You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Vote on the next wave of Hype!

View Poll Results: Which of these adventures are you excited about?
Dreamfall 117 62.90%
Fahrenheit 94 50.54%
Myst 4 60 32.26%
Still Life 68 36.56%
The Moment of Silence 55 29.57%
A Vampyre Story 98 52.69%
Beneath a Steel Sky 2 93 50.00%
Booby Trap 21 11.29%
Atlantis Evolution 24 12.90%
The Westerner 32 17.20%
Runaway 2 58 31.18%
Lost Paradise 33 17.74%
Dark Fall: Lights Out 32 17.20%
Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor 7 3.76%
Law & Order: Justice is Served 12 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 03:57 AM   #61
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

I go for Still Life, Fahrenheit, BASS 2 and Dark Fall:Lights out (just to support an outsider).

Dreamfall seams like it's gonna be fine but I am not overexcited about it..
Also I think the poll is seriously missing Psychonauts. I know it's not a "pure" adventure game but since playing Beyond Good abd Evil I couldn't care less about that! This game seems like it's gonna be awesome, really.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 08-16-2004, 04:07 AM   #62
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

BASS2, Vampryre Story and the westerners.

Last edited by Krazy; 08-16-2004 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:32 AM   #63
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
I'm open. Seems to me that you are the one who said all of my opinions were wrong. What, exactly did you wish to discuss?
Again, I neither said nor implied anything of the sort. I was asking for some sort of basis for claiming the games looked uninteresting to you, particularly since you made such a point of being SO disinterested that you'd prefer to register it with a vote. I don't expect everyone to care about the upcoming games (nor would I wish to convince them), but I DO find it surprising that anyone claiming to be an adventure fan can't find something on the list that looks appealing.

I thought maybe you'd answer that the plots looked too clichéd, the graphics were crappy, the characters were rehashes of better characters from yesteryear, or some such thing. Instead, you've chosen to say nothing about the games themselves, in favour of an answer that amounts to "just cuz."
Old 08-16-2004, 06:46 AM   #64

Send a message via AIM to edlglide

Hey, I didn't find anything on this list that excites me either. They may even be well-executed games, and turn out phenomenal -- but from what I've seen, they just don't have me looking forward to their release. And honestly, I haven't looked forward to the release of an adventure game in years...........with the exception of the new Sam & Max game, which of course was cancelled. I don't see why it seems to offend some of you that certain people don't feel that any of these upcoming games are going to spectacular. Yes, there are games I'm looking forward to..........games like The Movies by Lionhead. There just aren't any ADVENTURE games I'm looking forward to. To me it sort of looks like some of you are excited about one or two of these games just because you think you need to be excited about an adventure game release, rather than because you think the game is going to be top-notch.

(But no, I'm not insinuating that ALL of you are that way..........just perhaps a few of you.)
Old 08-16-2004, 06:49 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
Well, that's a new one. May I ask what does excite you?
Plenty of things excite me -- just none of these games apply, because none of them look especially great. So no need to use a rolling your eyes smiley thing.

And by the way, I really liked your top 20 countdown. Especially King's Quest 6 at #3..........such an overlooked game. I certiainly didn't agree with all of it, but overall I thought it was a nice list.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:08 AM   #66
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlglide
Hey, I didn't find anything on this list that excites me either. They may even be well-executed games, and turn out phenomenal -- but from what I've seen, they just don't have me looking forward to their release. And honestly, I haven't looked forward to the release of an adventure game in years...........with the exception of the new Sam & Max game, which of course was cancelled. I don't see why it seems to offend some of you that certain people don't feel that any of these upcoming games are going to spectacular. Yes, there are games I'm looking forward to..........games like The Movies by Lionhead. There just aren't any ADVENTURE games I'm looking forward to. To me it sort of looks like some of you are excited about one or two of these games just because you think you need to be excited about an adventure game release, rather than because you think the game is going to be top-notch.

(But no, I'm not insinuating that ALL of you are that way..........just perhaps a few of you.)
I doubt anyone is even slightly offended. We're just trying to understand it. "They just don't" doesn't help clear that up any more than "just cuz." You're not alone; there are billions of people who aren't excited by these games either. But they don't hang out at a site devoted to the genre.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:16 AM   #67

Yeah -- but I love adventure games. I just haven't found anything recent to compare to older games, and I don't really see these doing it either. I just hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #68
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlglide
I don't see why it seems to offend some of you that certain people don't feel that any of these upcoming games are going to spectacular.
Well, I think people will always be a little offended or agitated when others are negative about a game they like.

I mean, I'm sure you feel a little agitated too when I'd say, for example, that the Movies is going to be the worst game ever I think we all take it too personal when others have a different opinion. Maybe because deep inside, it feels like other people are frowning upon our tastes/opinions.

In other news, I think I must stop watching Dr. Phil immediately!

--Erwin
Old 08-16-2004, 10:10 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Well, I think people will always be a little offended or agitated when others are negative about a game they like.

I mean, I'm sure you feel a little agitated too when I'd say, for example, that the Movies is going to be the worst game ever I think we all take it too personal when others have a different opinion. Maybe because deep inside, it feels like other people are frowning upon our tastes/opinions.

In other news, I think I must stop watching Dr. Phil immediately!

--Erwin
*laugh* Maybe so.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:43 PM   #70
Master of Time and Space

You've got to stop living in the past. You know, it's like those guys complaining that the new Porche sports cars don't have round lights, like the old ones, ignoring their actual performance.
I believe that current and future adventure games are superior to the ones made in the last decades in all areas: graphics, most obvious one (3D games, and also beautiful 2D games - look at the pictures of Still Life), sound (from MIDI to 5.1 Dolby Surround + high quality voices), even gameplay (the new graphic & physics engines and improved sound allow more diverse puzzles) and story. Yes, you heard me. Gaming has passed the romantic period and is heading for the reallistic one, the fantasy is fresh (no more "hero") and even immersive surreal games. It's no more cliches. Creativity is blossoming and I see great diversity in themes (classic, realistical, fantasy, horror, crime, western).
And what I said also goes for the ones saying that the adventure genre is boring. Personally, I wouldn't play 20 year old games, not even for money.

Of course, not all games will be good, but I'm excited about a lot of games from that list, especially Fahrenheit, Still Life and Lost Paradise.

Now I understand those who loathe new games, they can't look forward because of the acute nostalgia. It's common in lots of areas, not just gaming. But I hope that if I can accept that old adventure games set high standards, they can accept that some of the games of today are equally valuable and that future games may set the new standards in adventure gaming.

Time will tell.
Playing: Omikron: The Nomad Soul Next: Sanitarium Replaying: QFG IV: Shadows of Darkness, Grim Fandango, Syberia Waiting for: Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, American McGee's OZ, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Fahrenheit, Anachronox 2 (if they ever make it)
Old 08-16-2004, 02:19 PM   #71
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtooney
I'm open. Seems to me that you are the one who said all of my opinions were wrong. What, exactly did you wish to discuss?
Again, I neither said nor implied anything of the sort. I was asking for some sort of basis for claiming the games looked uninteresting to you, particularly since you made such a point of being SO disinterested that you'd prefer to register it with a vote. I don't expect everyone to care about the upcoming games (nor would I wish to convince them), but I DO find it surprising that anyone claiming to be an adventure fan can't find something on the list that looks appealing.

I thought maybe you'd answer that the plots looked too clichéd, the graphics were crappy, the characters were rehashes of better characters from yesteryear, or some such thing. Instead, you've chosen to say nothing about the games themselves, in favour of an answer that amounts to "just cuz."

Jackal, I wouldn't waste my time. It's obvious he's point blank not interested, even to the point of not giving a damn about reading any information on any of the games listed perhance to even find out why they don't interest him. For all we know, we could make an exception and stick the text based Zork in the poll and he'd drool all over his monitor.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #72
Codger

Games I will look forward to are games that actually arrive on the shelf, and despite prior hype, are deemed by the majority to be worth playing. (Clue: I don't have access to betas or pre-gold games.)

Only games that really interest me are those that will play on my system, and receive good reviews from those I respect.

Heaven only knows that there have been enough games that arrived on the shelf, and despite prior hype, were ruled unworthy of the genre.

Why should I have to make that decision in advance? It's exactly the argument you make. Nobody has seen them.

Tim
Old 08-16-2004, 04:25 PM   #73
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
[IMG]Jackal, I wouldn't waste my time. It's obvious he's point blank not interested, even to the point of not giving a damn about reading any information on any of the games listed perhance to even find out why they don't interest him. For all we know, we could make an exception and stick the text based Zork in the poll and he'd drool all over his monitor.
I find this offensive. You won't mind if I forard this to Laura. She is the one who told me this was the best place to be for developers and financers. She was wrong.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:36 PM   #74
merely human

Fine. Be grumpy about it. Your lack of any sense of humour doesn't make your stance with me any pleasant. Uptightness and an absence of curiosity isn't exactly flattering for anyone, is it? Oh, don't answer that. It's a waste of your time, I'm sure.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-16-2004, 04:46 PM   #75
Codger

Quote:
Fine. Be grumpy about it. Your lack of any sense of humour doesn't make your stance with me any pleasant. Uptightness and an absence of curiosity isn't exactly flattering for anyone, is it? Oh, don't answer that. It's a waste of your time, I'm sure.
You are correct.

The total lack of humor and compassion shown by this forum's management make my participation a waste of your time and mine.

Bye
Old 08-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #76
merely human

Good riddance.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:03 PM   #77
Fienepien

Quote:
Good riddance.
Shame on you for all the things you said to him. You are a mod.

PS: I'm sorry I tried to patch up things and made an attempt to be friends. I can now see you for what you are.

Last edited by Fienepien; 08-16-2004 at 05:20 PM.

Old 08-16-2004, 05:15 PM   #78
merely human

I publically apologize, then.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:21 PM   #79
Hopeful skeptic

OK, tempers flare, words are said, looks are exchanged... time to walk it off.

Rtrooney, I totally understand not being swept up by pre-release enthusiasm, and you obviously don't have to decide anything in advance. I tend to avoid most hype myself, as very few games ever live up to their promise. But the poll is just a chance for those who ARE excited to help shape the Hype-o-Meter. It's certainly not obligatory to participate. I simply wondered if there was something about this particular group of games that were SO unappealing that they merited a negative vote, rather than just a non-vote.

Carry on, people. (With the voting, not the fighting, I mean )
Old 08-16-2004, 10:56 PM   #80
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
Shame on you for all the things you said to him. You are a mod.
This sounds awesome, although I understand perfectly well that the last part was not meant as an insult, I wil use "You are a mod" as an insult from now on.

Ad people will not even realise it.