Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Most Frustrating Puzzle in an Adventure Game? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/4165-most-frustrating-puzzle-adventure-game.html)

Lucien21 11-09-2005 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChAoTiC
The monkey kombat in MI is what ended the game for me....its not really a puzzle, n still it takes so much time to do....just didnt wanna bother with writing down all those eek eek oop oop's.....MI4 generally was a dissapointment with the control and everything.....

It's as much of a puzzle as insult swordfighting was.

Same concept were over experience you learn which command beats another command to gain the upper hand in a fight.

The cookie puzzle in Still Life was probably one of the most frustrating as there was no feedback or clues provided to the solution.

The other Still Life puzzles I thought were perfectly fair and reasonable. The Lockpick puzzle was an excellent puzzle where the feedback was plain to see when you touched certain bits the same bits moved. It was just pattern recognition - I loved it.

The Spider puzzle I managed to do very quickly and as such didn't have a problem with it, but I could see how it might be frustrating.

Ninth 11-09-2005 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhunter71
There have been many "frustrating" puzzles mentioned so far, and I agree with most of them, although at the moment the most frustrating puzzle is in Still Life, where you have to guide the robot through the lasers:crazy:

I have tried this about 10 times so far but the robot always gets zapped:frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Are you using the keyboard?

portabello 11-09-2005 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuboy
I haven't read all the replies, so sorry if someones already said this, but the rocket puzzle in Myst gets my vote. For the record, Mr. Miller, not everyone is musically gifted! I spent hours on that, and it even stumped two musically inclined friends. Compared to that, the maze in selenitic was easy.

When I first played Myst that puzzle totally killed me. I had to use a tape recorder to complete it. Nowadays, after a bit of mandatory ear training courses at college , I can allign all of the sliders after hearing only a single reference pitch from the organ. But really though, you shouldn't need to train for adventure games.

Also, does anybody know if the organ sounds the same in RealMyst? As I recall, the organ tone was kind of lame in the original myst.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
15 Minutes!? What kind of sorry excuse of gameplay is that supposed to be?

Gameplay? This is path of the shell here. It was made to look pretty and sound nice. Gameplay was sort of an afterthought.

Manhunter71 11-10-2005 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
Are you using the keyboard?

Yes, is there an easier way?
If so, then I'd like to know because I haven't played the game for over a week now as it's really frustrating to keep getting zapped by those bloody lasers:crazy:

Karmillo 11-10-2005 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Yes, is there an easier way?
If so, then I'd like to know because I haven't played the game for over a week now as it's really frustrating to keep getting zapped by those bloody lasers:crazy:

you sure your going up the right wall? i spent ages trying to get up this wall only to check uhs and find out that it was impossible to go that way and tha ti had to go all the way round :shifty:

Zanthia 11-11-2005 01:12 PM

in first BS, puzzle with a goat.

Jeysie 11-11-2005 05:33 PM

Hmm. Are we limited to just graphic adventures? Because IMHO no puzzle causes the sensation of your soul being sucked out with a straw quite like the Babel Fish puzzle in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Peace & Luv, Liz

Vange 11-11-2005 08:21 PM

What about the damn submarine section in "codename: Iceman" ?
Never has a puzzle made me want to stop playing. I have yet to complete that game.

reno6 11-11-2005 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeysie
Hmm. Are we limited to just graphic adventures? Because IMHO no puzzle causes the sensation of your soul being sucked out with a straw quite like the Babel Fish puzzle in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"The Babel Fish shoots out of the machine and bounces off a mirror. It lands on a pillow, and the fish flops down into a grating. Luckily, that tentacle creature you bred is waiting and spikes him back out, but then he soars right into a blender. The blender is on. The fish is pureed, poured out of a straw, automatically reconstructed, then dumped into a large pool, where your floatation device saves it from almost certain doom. The floatie wades across the pool, but the fish is snagged on a large hook. The hook senses impact and begins to raise up on a chain. When the chain gets stuck, a little robot comes out and fries it apart, dropping the whole device onto the concrete below. The fish flails helplessly into a paper cup, right as a cleaner droid is picking it up to throw it in the trash. Luckily, you put that bar right in its path; the droid trips and the cup (containing the fish) rolls over to your feet. You step on the cup to stop it from rolling, but push too hard and squish your babel fish. TRY AGAIN!!!"

bianchigirl 11-12-2005 02:11 AM

Any puzzle that makes me search through a walkthrough - because at that point I feel like the puzzle doesn't fit the game and it's a disappointment. Usually these are action elements that are really badly integrated. It just spoils the flow of a good game for me and I wish more designers would either let you bypass or set low action/high puzzle content. Otherwise I like spending time trying to figure out a difficult puzzle if it makes sense in the context of the game.

tsa 11-12-2005 02:27 AM

Sanchio's island

For me at the moment there are two frustrations in Sancho's island (see http://www.sanchoisland.com/index.php). I (Sanchio) have to move a cart, but to be able to do that I first have to remove the rope that acts as a brake for the cart. I can't do that by hand, so it's obvious to try and cut it. In my home there is a sharp knife at the kitchen table. Sanchio refuses to pick up the knife. There is also an agitated dog in the village. I have a chicken in the kitchen. What is more logical than trying to occupy the dog by giving it (part of) the chicken to eat? But Sanchio also refuses to pick up the chicken. Things like this cause me to grab the walkthrough. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a walkthrough for this game on the Interweb.

stuboy 11-12-2005 05:05 AM

There seems to be a lot of hate for monkey-combat. I have to sort-of-disagree and say it was a funny idea (and not very hard) but it should have been a lot shorter; it just felt like busy-work in the end. And the final puzzle was clever - although I guess it was unfair to expect you to keep your notes

Zanthia 11-13-2005 02:38 PM

I dunno if to mention monkey wrench from MI2. I had no clue what to do there without a walkthrough.

Lucien21 11-13-2005 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanthia
I dunno if to mention monkey wrench from MI2. I had no clue what to do there without a walkthrough.

I thought that was a great one it was the first thing I thought of.

Pretty funny "Monkey" = "monkey wrench"

Ninth 11-14-2005 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21
I thought that was a great one it was the first thing I thought of.

Pretty funny "Monkey" = "monkey wrench"

In english? Maybe.
In french. Nah. Manivelle != Singe.

Oh wait, I guess he was called Manny. Manny-velle. Duh. 10 years later, Ninth sees the light.

footawn 11-14-2005 06:48 AM

i was playing still life last night... after all i'd heard about the infamous cookie puzzle, i figured it out after about 3-4 tries..

now that damn lockpick puzzle! i played with it for around an hour, and then had to check a FAQ before my head exploded.

i hate cheating, but sometimes it must be done!

MdaG 11-14-2005 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footawn
i was playing still life last night... after all i'd heard about the infamous cookie puzzle, i figured it out after about 3-4 tries..

now that damn lockpick puzzle! i played with it for around an hour, and then had to check a FAQ before my head exploded.

i hate cheating, but sometimes it must be done!

After trying the lockpick puzzle for about an hour I started taking notes and then quicly solved it. Just write down which key affects which and it's easy. The cookie puzzle was boring, but I solved that one pretty quickly. Only puzzles I've had problem with are the ones where I've missed some hotspot.

Zanthia 11-14-2005 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
In english? Maybe.
In french. Nah. Manivelle != Singe.

Oh wait, I guess he was called Manny. Manny-velle. Duh. 10 years later, Ninth sees the light.

Exactly. I had no idea that thing was called monkey wrench.

Kurufinwe 11-14-2005 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanthia
Exactly. I had no idea that thing was called monkey wrench.

Yes, add my :r for this puzzle, and bad localizations.

Oh, and don't listen to Ninth, he's just making things up. ;) That damn monkey was called Jojo in the French version too. I ought to know, my Dad found it sooo funny that the pianist we had been expecting since part 1 and that bore the same name as me (well, that would be a nickname for me) was actually a monkey --- you have no idea how long he teased me about that (senile old man). :D This puzzle gets another 3 :r's from me for that. :shifty:

footawn 11-14-2005 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG
After trying the lockpick puzzle for about an hour I started taking notes and then quicly solved it. Just write down which key affects which and it's easy. The cookie puzzle was boring, but I solved that one pretty quickly. Only puzzles I've had problem with are the ones where I've missed some hotspot.

i'm too lazy to take notes.

or, more accurately, i don't think i like still life enough to bother.