You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 1st adventure game you played

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 AM   #381

Earliest game I can remember playing is either Police Quest 3 or the VGA remake of King's Quest 1.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 09-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #382
Scavenger Adventurer

Default Rots

Riddle of the sphinx. I loved that game.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #383

Quest for Glory III
Old 09-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #384

King's Quest on my trusty Comodore 64 *sigh* good times!!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 AM   #385

Scott Adams' "Pirate Adventure" on the good old Texas Instruments 99/4. Ah, happy days...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #386

"You're bitten by chiggers."

Scott Adams' Adventureland played on our Commodore VIC-20!!!

(Me, sis and Mum didn't know what we were doing and never got pass the swamp.)
Old 09-06-2008, 02:11 AM   #387

Jewels of darkness on my Dad's Atari ST I think..... led to all the rest.

Daventry

"The Spirit of Adventure will never die!"
Old 09-06-2008, 03:37 AM   #388

My first ever was Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars. When the ps1 was hot, there was like a game you could get with 3 games in one...broken sword, myst and some racing game. I loved broken sword!
Last Watched - Jackass the movie.
Want to Watch - Bruno.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #389

indiana jones and the last cruzade was my first adventure game

good times...
Old 09-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #390

Mine was Nibiru and never looked back since. Point-and-click is so much easier
Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #391

Default Star Trek (text version) -- on a mainframe console

This digs back quite a few years and had to think back along the timeline of every type of computer I'd ever used . . . so I'll list a few classics along a timeline . . . which will undoubtedly date me as an Old-Timer.

Don't know if the "original" text version of Star Trek on a mainframe remote console counts, but it is the first computer game I ever played . . . dating to about 1972 or 1973 when I was an undergrad at Arizona State U. . . on a UNIVAC 1100 series or a GE 400 series (before GE sold off its mainframe business to Honeywell). ASU had both and don't remember which one ran Star Trek. Had to be very careful about computer time-share usage! That was a very precious commodity and was closely budgeted. I've no doubt quite a few time-share minutes got burned up with students playing it . . . to the consternation of the folks operating the university mainframe resources. If you're not familiar with the original Star Trek and its pure ASCII text graphics, see this Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(text_game)

The next one was a couple attempts at "Adventure" (aka Colossal Cave Adventure) when it was ported to a Tandy Color Computer (in BASIC ??); some time around 1984 even though it dates back to the late 1970s. Never did finish it. The pure text dialog was too arduous for me. About 1987-1988 I also had Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards . . . running on a PC-AT clone with CGA graphics. Hilarious and fun a few time through . . . but got "stale" after a while.

Other than Star Trek being captivating as every new game was different . . . the next one that actually kept me returning was The 7th Guest in the early 1990's, and ultimately its (not quite as good) sequel, The 11th Hour. 7th Guest was ground-breaking in a number of ways . . . CD-ROM, 3-D graphics, 1st-person POV, live action video clips, extensive high-quality musical background, and the taunting voice of Stauf at every turn. That was quickly followed by MYST, another ground-breaker for many of the same reasons along with several possible endings. The original seems crude by today's graphics standards . . . but if you liked it and its concept at all, find RealMyst (by Mattel Interactive) and put it on a modern WinXP platform. I have the entire Myst series . . . loaded on a WinXP x64 machine . . . RealMyst replacing the original DOS Myst.

Note:
Getting Riven installed on an /x64 platform was a trick. Its installer is 16-bit which WinXP x64 cannot run. The game is 32-bit and will run if it can be installed. Installed it first on a WinXP x86 machine (which will run 16-bit apps) and copied the entire install directory over to the x64 platform as it doesn't need any registry entries to run. Don't ask me about getting any of this stuff running on Vista . . . that's yet another, bigger challenge . . . and that along with other reasons is why I have avoided Vista!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #392
Confused

I think the first adventure I ever played was Day of the Tentacle. I loved it so much. I got it on my eight birthday, the talkie version. I actually have a vague recollection of going up to buy it X3 Best birthday money I've ever spent! :3
Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #393

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Hmmm, first adventure game ever? I don't think there WERE any adventure games as such on the Sinclair Spectrum *feels old*. So I'd have to say the first adventure game I remember playing was the original Space Quest 1.

I loved it. The humour was spot on and the story was pretty good too (compared to other games I'd been playing like "Castle Master" et al). A great introduction to adventuring.

P.S. Hello all! *1st post newbie"
Old 09-10-2008, 02:04 AM   #394

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandrosrds View Post
indiana jones and the last cruzade was my first adventure game

good times...
I LOVED that game. For me the graphics are pretty spot on (even by todays standards), it was SO funny with jokes that spread to other games "I'm selling these fine leather jackets" and it even had fight scenes to break up the adventuring.

A fantastic translation of a film if ever I saw one. I could never complete it though as I could never pick the correct grail at the end.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #395
Freeware Co-ordinator

Welcome to the forums Gledster. I hope you enjoy yourself here.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Welcome to the forums Gledster. I hope you enjoy yourself here.
I know we're going off topic so I'll keep this brief, thank you.

Actually, now that I think about it, the Hitchhikers Guide Text game was the first adventure I played...I ...er. got bored of it rather quickly.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:03 AM   #397

Remember when adventure games had great cover art? I went into a second hand game shop when I was maybe 10 and my brother and I bought a game I'd never heard of solely on the basis of the title and the front cover. It was Monkey Island 2. I loved the game deeply and maintain it's the best of the series; I've never been a big gamer really but I had played Nintendo games and things like that which offered a sort of immediate excitement, but no games stirred the imagination the way adventure games did. I had already played Myst, which I liked a lot, but it was the third-person adventure games that I fell in love with.

Last edited by CharteredStreets; 09-14-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #398

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

I don't remember if it was Amazonia (1986), a Brazilian text adventure for TK-85 (a Brazilian ZX-81 clone), or "Classic Adventure" (1986) text adventure for MSX1 computer.

MSX' Amazonia:

MSX' Classic Adventure
Old 09-14-2008, 06:47 AM   #399

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharteredStreets View Post
Remember when adventure games had great cover art?
Adventure game packaging is very important! I love adventure games' box, but hate when it only includes instalation CDs and nothing more. 8(
Old 09-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #400

Jalind, you might want to buy the Myst 10th Anniversary DVD collection (the first 3 Myst games), which work on XP (and I think, Vista) because they're configured better for newer OS's. Just a thought... (I think you can find the whole set pretty cheap now.)

My first text adventure -- on the "almost IBM-compatible" Tandy 2000 back in the late '80s ... can't remember the name. Can someone help me?

My main memory is that early in the game (first scene, perhaps) you're in a living room (apartment?) rifling through things and there is a computer on a table or desk. And you type to turn it on and see stuff on it, etc..... I don't remember much else, but I remember finding it fascinating that my monochrome, text-only computer could do this sort of thing.

First graphic adventure was probably Hugo's House of Horrors, with my young boys at the time (I was thirty -- they were about 5-7 yrs old). Although I have distinct memories of having nightmares in '92 because I'd made the mistake of watching my 6-yr-old son playing Wolfenstein in 3D, which scared me to death because of the first-person aspect.

What IS the name of that text adventure???