You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure MYST IV really does suck....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2004, 07:17 AM   #1

Default MYST IV really does suck....

I do not understand what all the hype is about. Personally im really let down with this title. These types of "adventure" games really do bother me, ive never like any of the Myst series. I simply cannot see the pleasure in noodling my brain with my most tediously boring,contrived, overly-academic puke inducing mathmatical formula's and cryptic logic.. FERK SAKE! i mean honestly i purchase a game as a means of enjoyment, relaxation,escape and wonder, if i wished to take part in such ridiculously hard to solve "puzzles" i would fill out my bloody annual tax return.

More over WHAT the hell do "gamespy" see in the "breathtaking" graphics ???

So far ive been greeted with exceedingly boring actors, grainy/brurry pre-renderd backdrops, BILE RISING colour schemes ( try snot green Heaven, its not pretty i can assure you)... did i mention GRAINY SH*TTY backdrops ?

SO second time ive been sucked in, once again, i can now go throw "MYST 4" on top of MYST 3, which i was also sucked into buy, i have yet to even bother completing it out of sheer dis-interest...

Bahh

Oh by the way, Hello
Old 10-23-2004, 07:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::Limester::

I do not understand what all the hype is about. Personally im really let down with this title. These types of "adventure" games really do bother me, ive never like any of the Myst series.
Hmm, if you didn't like the previous Myst games, then why even bother with Myst IV? It's obviously a game that will appeal to the people who liked the predecessors, but not to people who found them boring and unappealing.

Oh, and welcome.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:24 AM   #3
Doctor Watson

You should tell this to people at Just Adventure+ forums. They hate Myst there, oh my, they DO.

I might have been joking there.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:27 AM   #4

I find it hard to resist a purchase a title that seems to be rating so well. Probably a mistake i will not make in future though

Nice to be here
Old 10-24-2004, 03:22 AM   #5
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
SO second time ive been sucked in, once again, i can now go throw "MYST 4" on top of MYST 3, which i was also sucked into buy, i have yet to even bother completing it out of sheer dis-interest...
You didn't like the original but bought TWO sequels? Did you buy Riven as well?

All joking aside, this is the reason why I ignore the hype and carefully read the reviews. Personally I won't even think about buying Myst IV until I've seen the AG review of it (which is due any time now). Even if it then gets a 5 star rating I won't play it if the review details show it's full of things that I, as an individual, dislike which would ruin my gaming experience.

Personally I like Myst's "overly-academic puke inducing mathmatical formula's and cryptic logic" but it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing wouldn't it.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #6

The game does not suck at all. My opinion. Period.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:04 AM   #7
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quote:
I find it hard to resist a purchase a title that seems to be rating so well. Probably a mistake i will not make in future though

Nice to be here
So did Doom 3, but would you buy it if you hated horror and first person shooters?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:10 AM   #8
DAVE

I like adventure games and I hated Myst. It's a question of me preferring adventure games where you're not playing in first person and you have a more "urban" or more fantasy (with gnolls and witches and ogres and wizards a la Discworld) but Myst probably doesn't suck, it's just not your type.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:14 AM   #9
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzingmarko
The game does not suck at all. My opinion. Period.

ditto!

Old 10-24-2004, 10:41 AM   #10
Friendly Server Admin

I have to be in the right mood for Myst. Every now and then I get the urge to play something along those lines, but for a lot of the time I find it kind of dull.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:38 AM   #11
merely human

Quote:
So you're telling you hadn't learned your lesson and payed attention to what you prefer instead of what they say you should? Just admit it, Myst type games don't interest you. Stay away from them. It would help if you defined what kinds of adventure games exactly you like and then pay attention only to those for a while.

Quote:
Oh by the way, Hello
Welcome to the community. 8-)
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 10-24-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:58 PM   #12

Well I like the Myst games as I like the mechanical logic puzzles. There's beauty not only in Myst's pre-rendered back drops, but in the logic behind the puzzles, the way you slowly discover hints and everything subtly connects together to give you a puzzle solution.
Thats the difference between the puzzles in Myst and filling in a tax return - the puzzles in Myst have a beauty all the best puzzles have.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #13
Retirement is stupid

And let me add--from the perspective of a CPA--that there is nothing at all boring about filling out a tax return.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 10-24-2004, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
And let me add--from the perspective of a CPA--that there is nothing at all boring about filling out a tax return.
HAHAHA! That made my night. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:30 PM   #15
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
I agree... I enjoy filling out my tax returns in the secure knowledge that I make so little money that I'm basically guaranteed a decent refund
Old 10-25-2004, 11:34 AM   #16
Lurking Myst Missionary

this whole thread has given me the giggles. I have no idea why.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:20 PM   #17
23 Railway Cuttings

I actually enjoyed the original Myst greatly and grew less fond of the sequels as they appeared (although I own Riven and Exile). I never bought URU because it was panned (rightly so) but Revelation was given very high scores. So I've been playing it for the last 4 days and I'm afraid that I'm thoroughly bored of the whole thing. Yes, the graphics are occasionally pretty but the puzzles are just the same dull nonsense and there has been no innovation here at all in 10 years.

It's also painfully slow at times and more often that not there is no way to skip a cutscene. The lip synch is miles out, the game needs a lot of gamma correction before some areas are properly visible, the subtitles don't work at all even though I have presumably paid for them since they are listed on the box cover and I have to wonder how and why it gets 90+% in most reviews.

So it's safe to say I won't be supporting this franchise ever again - looks like it's third person for me all the way from now on...
Old 10-25-2004, 12:44 PM   #18
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
I never bought URU because it was panned (rightly so) but Revelation was given very high scores.
I loved realMyst and Uru, precisely because they're in real time 3D, the exact original vision Rob and Rand Miller had over ten years ago! Experiencing them in a 'walk into our universe' style really brings the point home to me that...

Quote:
Myst was probably one the first really deeply narrative agames to make a big splash. The reason for this is that it was based on a fundamental quality of play: discovery. ....it was the process of constructing the story in your head that made the game compelling. Myst - as weall as its sequels - is like a treasure hunt in that regard, which is really its genius. It is also based on the unspoken but inherent implication that the player is smart. This is one of the things that draws people into these orts of games. Game players do not like to be spoon fed their narrative. They like to uncover it at their own pace. And the longer it takes, the harder it is, the better. Because if they succeed, they feel that much smarter for having done so.
Celia Pearce, Game On: The History And Culture Of Videogames, 2002

Quote:
So I've been playing it for the last 4 days and I'm afraid that I'm thoroughly bored of the whole thing. Yes, the graphics are occasionally pretty but the puzzles are just the same dull nonsense and there has been no innovation here at all in 10 years.

So it's safe to say I won't be supporting this franchise ever again - looks like it's third person for me all the way from now on...
I think you've hit the nail on the head, as well as shed light on the contradiction. It is the same old puzzles that will not earn the Myst series any credit (or even a potential new audience?) for progressive game design, yet it is these same old puzzles that preserve the old fanbase and reputation. You're right, the graphics are beautiful but it's the same old tired formula. It would be interesting to see what happens if Cyan experimented with new puzzle designs, new narrative styles, and other concepts (online co-op play b/t 2-4 players?) alongside the traditional 'Mystian' philosophy.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-25-2004, 04:48 PM   #19
Fienepien

Dull nonsense is in the eye of the beholder, no problem here.
But then you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
It's also painfully slow at times and more often that not there is no way to skip a cutscene. The lip synch is miles out, the game needs a lot of gamma correction before some areas are properly visible, the subtitles don't work at all
It's slow and the subtitles don't work, but the lip synch is fine on my computer and I haven't felt the need to fiddle with the gamma correction.

Quote:
looks like it's third person for me all the way from now on...
So please tell me all about the innovation of the last ten years in 3rd-person, inventory-based dialogue-driven adventures...?

Old 10-25-2004, 08:18 PM   #20
Bearly Here

Quote:
Uh huh. We need to get you out of the house more Evan, I really worry about you sometimes