You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure King's Quest V: voices?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor
Default King's Quest V: voices?

Hey, just a quick question about KQ5. I played this game around when KQ6 came out, in 92 or so, and I'm trying to remember if there was a speech version released. I seem to remember the copy I had as having voices, but I can't quite be sure, and I'm having trouble finding a CD copy of the game. Obviously if it had full voice support it would have had to be on CD, and it would have had to be re-release as well, the original was released in 1990. Anyone have any information on the matter?

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-14-2003, 09:01 PM   #2

Kings Quest V in the Kings Quest Collection had voices. (That collection was completely worth it just for the two Laura Bow games. )
Old 10-14-2003, 09:13 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Do you know if they released a standalone version of KQ5 with voices?

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-14-2003, 09:18 PM   #4

I have the King's Quest collectors edition and it's only got KQ 1-6.... no Laura Bow at all. I have the Dagger of Amon Ra seperately, though. Still I'd really like to play the first one as well...
Old 10-14-2003, 09:28 PM   #5

remixor: I don't know... I doubt Sierra would have implemented voice acting and stuff in the game just for the collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo

I have the King's Quest collectors edition and it's only got KQ 1-6.... no Laura Bow at all. I have the Dagger of Amon Ra seperately, though. Still I'd really like to play the first one as well...
I think the Kings Quest Collection that was released in Australia was more like the Roberta Williams Anthology. It has all seven of the games, The Colonal's Bequest, and The Dagger Of Amon Ra.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
remixor: I don't know... I doubt Sierra would have implemented voice acting and stuff in the game just for the collection.
Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't buy the game myself, but the CD was given to me by a friend. It's conceivable that it could have been taken out of a collection, but I doubt it.

And to Ninja Dodo: There are so many friggin King's Quest collections, and Roberta Williams collections, and Sierra collections and anthologies and collector's editions that it's pretty much impossible to assume that any of them will include all of the same stuff

Old 10-14-2003, 11:36 PM   #7
Banned User

Yes, they released a voice only CD in that "Sierra Originals" thing that flooded the markets back in 92. (As I remember, Space Quest four was everywhere. Even where it was not supposed to be... like on Friends, America''s favorite sitcom.)
Old 10-14-2003, 11:45 PM   #8
The Robot Head of Love

Send a message via ICQ to zarathustrian Send a message via AIM to zarathustrian Send a message via MSN to zarathustrian Send a message via Yahoo to zarathustrian

I purchased my CD copy of King's Quest V in one of the countless "10-in-1" multimedia CD packs that was released in the early 90's. I remember mine coming with the shareware version of Doom as well (I know, horrible waste of a CD--the thing fit on one or two floppy discs).
Old 10-15-2003, 01:43 AM   #9
BigRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathustrian
I purchased my CD copy of King's Quest V in one of the countless "10-in-1" multimedia CD packs that was released in the early 90's. I remember mine coming with the shareware version of Doom as well (I know, horrible waste of a CD--the thing fit on one or two floppy discs).
We must've purchased identical bundles. It was the first thing I'd bought for my brand new cd-rom computer. The King's Quest V included did indeed have voices.

Old 10-15-2003, 02:04 AM   #10

So nobody knows whether there was an individually-boxed version of KQ5 with voices? I'm doing the rounds on Ebay, and if there IS a voice version, I really only want to buy that one. That "games I've finished" thread has had me itching to replay some of those games (and finish the ones I never finished), but the copy I played oh so many years ago was only lent to me, and I haven't had a copy since then.

Old 10-15-2003, 02:07 AM   #11
Liver of Life

I'm just wondering because my memory fails me, is KQV subtitled: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow?

If so, the CD I played it on had voiced, and I *think* it was stand alone...
Old 10-15-2003, 02:09 AM   #12

No, that's KQ6 (aka The Most Awesome King's Quest Ever), of which I own several copies, actually, including the talkie one. KQ5 is Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder, which, if my decade-old-memories are correct, has you play Graham, and you have an annoying owl. In KQ6 you play Alexander.

Old 10-15-2003, 03:07 AM   #13
The Dude

Send a message via AIM to mrdunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
So nobody knows whether there was an individually-boxed version of KQ5 with voices? I'm doing the rounds on Ebay, and if there IS a voice version, I really only want to buy that one. That "games I've finished" thread has had me itching to replay some of those games (and finish the ones I never finished), but the copy I played oh so many years ago was only lent to me, and I haven't had a copy since then.
I actually have a copy of the Sierra Originals CD, which I bought several years before the Collection came out. It has voices on it. As a matter of fact, the King's Quest 1 & 2 remakes that Tierra did, used the actor who voiced Graham in KQ5.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:26 AM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

yes, i'm pretty sure there was a standalone boxed version of KQ5 with voices. i have a copy (no box, just jewel case) that does not say SierraOriginals anywhere on it, so i'm pretty sure it came out of a box at some point. and it has voices. i believe it was marketed as the "multimedia" version of the game.

here's a link to what i think is the same version i have.

if you have a burning desire to know exactly when the voice version was released, you could pose your question at ken williams' board -- www.sierragamers.com

-emily

ps did you ever get KQ6 working on win2000?
Old 10-15-2003, 04:53 AM   #15
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

There was a BOXED copy of King's Quest 5 and it had a sticker on it that said "MPC version". It is a version of the snowy blue box and not the super-original box with the children flying into Daventry. The "Sierra Originals" boxes are value priced versions of all their multimedia CD games but they're not the original boxed releases as they don't contain some of the original documentation in the nice printed format they started as.

Really, however, the CD version of King's Quest V is a horrible mess in the voice acting department. I think Roberta Williams even plays the weeping willow (along with the whole Sierra staff playing various parts). It's just too painful to listen to while you're playing. But it's a treasure of a game.

FOV's version is the value priced boxed version but her link is, in fact, the super cool multimedia version in the snowy blue box and should contain all the original materials. It is a rare find because the CD boxed version in that format was only out for a short time before the cold hand of Sierra corporate decided to stuff the remaining CDs into value priced boxes.

Did you get all that Sierra dumplings? I'm your teacher Mr.Sierra, so just scream any questions you may have about Sierra history.... now if you could all follow me into the art department please. Please don't dawdle behind.

FOV's version

AWESOME original multimedia version

Last edited by eriq; 10-15-2003 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:47 AM   #16
Banned User

Eh I don't like King's Quest anyways, someone should buy my Sierra originals version.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:51 AM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
FOV's version is the value priced boxed version but her link is, in fact, the super cool multimedia version in the snowy blue box and should contain all the original materials. It is a rare find because the CD boxed version in that format was only out for a short time before the cold hand of Sierra corporate decided to stuff the remaining CDs into value priced boxes.
i meant that the copy i had did not appear to be a sierra originals version, and since i bought it at a thrift shop i assumed it had at one point been in a box but the box had been lost. i do have the original booklet from my Macintosh days... but i believe the CD game had the copy protection removed, anyway (Sierra Bigwigs: "Who could POSSIBLY have the power to copy a CD?!")

however, looking at the ebay link, mine does appear to be the sierra originals version... at least, mine has the same booklet cover thingie as the one in that link.

creepy. have you been peering through my bedroom window at night?

emily

ps i take it back -- my game does have the same light blue CD insert as the sierra originals version, but the CD does not say SierraOriginals -- it says KQ5 multimedia. but i guess it doesn't matter which i have, as long as it runs (which it does)...

Last edited by fov; 10-15-2003 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:09 AM   #18
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
creepy. have you been peering through my bedroom window at night?
emily
I'm watching you with my glass eye dearie!

Old 10-15-2003, 07:14 AM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
I'm watching you with my glass eye dearie!
:eek:

but that's a different KQ game altogether...

-emily
Old 10-15-2003, 10:08 AM   #20

Thanks a million, fov and eriq And thanks to fov for that link; I just bought it

And fov: no, despite my discussions with you and on the KQ6 board, I couldn't get past that stupid out of hunk error It's quite frustrating. I really need to buy a new PC so I can run some stuff that's currently coming out (my computer is way beyond the technology curve), and I think I'll load that one with 98. Maybe that'll help. It'll be a few months at least, but hey.