You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Ron Gilbert interviewed by Idle Thumbs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default Ron Gilbert interviewed by Idle Thumbs

Chris (remixor) and I sat down for three hours with Ron Gilbert a couple weeks back and chatted about a bunch of stuff. The first half is now up over at Idle Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gilbert
What they need to do, what Ubisoft needs to do, is do Beyond Good and Evil 2. They should immediately turn around and do that again, because that game got very good reviews, it certainly has—I don't know if I'd call it a cult following—a group of people who really like that. There's something about that game that appealed to people. They should hit it again.

[...]

When we started Humongous Entertainment, people told us we were crazy to do adventure games for kids. Because the only things you were supposed to do for kids were math drills, reading drills, and whatnot. We put out the first game, and it got really good reviews, and, you know, it didn't do very well. But we put out another one. We believed enough in it. And, it really wasn't until we'd put about three or four of those things that it started to catch, and when it did, it caught really really big.

But, you know, even after Humongous was very established, when we would put out a new game with a new character, the first one would not do very well. And, you know, people would say, "You shouldn't do another one of those. Pajama Sam: failure. No more Pajama Sam." And we'd go, "No no, we're going to do another one." And then the second one or the third one would hit.
Take a look at the whole thing right here.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 10-15-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
merely human

Um, care to add a 'u' to that [/rl], mister?

EDIT: LOL! Thanks!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien