You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Vote on the next wave of Hype!

View Poll Results: Which of these adventures are you excited about?
Dreamfall 117 62.90%
Fahrenheit 94 50.54%
Myst 4 60 32.26%
Still Life 68 36.56%
The Moment of Silence 55 29.57%
A Vampyre Story 98 52.69%
Beneath a Steel Sky 2 93 50.00%
Booby Trap 21 11.29%
Atlantis Evolution 24 12.90%
The Westerner 32 17.20%
Runaway 2 58 31.18%
Lost Paradise 33 17.74%
Dark Fall: Lights Out 32 17.20%
Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor 7 3.76%
Law & Order: Justice is Served 12 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 03:24 PM   #41
Fienepien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It's a game of a story about a cat and mouse, but you are playing both cat and mouse.
In The Dark Eye (1995) you play both the killer and the victim.

Quote:
Why does every adventure game always have to be about collecting inventory items and putting things together? Why does it always have to be A-to-B-C?
It isn't. Play Blue Ice, Bad Day on the Midway, Alice: An Interactive Museum, Gadget, Freak Show, Cosmology of Kyoto, Eastern Mind, Isabelle, Mode, Shadow of Destiny, and others.

Okay, I'll leave you alone now. I guess I've made my point, and it won't make the slightest difference.

Old 08-15-2004, 03:54 PM   #42
Hopeful skeptic

To you None of the Abovers, given the wonderful diversity of styles on the list (and it's been a long time since we could say THAT), I guess the question is... what would excite you? There's old school and progressive; there's dark and funny; there's 2D and 3D; there's p 'n c and direct control; there's puzzle-centered and story-centered, etc. (We could only DREAM of having so much variety in politics). What's missing? Text?
Old 08-15-2004, 04:10 PM   #43
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
To you None of the Abovers, given the wonderful diversity of styles on the list (and it's been a long time since we could say THAT), I guess the question is... what would excite you? There's old school and progressive; there's dark and funny; there's 2D and 3D; there's p 'n c and direct control; there's puzzle-centered and story-centered, etc. (We could only DREAM of having so much variety in politics). What's missing? Text?
How about interesting?
Old 08-15-2004, 04:21 PM   #44
Hopeful skeptic

That was a semantic waste of time. What's "interesting"? There's an equally diverse range of themes - murder mystery and comic western; occult thriller and classic fantasy. Again, I'll ask - what's missing?
Old 08-15-2004, 04:25 PM   #45
Codger

I live for semantics. I was an English Literature major. And I repeat, I don't care what the theme is, if it isn't interesting, I won't buy it.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:32 PM   #46
Codger

Quote:
There's an equally diverse range of themes - murder mystery and comic western; occult thriller and classic fantasy. Again, I'll ask - what's missing?
How about a dull murder mystery, e.g, the original Frogworks Sherlock? How about a dull comic western, e.g., Dust? How about a dull occult thriller, e.g., Phantasmagoria, et al?

What's missing? You tell me. They all had one thing in common. They were not interesting. And most of the games offered for votes seem equally so.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:33 PM   #47
Hopeful skeptic

OK, well, that says far more about you than the games, so your vote would really tell us nothing.

EDIT: Having just now seen your last post, I'm going to drop it. I would argue that those previous games were dull by virtue of their execution. Until the new games are experienced, I personally don't expect them to disappoint.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:37 PM   #48
Codger

Quote:
OK, well, that says far more about you than the games, so your vote would really tell us nothing.
And your concept that all things new are good tells me much about your thought process as well.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:40 PM   #49
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
And your concept that all things new are good tells me much about your thought process as well.
When did I say or even imply that? I voted for some games and not others. As for my thought processes, I'm more than willing to discuss them openly, which is what I was actually hoping (wrongly) to accomplish here.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #50
Codger

Quote:
When did I say or even imply that? I voted for some games and not others. As for my thought processes, I'm more than willing to discuss them openly, which is what I was actually hoping (wrongly) to accomplish here.
I'm open. Seems to me that you are the one who said all of my opinions were wrong. What, exactly did you wish to discuss?
Old 08-15-2004, 11:31 PM   #51

Quote:
What's missing? You tell me. They all had one thing in common. They were not interesting. And most of the games offered for votes seem equally so.
How so? Thinking a game (well, 15 games) will be dull when all you know about them is who is making them, how they will look or what their interface and perhaps their story will be is being over-pessimistic, isn't it? I feel sorry for you if you don't have any games to look forward to.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:49 PM   #52
merely human

rtooney, just what precisely is your beef? You clearly have not played any of those games on the list because of the fact that those game have not yet been released! Neither has anyone else here. All we have to work with is what we already know of them short of actually playing them. So just say it, you're not interested in any of those games? Fine. The poll upsets you because there's no option for you to check? Fine, go make your own poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
I guess I've made my point, and it won't make the slightest difference.
What a waste of time, eh?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-15-2004, 11:57 PM   #53
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Where is Facade! I want to vote for Facade!

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 08-16-2004, 12:06 AM   #54
merely human

Dammit! There's no Facade on the list!!!

Stinger, fix this!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-16-2004, 12:13 AM   #55
Doctor Watson

Quote:
I live for semantics. I was an English Literature major.
I know someone who'd probably want to be your friend.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:29 AM   #56
merely human

LOL!!! Wormsie, stop that!
Old 08-16-2004, 02:26 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
Basically, in the middle of the game there's a lengthy part where you have to ride a hover-car, avoiding rocks and such, in a very arcade-ish manner. Doesn't make Space Quest any less of an adventure. Same goes for Fahrenheit.

More examples: Gabriel Knight 3 (Gabriel The Vampire Slayer? That was a badly executed action sequence too, but it's still an adventure game), Police Quest (car-simulation? No), Escape From Monkey Island (Mortal Kombat clone? No), Broken Sword 2 (Espionage game? No, you had to infiltrate a boat. That is all. It's an adventure game.)

The adventure genre is full of, mostly failed, attempts at intigrating a little bit of action into the mix. But they're still definately adventure games.

Story? Check. Puzzles? Check. Character Development? Check. Interface that's built for exploration instead of combat/platform jumping? Check. What exactly does define an adventure for you?
Come on! Since when did only adventure games have a story?!? As far as I know, mostly all games have a story. Some better than the others, but that doesn't make them adventure games. And when it comes to puzzles, as I said, I'd be happy to be proven wrong if the game largely consists of puzzles, with an action part here and there.
Character development? I've seen that in non-adventure games before.

Anyway, I'm not trying to prove that Fahrenheit isn't an adventure game. But as one, I see nothing that interests me. It takes more than a fancy storyline and nice cut-scenes to do that.
Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how it does. I will be more than happy to be wrong should the game end up as a good adventure game.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:50 AM   #58
Fienepien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
rtooney, just what precisely is your beef? You clearly have not played any of those games on the list because of the fact that those game have not yet been released! Neither has anyone else here. All we have to work with is what we already know of them short of actually playing them. So just say it, you're not interested in any of those games? Fine. The poll upsets you because there's no option for you to check? Fine, go make your own poll.
ROTFL!! How ironic.

Old 08-16-2004, 03:04 AM   #59
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordic_guy
Come on! Since when did only adventure games have a story?!? As far as I know, mostly all games have a story. Some better than the others, but that doesn't make them adventure games. And when it comes to puzzles, as I said, I'd be happy to be proven wrong if the game largely consists of puzzles, with an action part here and there.
Character development? I've seen that in non-adventure games before.

Anyway, I'm not trying to prove that Fahrenheit isn't an adventure game. But as one, I see nothing that interests me. It takes more than a fancy storyline and nice cut-scenes to do that.
Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how it does. I will be more than happy to be wrong should the game end up as a good adventure game.
Again, what does make it an adventure to you. There really is no doubt about it that this isn't just some glorified interactive movie. The game does consist largely of puzzle-solving. If you'd have just actually read something about the game you'd have known that before this thread was even started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3 Preview
There are a few lengthy action sequences, but they are completely isolated from the adventure portions, in much the same manner the action sequences in old Space Quest games were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
There really wasn't any action at all in the sequences that were demod for us at E3.
If, considering that it consists mainly of puzzle-solving, it still doesn't interest you, then I guess there's not much else to say.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:23 AM   #60

There's not much more to say that haven't already been said. You've made your point, and I've made mine.
As I said, it will be interesting to see how the game really plays out. But right now, I'm not interested in the game itself for all the reasons I've already mentioned.
I have yet to see any of the promised adventure bits. I have no doubts that they are there, but I just find it weird that Quantic Dream has decided to only showcase the action bits in the trailers and game footage they have released to us.