always a last resort for me).

On top of that, it is US-based so therefore no good for me anyway.

I am a fan of Amazon - I must have bought hundreds of things (new and used) and have never had a single problem). I will say though that their customer service is starting to approach eBay's in quality (ie. it's sh1t and becoming sh1tter by the day)
Old 11-10-2004, 08:43 AM   #15
Resident AG Ninja

I would say half.com and Amazon.com Marketplace are similar. I tend to shop at Amazon.com Marketplace more though. I've had a few bad experiences on Half.com with buying an item and the person having already sold it elsewhere. The same thing can happen on amazon marketplace though...

Old 11-10-2004, 08:44 AM   #16
23 Railway Cuttings

It can, but in my experience it doesn't.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:08 AM   #17
Resident AG Ninja

I have to disagree with your comment about Amazon.com's customer service. A few weeks ago I ordered a few items and chose super saver shipping. The same night, I ordered another item. I wanted to combine my two orders, but you are not allowed to combine super saver shipping orders. I changed my shipping method to standard, but it still gave me the same reason for not being able to combine them. I sent Amazon.com an email about it. Well, my items got shipped that night, so they couldn't combine them, but they did refund all of my shipping ($9), so I am happy.

Old 11-10-2004, 09:14 AM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Sharon, do you have any Goodwill stores or other thrift shops around?

I've found a bunch of used games (mostly older ones from the 90s and early 2000s) at these types of stores. They are often mixed in with the audio CDs but sometimes boxed, too.

-emily
Old 11-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #19
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Sharon, do you have any Goodwill stores or other thrift shops around?

I've found a bunch of used games (mostly older ones from the 90s and early 2000s) at these types of stores. They are often mixed in with the audio CDs but sometimes boxed, too.

-emily

Think they have some at salvation army? There's one near here. Maybe i'll check it out.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:30 AM   #20
fov
Rattenmonster

I have seen games at the Salvation Army but the ones I've seen there have been more expensive than I think they should be. Could just be that the SA stores around here are overpriced.