You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure King's Quest V: voices?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2003, 10:26 AM   #21
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
Eh I don't like King's Quest anyways, someone should buy my Sierra originals version.
How much?

I've, er, lost my copy of KQ6 and would really love to play it again. Last time I played it I was stuck

Spoiler:
in the Labyrinth(?) searching for the minotaur
Old 10-15-2003, 10:28 AM   #22
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
And thanks to fov for that link; I just bought it
bought-it-now, eh?

hope it runs better for you than kq6 did...

-emily
Old 10-15-2003, 10:34 AM   #23
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Bought-it-now indeed.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll be able to get it running as soon as I get it, but it really doesn't matter. I'm know going to get it EVENTUALLY (even if I have to buy an old $50 486 or something, which are common on Ebay), so if I can find a copy for 15 bucks now and it's the exact version I want, why not?

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-15-2003, 05:27 PM   #24
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Anyway, I don't know if I'll be able to get it running as soon as I get it, but it really doesn't matter. I'm know going to get it EVENTUALLY (even if I have to buy an old $50 486 or something, which are common on Ebay), so if I can find a copy for 15 bucks now and it's the exact version I want, why not?
FREE Computer/monitor/keyboard

-emily (craigslist junky)
Old 10-15-2003, 06:12 PM   #25

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Hey, thanks a bunch for the link, but even within the East Bay I don't think that's feasable for me Without my car, it's just not happening.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-15-2003, 06:13 PM   #26
fov
Rattenmonster

when i was in college we had to walk 5 miles just to get to a supermarket... in the snow... uphill... both ways...

Old 10-15-2003, 06:16 PM   #27

I DO walk to the supermarket : P

There's just no way I'm walking to this guy's place if he's out of my area code And buses freak the crap out of me if I haven't taken them a million times already. What a new user-unfriendly system.

Old 10-16-2003, 03:11 AM   #28
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Am I looking at the same page? I don't see indication of location.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-16-2003, 04:38 AM   #29
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
And buses freak the crap out of me if I haven't taken them a million times already. What a new user-unfriendly system.
<giggles at the thought of lugging a computer, keyboard, and monitor across the east bay on a bus>

don't feel bad, i had jury duty last month and it involved a long scary bus ride through the tenderloin district (3 days in a row). the bus ride probably created more stress than jury duty itself. i got to change busses right across the street from the famous o'farrell theater. felt very small and... white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
Am I looking at the same page? I don't see indication of location.
craigstlist is a california bay area website. (well, the original was... there are offshoots now for other US cities.) the location of this computer (shown at the top of the page... or not... it was shown somewhere, i'm sure of it) is albany / el cerrito, which incidentally, IS in the same area code as berkeley.

i've actually had some good finds on craigslist. i'm in the process of buying RAMA (with manual) for $1. i'll wind up paying more than that in shipping because i'm not willing to drive downtown to pick the game up... but still!

-emily

ps oh wait... are we off topic? yes! King's Quest 5 has voices!!
Old 10-16-2003, 04:42 AM   #30
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Yes it does! They are scary voices!

Remixor, which version did you buy? I hope you got the nice original boxed multimedia version or I will be very unhappy.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #31
JOOM

Send a message via AIM to joom

Quote:
Hey, just a quick question about KQ5. I played this game around when KQ6 came out, in 92 or so, and I'm trying to remember if there was a speech version released. I seem to remember the copy I had as having voices, but I can't quite be sure, and I'm having trouble finding a CD copy of the game. Obviously if it had full voice support it would have had to be on CD, and it would have had to be re-release as well, the original was released in 1990. Anyone have any information on the matter?
Yeah, I know that the floppy version had complete voices done by the animators and creators themselves(Graham's voice sucked!). Haven't tried the CD version. Hey! I need help! Do you have the translation for the spell glyphs? I can't get off the stupid beach! lol!
[email protected]
Old 01-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #32
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
when i was in college we had to walk 5 miles just to get to a supermarket... in the snow... uphill... both ways...

Eh, you whippersnappers, with your SHOES and your FEET, carrying you places! In my day, we had to pull ourselves across the floor everywhere! No one had them newfangled inventions to get around!! We just had our hands, dagnabbit....

What was the topic? oh yeah, the King's Quest Collection had the talkie version...grrrr, Cedric was one of those characters you couldn't wait to see die...what a horrible voice. At one point, I actually considered letting him die from an action he performed...but there some other cool things in that collection, including the VERY old Hi-Res Adventures...
Old 01-05-2005, 05:11 PM   #33
fov
Rattenmonster

Ack! I couldn't remember making that supermarket comment and thought maybe my evil twin was running rampant again. Then I saw the date. (My memory expires after a year or so...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joom
Yeah, I know that the floppy version had complete voices done by the animators and creators themselves(Graham's voice sucked!). Haven't tried the CD version.
A floppy version with voices? I thought only the CD versions had voices.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:25 AM   #34

Default Game Manuals Kings Quest collection

Hi, I too have the King's Quest collectors edition, but I can't play because I Do not have the original manuals to pass the word-lookup progtection. I have two original CD's'but not the manuals. Any advice?

Maarten Keijzers
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo

and it's only got KQ 1-6.... no Laura Bow at all. I have the Dagger of Amon Ra seperately, though. Still I'd really like to play the first one as well...
Old 02-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #35
fov
Rattenmonster

Hi Maarten.

I answered your post about this in the Hints forum.

-emily
Old 02-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
Yes, they released a voice only CD in that "Sierra Originals" thing that flooded the markets back in 92. (As I remember, Space Quest four was everywhere. Even where it was not supposed to be... like on Friends, America''s favorite sitcom.)
But... but... Friends wasn't around in 92. The show started in 94.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #37
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by joom
Yeah, I know that the floppy version had complete voices done by the animators and creators themselves(Graham's voice sucked!).
As the voice of King Graham for KQV, KQVI, and the Tierra remakes, I'd just like to say: although I was on staff at Sierra at the time, I'm a professionally trained actor and voiceover performer, and I did Graham the way I was directed to do it. I strongly sensed it was "not right" (cough cough) at the time, but the directors were absolutely insistent that it be done precisely the way I did it. The same goes for all the performers, some of whom had a decent theatrical background when they walked into the studio.

As proof that it was not the actors' fault, I would offer that the directors also clearly felt Cedric was done just the way they wanted it to be done. 'Nuff said.

--Josh
Old 02-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #38
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho
As proof that it was not the actors' fault, I would offer that the directors also clearly felt Cedric was done just the way they wanted it to be done. 'Nuff said.
Whooooooo..... that explains a lot.

I'm curious, Josh, since KQ5 was one of the really early 'talkie' games and voices were being added after the game had been released without them... was there anything very different about the process than there would be for a game today? I imagine voice acting for a game that was not written with voices in mind would be somewhat different than voice acting for a game that was written with no question of the inclusion of voice acting...?

-emily

ps Off-topic - I am playing Callahan's Crosstime Saloon right now and really enjoying it. I rarely laugh out loud at game dialogue... it's even rarer for me to laugh out loud as often as I have been with this one.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:38 PM   #39
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho

--Josh
What wonderful inside information from the source! I always felt Cedric's voice was so wrong!
Old 02-17-2005, 02:06 PM   #40

Have you tried playing KQ5 with DosBox on Windows 2000? I recently played through KQ6 with DosBox and it plays perfectly.

KQ6 is one of my all time favourites and I thought the voice acting was great. I have to go back and play KQ5 again. I'm not sure if I've ever played with voices or not though. The voice acting in SQ4 isn't particularily good (except for the narrator) and I don't mind that.