You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Games with Multiple Endings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 12:01 PM   #21

Maniac Mansion has several different endings.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:22 PM   #22
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Warrior Bob
The Secret of Monkey Island had a slight variationof endings. Depending on whether or not you made a goof with Herman's artistic sculpture.
I thought it was interesting that EMI assumed you made that goof. I guess that it was so funny that it was a fair assumption to say that pretty much everyone who played the game did it eventually.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:28 PM   #23

Kyrandia Book III: Malcom's Revenge had three endings if I remember correctly.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #24

The silent hill games (yes they're not really adventures but they had adventure ellement).
Old 08-10-2004, 11:57 PM   #25

Hm, I guess the newest one is JttCotE then. And quite a nice way to present the two endings: One place where you could either stop (movie sequence to follow) or continue to play, depending on which target you focus on.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:17 AM   #26
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
The silent hill games
That was one of the things I didn't like about Silent Hill 2. Each ending had a different way of explaining exactly what had happened to James during the course of the game. Some of them made more sense than others. And all of them raised as many questions as they answered.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:35 AM   #27
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Bad mojo had 4 differend endings.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #28
Lurking Myst Missionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerz
Myst (2 and 3 as well?)
Yup, and supposedly 4 does too.

~Eleri
Old 08-17-2004, 06:47 PM   #29
adventure game groupie

I think that multiple endings are good for the most part because it is realistic that way, although I have to say I don't know if there are many games I would want to play over and over again for different endings
Old 08-17-2004, 06:59 PM   #30
guybrush_guy

phantasmagoria had 2 diffrent ending..one was good and one was bad.
i also had no idea that myst series had diffrent endings.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #31

Gabriel Knight had multiple endings? How do you get them?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:05 PM   #32
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville
Gabriel Knight had multiple endings? How do you get them?
They're not exactly different endings, but a different final cutscene depending on what Gabe does with Malia in the last (playable) scene.

Spoiler:
If Gabe tries to push her into the chasm, she grabs him by the ankle and they both fall to their deaths. If he tries to help her, she winds up falling anyway, but she lets him live.

Normally I'd say a "you're dead" ending isn't really a separate ending, but in this case there was an entirely different cutscene than the "happy" ending cutscene. And since I got that ending first (and got it multiple times after that before figuring out how to get the real ending!), I saw it as an alternate ending.

Spoiler:
Grace and Mosley are sitting overlooking Jackson Square, just as in the happy ending, except in this case they're talking about how tragic it is that both Gabe and Malia were brought down by their families and a grudge that started between their ancestors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
That was one of the things I didn't like about Silent Hill 2. Each ending had a different way of explaining exactly what had happened to James during the course of the game. Some of them made more sense than others. And all of them raised as many questions as they answered.
Hmm... sounds a bit like Shadow of Destiny (not surprising since they're both Konami). But in SoD I felt like the inconsistancies were supported by the game (time travel creates paradoxes, etc.) Do the multiple endings in Silent Hill contradict each other, in a way that leaves you dissatisfied? Just curious.

-emily
Old 08-18-2004, 06:18 AM   #33
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

necronomicon has 2 endings not that i have seen either im trying to auctually complete now but its so boring.has anyone auctually completed this.

Marise-Chiko
Old 08-18-2004, 09:54 PM   #34
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Hmm... sounds a bit like Shadow of Destiny (not surprising since they're both Konami). But in SoD I felt like the inconsistancies were supported by the game (time travel creates paradoxes, etc.) Do the multiple endings in Silent Hill contradict each other, in a way that leaves you dissatisfied? Just curious.
Actually, the contradictions were slight, so I could deal with that. But SH2's strength is its story, and I would've preferred a more conclusive ending with definite answers to the game's many mysteries. The multiple endings left too much open to interpretation. And, they were absolutely pointless since, unlike Shadow of Destiny, they added no replay value to the game.

I had no problems with multiple endings in SoD, since your fate is decided by actions you take throughout the entire game. Your actions trigger different situations in the game, so it's not just the ending that's different.

In SH2 however, the ending is determined by only one or two seemingly insignificant actions, and you're never aware of any consequences until it's too late. For example:

Spoiler:
If you "look" more than once at the knife you took from Angela, the game assumes that you have suicidal tendencies, and James kills himself at the end.

To get a different ending, you'd have to play the game exactly as you did before and simply avoid doing what I mentioned above. I'm in no hurry to do that.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:19 PM   #35
fov
Rattenmonster

I'm not going to read your spoiler since I might play this game some day, but what you're describing sounds like my annoyance with Tender Loving Care. It supposedly has like five or six endings, but they're determined pretty much at random - not necessarily even based on the answers you give to the questions asked throughout the game. What's the point of replaying to see a new ending when you can't even guarantee you're going to see a new ending? Frustrating. As much as I like the replayability that multiple endings adds, sometimes I think developers overestimate how much we're going to want to go through to *find* the replayability...

-emily
Old 11-04-2004, 10:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Boots
Post Mortem has 3 or 4 endings. It's the newest game with multiple endings I can think of.
PM sure did. Good game.

Though, it's no SOD or TLJ.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Maniac Mansion has several different endings.
I got that for NES. That game ruled.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:38 PM   #38
Freeware Co-ordinator

Rise of the Dragon (it's mentioned in the Sierra's Buried Treasures thread) had multiple endings from an upbeat you saved the girl and defeated the villain ending to your giving up a letting the girl die and the villain get away.

Also Black Dahlia had more than one way the final scene could play out (though only one of them was acknowledged as "The End")

When we talk about multiple endings are we only considering the grand finale? As long as they're well-written and not set up to frustrate the player (sudden unexpected death syndrome ) I think failure endings can enhance the game experience. I get annoyed with characters telling me they can't/won't do something. Who's supposed to be in charge here anyway? It's nice when programmers allow you to do something you know is a bad idea and see the results. I still remember opening the hold door at the start of Prisoners of Ice knowing there was a deadly supernatural creature imprisoned within (why, yes it did come through the door and kill me immediately now you ask. )
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-04-2004, 02:39 PM   #39
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandcliklover
necronomicon has 2 endings not that i have seen either im trying to auctually complete now but its so boring.has anyone auctually completed this.

I've tried playing it a few different times, but it was so...bland, I guess. I always quit when I'm in the town-maze.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:49 AM   #40
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
I still remember opening the hold door at the start of Prisoners of Ice knowing there was a deadly supernatural creature imprisoned within (why, yes it did come through the door and kill me immediately now you ask. )
Just remembered. Prisoners of Ice has two different endings. Not influenced by gameplay at all. You choose which final cutscene explanation of the results of your winning are.I'd say both are good and it's worth saving at the end so you can see both. I do have a favourite though.
Spoiler:
Personally I've always preferred "The Man Who Never Was" In saving the world you've caused yourself to cease to have ever existed. Seriously mind-bending but that's what time travel does for you.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree