You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I just bought Broken Sword 3 for the Xbox

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
I needed a dare

Default I just bought Broken Sword 3 for the Xbox

I wanted to buy it for the PC but the xbox version was about 10 dollars cheaper. My question(s) is, is there a big difference between the xbox and pc version? And I loved teh first BS, but I hated the second one. Will I enjoy this one? BTW before anybody says anything, I know about the crate puzzles.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #2

The big thing is that the load times for the xbox version are terrible.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 09-06-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
guybrush_guy

i heard, you looking at loading times between 5-8 minuts, not sure ware i heard that thoe, i could be mistaken

Old 09-06-2004, 06:36 PM   #4
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
i heard, you looking at loading times between 5-8 minuts, not sure ware i heard that thoe, i could be mistaken
I don't have the Xbox version, so I can't be sure, but that seems kind of absurd. Halo's levels are enormous, about a hojillion times bigger than BS3's, and as far as I remember the loading time for an entire Halo level (each of which takes several hours to complete) is about 30 seconds. So again, I don't know, but your estimate sounds unlikely.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-06-2004, 06:43 PM   #5
guybrush_guy

i think so aswell.
with halo the entire map is'nt compleated on one load, it loads more of the level when you have an "auto save" or check point.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:47 PM   #6
How am I not myself?

The game was originally designed with consoles in mind. The entire control system was intented to be used with a controller not a keyboard and mouse. I can't imagine that the loading times would be excessively huge.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:28 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
i think so aswell.
with halo the entire map is'nt compleated on one load, it loads more of the level when you have an "auto save" or check point.
I don't think it actually loads more of the level. There's just that second pause, but I think that's just the quick save. Don't quote me on that, but I think the entire level is loaded during that huge loading screen.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-06-2004, 07:39 PM   #8
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I don't think it actually loads more of the level. There's just that second pause, but I think that's just the quick save. Don't quote me on that, but I think the entire level is loaded during that huge loading screen.
Well, with some of the levels, it may be faster because it only has to load one room and then copy it multiple times.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:45 PM   #9

Ain't that the truth...

Old 09-06-2004, 11:18 PM   #10

Wow, here in the US BS3 on PC can be found for 20 dollars while the XBOX version is 30 to 40 dollars consistantly.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:27 AM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
Wow, here in the US BS3 on PC can be found for 20 dollars while the XBOX version is 30 to 40 dollars consistantly.
Aha! Wasn't someone recently asking for an example of a game costing less in Europe than the US?

emily

EDIT: Oh, except the original poster is from New Jersey. Oh well, there goes that theory.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:05 AM   #12
I needed a dare

i got the game used for 9 bucks.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:49 AM   #13
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
i think it was 30 seconds to a minute at the most...if you're looking at 5-8 minute load times between areas i'd say you're looking at a broken xbox
Old 09-07-2004, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Aha! Wasn't someone recently asking for an example of a game costing less in Europe than the US?

emily

EDIT: Oh, except the original poster is from New Jersey. Oh well, there goes that theory.
And us here in California are usually subject to higher prices than othe US states.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:30 PM   #15
merely human

Higher sales taxes, Captain?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-07-2004, 02:42 PM   #16
guybrush_guy

lets see,

new jersey has 6%
and Maryland has 5%
Pennsylvania has city and state tax, thats about 8%
I'm sure California has high state tax as well.

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is my 1,000 post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2004, 02:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Higher sales taxes, Captain?
Not just that but the dollar isnt as valuable in CA. Price of living in California is higher than any state in the US. Its a shame but I wont live anywhere else. I am an active person and I need the beach and the mountains a half hour away from me.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:52 PM   #18

California indeed has a crazy high cost of living. And 8.64% sales tax, g_g.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:00 PM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
And us here in California are usually subject to higher prices than othe US states.
This is true for sales tax but I don't think it's true for the price of a game. I mean, if a game costs $20 at EB in San Francisco, doesn't it also cost $20 at EB in New Jersey?

But I agree about the dollar not going as far. My last year in college (1999) I paid $1000 for a 4-bedroom apartment in Providence. I swore to myself I would NEVER pay more than that for an apartment. 3 months out of college I signed my lease on my first place in SF - $1200 for a studio. :eek: Housing prices have gotten better in the past few years, but other cost of living stuff has stayed the same...

-emily

ps Cap'n Blondebeard, where in Cali are you?
ps2 To get back on topic - good buy on the used game, Coop! I hardly ever buy new anymore unless I'm getting a REALLY good deal (like Missing for $10 the other day at Circuit City). But I am usually buying older games, too. I am willing to spend a little more for new ones just so I can play them while they're still relatively new...
Old 09-07-2004, 09:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
This is true for sales tax but I don't think it's true for the price of a game. I mean, if a game costs $20 at EB in San Francisco, doesn't it also cost $20 at EB in New Jersey?

But I agree about the dollar not going as far. My last year in college (1999) I paid $1000 for a 4-bedroom apartment in Providence. I swore to myself I would NEVER pay more than that for an apartment. 3 months out of college I signed my lease on my first place in SF - $1200 for a studio. :eek: Housing prices have gotten better in the past few years, but other cost of living stuff has stayed the same...

-emily

ps Cap'n Blondebeard, where in Cali are you?
ps2 To get back on topic - good buy on the used game, Coop! I hardly ever buy new anymore unless I'm getting a REALLY good deal (like Missing for $10 the other day at Circuit City). But I am usually buying older games, too. I am willing to spend a little more for new ones just so I can play them while they're still relatively new...
I live in Orange County.

PS.. speaking of a gem I got an unopened copy of Last Express in an EB bargain bin friday for 5 bucks.

Last edited by Captain Blondebeard; 09-07-2004 at 09:17 PM.