You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games requiring dexterity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 04:09 AM   #1

Default Adventure games requiring dexterity

I've never used a forum of any kind before so forgive my ignorance. I just wondered if anyone else was as irritated as I was to find that BS3 is spoiled by the inclusion of the requirement for 'shoot em up' keyboard dexterity. I buy games like the Myst triology and BS specifically because the challenge is cerebral rather than a test of keyboard skills. I'm not sure I'm gonna live long enough to develop the speed required to get Petra and Geoge back into the lift.

Last edited by trotsky; 09-09-2004 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:13 AM   #2
Movie Buff & Gamer

Send a message via AIM to Sanjuro2

Hmmm... I understand your frustration. Not because I agree, but simply because I realize that most people feel that adventure games don't need stuff like this. For me personally, it's not a big deal. I grew up on both action games and adventure games, so I'm prepared for whatever...
Old 09-09-2004, 04:24 AM   #3
merely human

It's not a problem for me, as I also play titles from other genres requiring a lot of that skill - first person shooters, action/adventures, survival horror, etc. It would become a problem if those action elements were not designed well for anyone. Broken Sword 3 actually suffered from this problem - poor camera handling, weak stealth sequences, and unfairly vague quick decision making.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-09-2004, 04:30 AM   #4
23 Railway Cuttings

And that particular sequence in BS3 is even further annoying, because once you die (and you will, many times!) you have to go right back to the section before and sit through the cutscene with no way of fast forwarding through it - what were the developers thinking !?!?!?
Old 09-09-2004, 04:31 AM   #5
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Yeah, it´s a really irritating "puzzle", the running away from the bad guys, when you have to control george, and the keys are "opposite"..And the damn camera! But, nevertheless, great game..
Old 09-09-2004, 04:33 AM   #6
23 Railway Cuttings

Oh, and forgetting my manners, welcome to the forum Trotsky!
Old 09-09-2004, 12:03 PM   #7
Escaped Monkey Island

I was blinded by rage at various points in BS3......stupid stealth parts in a stinkin AG
Old 09-10-2004, 11:56 AM   #8

Default Thanks

Nice to know I'm not the only one.
Junior member? - Im old enough to remember playing Zorgons Revenge with my daughter on an Atmos 48k when that much memory was the cutting edge of technology. (I know what it means really).
Old 09-10-2004, 12:39 PM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It's not a problem for me, as I also play titles from other genres requiring a lot of that skill - first person shooters, action/adventures, survival horror, etc. It would become a problem if those action elements were not designed well for anyone. Broken Sword 3 actually suffered from this problem - poor camera handling, weak stealth sequences, and unfairly vague quick decision making.
I think it would be fair to say that adventure games are not normally designed in such a way that sufficient design time is dedicated to making rewarding, well-crafted action sections. I personally have no problem with action sequences, but I DO have a problem with badly designed ones - in much the same way as I won't play an FPS with bad game design or an RPG with bad game design.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:45 PM   #10
merely human

And it also hinges on the gamers themselves. If a hardcore traditional adventure gamer found herself in a situation demanding a bit of dexterity and action she might just get disgusted that there is an action bit at all, even though the interface is beautifully designed and efficient and more sympathetic for less hardcore action gamers (like it was in Beyond Good & Evil).

But someone like you or me, who come across that same situation, would find it too easy and redundant.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-10-2004, 12:51 PM   #11
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
If a hardcore traditional adventure gamer found herself in a situation demanding a bit of dexterity and action she might just get disgusted that there is an action bit at all, even though the interface is beautifully designed and efficient and more sympathetic for less hardcore action gamers (like it was in Beyond Good & Evil).
Hmm. I actually found/am finding some of the sections in Beyond Good & Evil over-reliant on luck, and certainly, in some places, needless difficult. However, I like the overall point - it is very well designed.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-10-2004, 12:56 PM   #12
merely human

Some of the stealth parts were very tricky, yes, but the sympathy comes when it restarts you if you get caught. The final boss fight was almost supremely impossible, but again the game chopped it up into replayable segments.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:08 PM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
If a hardcore traditional adventure gamer found herself in a situation demanding a bit of dexterity and action she might just get disgusted that there is an action bit at all...
Nice to know that some of the points I make get absorbed.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:04 AM   #14
pain is love

I always hated that "action" sequences in LA's games (like the motorcycle one in FT). I always thought there was no need for them in the game. And they were the most frustrating elements in it. Cause, they weren't really good anyways. And I'm not an adventure-only-gamer. I play quite a bit of action games. So, if the action sequences were good, they wouldn't be a problem to me. It's the bad ones that frustrate me...

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 09-11-2004, 08:49 AM   #15
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
I always hated that "action" sequences in LA's games (like the motorcycle one in FT). I always thought there was no need for them in the game. And they were the most frustrating elements in it. Cause, they weren't really good anyways. And I'm not an adventure-only-gamer. I play quite a bit of action games. So, if the action sequences were good, they wouldn't be a problem to me. It's the bad ones that frustrate me...
Except that the 'action' sequences were really puzzles anyway, because you had to figure out what to do in order to defeat the cavefish to get the goggles.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotsky
Nice to know I'm not the only one.
Junior member? - Im old enough to remember playing Zorgons Revenge with my daughter on an Atmos 48k when that much memory was the cutting edge of technology. (I know what it means really).
Welcome to the forum! You can change that thing under your name to say whatever you want it to say in your profile.

emily
Old 09-11-2004, 10:27 AM   #17
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Welcome to the forum! You can change that thing under your name to say whatever you want it to say in your profile.

emily
Allrighty then!

--Erwin
Old 09-12-2004, 01:21 AM   #18

Now you are going to laugh at me but hey....
My dearest mother is a true adventurer through and through. Being somewhat of the.... older persuasion, her (and I quote) "fingers aren't fast enough anymore". So she happily plays the game until one of those 'act quick' scenes pop up, then she calls me to come and play it for her.
Which sometimes is irritating because she's usually ahead of me in the game and I get to see what's going to happen which can be a bit of a spoiler.
Oh well, I love her, and she is the one buying the games so...........
Old 09-12-2004, 04:10 AM   #19
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Except that the 'action' sequences were really puzzles anyway, because you had to figure out what to do in order to defeat the cavefish to get the goggles.
Yes, you could say that, but it was frustrating anyway. And it required dexterity! So I think it fits the theme of the thread.

by_100ja
Old 09-12-2004, 04:12 AM   #20
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Now you are going to laugh at me but hey....
My dearest mother is a true adventurer through and through. Being somewhat of the.... older persuasion, her (and I quote) "fingers aren't fast enough anymore". So she happily plays the game until one of those 'act quick' scenes pop up, then she calls me to come and play it for her.
Which sometimes is irritating because she's usually ahead of me in the game and I get to see what's going to happen which can be a bit of a spoiler.
Oh well, I love her, and she is the one buying the games so...........
Your mom is so COOooooooOOL! My pops only plays FPS's!

by_100ja