You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The "Is Broken Sword 3 an adventure game?" FAQ

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2003, 12:31 AM   #21
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

feisar: I just have to ask, though. Where are you ACTUALLY getting these assumptions? Every single person who thinks this game is going to have anything to do with platformers seems to just think "because it seems like it", ignoring what has actually been said by the press and people who have PLAYED the game, not just seen videos. I honestly will never understand why these debates even exist.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-17-2003, 12:42 AM   #22

Send a message via ICQ to Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisar
(........Which is more than can be said for poor old Phase Paradox which never made it out of japan because no-one in Europe or the US wanted a console adventure game)
That's because playing an adventure game on a kiddies games console is like eating a Bouillabaisse in a Fish and Chip shop.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:48 AM   #23
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt
That's because playing an adventure game on a kiddies games console is like eating a Bouillabaisse in a Fish and Chip shop.
You mean you always get your order, its always what you ordered and it tastes just like it was meant by the chef?

It arrives complete and ready to eat, you don't need to add anything or get your own hands dirty making it work? It doesn't require another half hour plus of home preparation before you can even take a bite?

Your bowl wont up and tip the meal on the ground for some unfathomable reason?
Old 10-17-2003, 05:52 AM   #24
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk

Your bowl wont up and tip the meal on the ground for some unfathomable reason?
I think I understood your analogy until this bit....
Old 10-17-2003, 05:58 AM   #25

Strange, I understood it all.

LOL
Old 10-17-2003, 05:58 AM   #26
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Every single person who thinks this game is going to have anything to do with platformers seems to just think "because it seems like it", ignoring what has actually been said by the press and people who have PLAYED the game, not just seen videos.
Yeah did Marek going through the demo with a fine toothed comb at E3 and then writing a lengthy preview about it not matter? He's clearly not out to manipulate people into accidentally buying an action game.

I think everyone is entitled to have their doubts as to whether or not BS3 will be a good game or not, but I'm tired of these doubts manifesting themselves in phrases like "but from whats been shown BS3 is very close in terms of gameplay and action to prisoner of war and harry potter," which is a false statement. I saw BS3 at E3 too, and it's an adventure game.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 10-17-2003, 06:09 AM   #27
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
it would be easier to push the game as an adventure because of the millions of people that bought the last two, all the revolution fans and that other than BS3 there arent really any high profile western developed adventure games to rival BS3.
That's a good point. Certainly, the people are actually listening to Cecil are the AG fans, while the non-AG fans are just going to read GameSpot or the box cover or whatever.

I am a bit worried that the box pushing thing will get repetitive, but I don't think in the least that this game is going to require primal reflexes or some such.

Sorry if I'm not typing straight.. It was Diversity Day (read: eat a lot of foreign food day) at work, and I'm eating a samosa (sp?), which is quite spicy. Mmm....

np Cake - It's Coming Down

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-17-2003, 06:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
.. It was Diversity Day (read: eat a lot of foreign food day) ...
I do that every day

But I digress....................
Old 10-17-2003, 06:45 AM   #29

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt
I do that every day

But I digress....................
Yeah, 'cept this was approx 3 big tables full of crockpots, cakes and candies for maybe 40 people. *insert smiley with gut hanging out, or at least a *

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-17-2003, 07:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I honestly will never understand why these debates even exist.
Look at the first entry in this thread rem, sometimes i think you guys WANT to debate about this.. yah its interesting but i think this subject has taken its toll already.

Cant we all just wait the month and shutup about bs3 till then.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:11 AM   #31

As the author of the first entry in this thread, I have to wonder why you think it was intended to start an argument. I wrote it to inform. I included humor at the expense of Mr. Q, but Mr. A gave informative answers to all of Mr. Q's questions. No offense, but I would hate for people to read your comments and take them as fact.

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-17-2003, 11:29 AM   #32
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82
I would love to, by all means. Let's not forget who prompted many of these responses, though... As twif says, the last thing we want is for people to read unsubstantiated conjecture and assume it's somehow informed.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-17-2003, 11:32 AM   #33
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82
Look at the first entry in this thread rem, sometimes i think you guys WANT to debate about this.. yah its interesting but i think this subject has taken its toll already.

Well, I've seen worse discussions about BS3.

Some people even already say it's the tombstone on Revolutions grave.

--Erwin
Old 10-19-2003, 06:31 AM   #34

Send a message via MSN to feisar

I'm not saying the game will be bad, although for all I know it might be?? But I'm really looking forward to its release. But I dont know if it is a proper adventure title. Harry Potter has no real action scenes, the jumping/action/whatever is the same as BS3's as in it has the buttons in the top corner of the screen, tells you what each one does, this changes for the situation.. the ways that BS3's handling and all the explanation of the jumping/action is identical to that in Harry Potter or Prisoner Of War.. Although Harry Potter has sub games like the flying through rings thing..

Prisoner Of War doesnt even have the action situations, there is no combat at all. Its just puzzles, plot, planning and working out where you need to be when. Yet POW is not classified as an adventure but BS3 is assumed to be one purely because of the previous games...

This is a disscussion board. I dont know why people are being hostile purely because I expressed an opinion.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:54 AM   #35
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneb
"People play adventure games as familys, the majority of players are women. In this action event people playing as family's will be shouting out hit her with the fridge, It's very interactive"
lol I love that quote Theneb! Did he say that at that SightSonic event?

And feis; I think the big difference here is that as well as these elements you mention (which have been seen before in other ags to varying extents anyway) is that you still have the inventory puzzles; conversation puzzles; exploration puzzles that make it an adventure. While they've added new bits here and there; it still has those key elements of adventure games at its heart.

I agree that he did hype ICB. But it was still quite a good game; and I think it would have made a great Adventure game. Even with all the action elements in tact, if they'd expanded the adventure side it'd would have been a very interesting and unique adventure/action game (the action side as it was would be light enough to be enjoyable to adventure fans while still making you plan and think). I actually do think it had the potential to be better than MGS. I've played MGS2 and my god! It's terrible, the actual game play side is very good but the exposition is rubbish and the cut scenes drag on and on and on; plus the dialogue is dire imo.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 10-19-2003, 07:09 AM   #36
merely human

Quote:
Prisoner Of War doesnt even have the action situations, there is no combat at all. Its just puzzles, plot, planning and working out where you need to be when. Yet POW is not classified as an adventure but BS3 is assumed to be one purely because of the previous games...

Then why wasn't POW categorized as a strategy or even tactical game if it involves "...planning and working out where you need to be when"?

I think what we all need to do is to stop being such goddamn tightasses about our definition of what an adventure game is. I am not saying, however, that we can include liberal doses of direct controlled action (i.e. player controlled). What I'm saying is that, based on this and other related discussions, our collective definition of adventure game seems severely constricting, to the point where we end up bickering over such matters as whether the player is directly involved in the action or only cerebrally. We need to lighten up, people. From what feisar stated, it sounds like Prisoner of War really is an adventure game. But my speculation is that hardcore adventure gamers dismissed it as an action game perhaps because it was 3D and involved things like stealth and strategy. Well, The Watchmaker was in 3D and involved some level of strategizing (switching b/t characters to get more info), and that game is unmistakenly an adventure. Hell, there are even some bits of action and violence in it!

I'll find a demo of Prisoner of War to play and give my own account. It looks to be an adventure game built around suspense, with healthy doses of strategy.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently there is no PC demo for PoW. Damn, big mistake on the publisher's part. Anyway, I read a bit more about the game. feisar, I think PoW has actually more in common with the Hitman series and Splinter Cell. It has action, even though, from what you stated, the player is not directly involved in controlling it, merely clicking the key and the character performs the stunt. Still, I wouldn't classify PoW as a 'pure' adventure. But I probably would loosely call it an adventure, but specify that it requires strategy of the player.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 10-19-2003 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:11 AM   #37
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

Quote:
I guess I'll just re-quote myself:

Quote:
An acquaintance of me works at Sony as a beta tester, and he has played through the game at least twice. This is what he had to say about the Tomb Raider vs Adventure question:

Quote:
I am well suprised. It IS an adventure game.. only in 3D. [..] NOTHING like Tomb Raider thank fully. More like Grim fandango, only full 3D. Perhaps suited more to a console controller than a PC keyboard
Seems like you're doing the assuming.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:37 AM   #38

Send a message via MSN to feisar

eh? what exactly does tomb raider have to do with this? *confused*

Prisoner Of War is more a puzzle game than an adventure or strategy.. or its not really in a genre at all.. Ive got the PS2 version its not really like Splinter Cell/Hitman, there is no button bashing, no reaction dependent stuff, but there is jumping. Its actually a bit of a really good idea and really well done.. but pretty much ruined by its publishers codemasters, it came from their lowest/darkest hour when they decided to let people poke their fingers in and mess up almost complete games.. POW sufferes from pointless over-americanism, poor presentation and a lack of direction - the developers wanted to go one way and the publishers another entirely.. the game is like the result of a needless powerstruggle. An enjoyable powerstuggle neverless. Hopefully the developers will get another chance..

Anyway, about BS3 being adventure or not. It makes no difference at all.. Except this is an adventure game site. Which like other sites is ignoring full 3D pure adventure games in favour of hybrid's and action titles. Giving the false impression that the only way for the genre to go is a more action route. Im not saying AG shouldnt cover titles like Sam & Max 2 or BS3 but if they do then shouldn't they really cover pure adventures like Glass Rose too? and perhaps shouldnt they have covered shadow of memories when it came out (or at least put links in their news section)?
Old 10-19-2003, 12:03 PM   #39

Quote:
eh? what exactly does tomb raider have to do with this? *confused*
Quote:
BS3 is assumed to be one purely because of the previous games
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiO
An acquaintance of me works at Sony as a beta tester, and he has played through the game at least twice.
That's what.

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-19-2003, 02:50 PM   #40
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

I never was particularly awed by Revolution's titles. The only adventure of theirs that I have never played is the first BS game.

And now they're making this platformer thing and passing it as an adventure...