You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Frustrating Puzzle in an Adventure Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2004, 07:14 PM   #21
guybrush_guy

i think everyone here is going to change there mind on what the hardest one is once i post it...

MONKEY COMBAT!!!!!!!

i hated that damn puzzle, it was utterly point less.

eek eek oop
oop eek ook
SHUT UP YOU DAMN MONKEY AND JUST LET ME THREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2004, 03:01 AM   #22

I liked monkey combat.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:05 AM   #23
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Monkey wrench puzzle from 2 MI. I had no idea how was thatr thing called.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:56 AM   #24
SamNMax

I can't belive no one's said it.

Microscope puzzle; 7th Guest

Old 08-06-2004, 09:53 AM   #25
No thanks.

Quote:
Haha, that's where my game stopped 10 years ago when I played it. And then last year I tried the game and got to the same place and was stuck again. So sad.

I guess the most frustrating thing in recent memory was playing the Sherlock Holmes demo. The entire experiment and quiz section, ugh. I am NEVER buying that game.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:56 AM   #26

It's funny. Many of the puzzles listed here I found quite cute, and one of them (Grim Fandango's "Kitty Hat Day" puzzle) I think is brilliant. However, I have to concur with all criticism on Runaway's puzzles - they're some of the worst the genre has ever seen. When you want to reach through the screen and choke the lead character to death, something's wrong with the game.
One I really hated wasn't really a puzzle, but rather a misdesign IMO -- the Fax thingie on Gabriel Knight 2. When you enter the house, it shows the same video clip of you hanging your coat or whatever, but they appended a "btw you have a fax go pick it up yo" part, which you, having skipped the boring video you've seen 20 times already, miss. Then you get to wander around aimlessly until you get so bored you talk to everyone and voila, fax.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:50 PM   #27
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss
Working out the day, race and track no. in Grim Fandango to make the bet to get the picture
Even after cheating I didn't understand that puzzle.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 08-06-2004, 02:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthia
Monkey wrench puzzle from 2 MI. I had no idea how was thatr thing called.
I'm replaying that game and I just encountered that last night. I had fogotten every puzzle in the game so I'm glad you tapped my memory.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:52 PM   #29
guybrush_guy

i found the kitty hat puzzle to be very fun and well thought out.

Old 08-07-2004, 03:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
It took some time, but I was able to figure out the Mystes O' Tyme and the Perfume puzzles.

The diving contest is where the game ended for me (I don't do walkthroughs). I never could figure out how to impress one of those three judges. The game is still on my hard drive, but I'm about to uninstall it since I'm all out of ideas. It's been over two weeks since I've touched it. It'll be the first adventure game I've left unfinished.
You have to get some dirt on him. You might have something in your inventory that he might not want people to see.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:26 PM   #31
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
You have to get some dirt on him. You might have something in your inventory that he might not want people to see.
I figured out that one. My problem is with the judge who tells me that my splashes are too big. I'm sure it has something to with the lox-flavored baby seal oil and the hungry seagulls, but I couldn't figure it out. Maybe someday I'll think of something new to try.

I wasn't more specific in my earlier post because I didn't want any spoilers.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:06 PM   #32

Let me know if you need a hint.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:37 AM   #33
Hardcore Adventure Ninja!

Almost instantly a word popped up in my mind: Floyd! This damn arcade games (which you had to win in order to gain a token!!) gave and still giving me the creeps.

This turned me off so much that I never considered to play this (all in all) excellent game again.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:29 AM   #34
Master of Time and Space

Well, of the QFG series, I only played QFG4 and it took me three walkthrougs to realise that I had to click with the "mouth" icon on yourself if you want to say something. Without knowing this, I did manage to play halfway through. Now I'm finishing it.
In Nightlong, the combine mouse with skate was really strange, but rewarding.
In Syberia, I just couldn't make the damn cocktail, not even with the walkthrough. Eventually, it worked, but it took me an hour.
Playing: Omikron: The Nomad Soul Next: Sanitarium Replaying: QFG IV: Shadows of Darkness, Grim Fandango, Syberia Waiting for: Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, American McGee's OZ, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Fahrenheit, Anachronox 2 (if they ever make it)
Old 08-08-2004, 02:11 PM   #35
No justice. Only me.

The pinball puzzle in Shivers was by far the most frustrating puzzle I've ever played, even though the game itself is one of my favorites. A close second is the monastery maze in Riddle of Master Lu, especially if you wanted to take those long detours to get to the oddities hidden in the maze. I resorted to a guide on both of these puzzles.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:13 PM   #36
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshrill
As any Adventure Gamer knows, some games are just full of puzzles that are either illogical, frustrating, or both! What are some of the most frustrating puzzles you have encountered in an adventure game?

I am going to toss in one of the more common ones: the part in GK 3 where you must make a disguise to make Gabriel Knight look like Mosely. Cat hair, syrup, and hats do not a disguise make!
The goat puzzle in Broken Sword 1. Not even a real puzzle!
Old 08-09-2004, 03:05 AM   #37
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You can count the number of puzzles and dialogues that AREN'T frustrating in The Mystery of the Druids on the fingers of one hand. So many puzzles that you have to solve before you knew that there was a puzzle there...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
I can't belive no one's said it.

Hehe, well. I had my share of this one too The one with all the green and blue bacterias.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:34 AM   #39

Send a message via AIM to edlglide

I know exactly what you mean about the cocktail puzzle in Syberia -- I figured it out, but the drink was always wrong anyways. So I finally went to a walkthrough only to read that the solution was what I'd already figured out and had been trying to do. And finally it worked............I don't know if it was a bug in the game or what.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:59 AM   #40
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

For me the worst was the timed underwater maze in Cameron Files-Loch Ness. I did that so many times that I actually found a way to bypass it:

Spoiler:
If you go one step out from the door, then go back to the door, you will undo the clock mechanism and you can take yor time finding your way back without dying.

FGM