Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Im developing a NEW adventure - Last Half of Darkness (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/4157-im-developing-new-adventure-last-half-darkness.html)

billy7777 08-04-2004 09:15 AM

Im developing a NEW adventure - Last Half of Darkness

Hello adventurer's

I am an adventure game developer and I am updating an older game I made back in 1989 (then updated in 2000 - but not to the standards I wanted) The Last Half of Darkness - now im updating it again.

I need to make sure the game (using a new game engine) works on ALL systems. If interested, you may take a look a few screenshots and demo here:

http://www.lasthalfofdarkness.com/newlasthalf.htm

I appreciate any feedback or comments regarding my new adventure. (but most importantly I need to make sure the full-screen animation sequences work ok on ALL systems - example: you should move smoothly up the stairs)

Thanks
Bill

Erwin_Br 08-04-2004 10:41 AM

Ooo, those screenshots look great! Reminds me of the 7th Guest! (I don't have time to play the demo right now, but I will soon)

--Erwin

billy7777 08-04-2004 04:39 PM

Your game looks great too!

Your game looks great too! - took a look at your site...very impressive! Keep up the good work!

Cellardoor 08-04-2004 10:44 PM

The animations work perfectly, and look very good - well done. However, upon exiting the game, my PC crashed. I use a Windows XP computer.

Oh, and I was pleasantly surprised that the game actually managed to scare me! That hasn't happened in a long time.

Nomad 08-05-2004 12:00 AM

Wow, impressive screenshots! Looking forward to seeing progress!

billy7777 08-05-2004 07:42 AM

Thanks

Cellardoor: Thanks for taking a look and the comments. Although, Im somewhat concerned why it crashed in the end. ??? Do you know if it does it everytime? Do you have to re-boot to get out of it?

Nomad: Thanks for the comments.

timcclayton 08-05-2004 07:50 AM

Very nice looking game so far. I also run XP but didn't experience the crash after quitting so it looks like it may not be a pure XP issue ?

morriss 08-05-2004 02:47 PM

The screenshots look great and the demo's on is way! (boy I'm jealous I can't do stuff like this!!)

Switch 08-06-2004 01:03 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing puzzles in this game! :9~
The only annoying thing is that little music loop, not sure if this will be changed?

I used XP and had no problems with the game. :)

Cellardoor 08-06-2004 04:22 AM

OK - I figured out why the game crashed. My harddrive suffered from over-heating and instantly rebooted. :)

Switch - there is a puzzle in the game, actually. Try puzzling around with the pieces of paper. Cool puzzle by the way.

ragnar 08-06-2004 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy7777
I need to make sure the game (using a new game engine) works on ALL systems.

Doesn't work on linux (you said ALL systems).

billy7777 08-06-2004 05:18 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Yes... I suppose i should make that music loop a little longer huh?

Thanks cellardoor for letting me know why it crashed - I was wondering about that.

Thanks again to everyone whos tried out my game.
Bill

billy7777 08-11-2004 10:46 AM

Quote:

Doesn't work on linux (you said ALL systems).
Yes I did... but im not too familiar with Linux... Do most other adventure games work ok on Linux?

Also: I have a new video preview of my adventure. You may find it here:
http://www.lasthalfofdarkness.com/newlasthalf.htm

Please let me know if it looks interesting enough.

Thanks
Bill

TMOA 08-11-2004 02:29 PM

I just played it and i like what i saw, atho there was no real interaction with anything, the paper puzzle was quite fun :)

might i suggest that the tex not appear at the top of the screen, but perhaps in a spoken workd like a thought (with subtitle s on bottom above inventory bar )

I know it's alot to even suggest but i will say that you have done a great job so far and i look forward to the full version as i was scared also and that is no easy task.

One question did anyone else get a weird like trippy transition screen? Or is that a demo thing cause it happend to me in Syberia's demo.

Toefur 08-11-2004 07:47 PM

Quote:

Hello adventurer's

I am an adventure game developer and I am updating an older game I made back in 1989 (then updated in 2000 - but not to the standards I wanted) The Last Half of Darkness - now im updating it again.

Is this a remake of this game? :confused: I used to love that game...

billy7777 08-12-2004 04:49 AM

TMOA: Yes - a few others have mentioned the strange colors too - Im not sure why that is happening - do you know what Video Card you are using? Are you using your latest video drivers for that card. What version of DirectX?

Toefur: Yes - it is the same game - glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks
Bill

ragnar 08-12-2004 08:38 AM

Quote:

Yes I did... but im not too familiar with Linux... Do most other adventure games work ok on Linux?

No, most adventures doesn't work on Linux, but on the other hand, that is a rather poor excuse. It ultimately boils down to if you want to put in the effort to make it cross-platform or not.

billy7777 08-13-2004 08:29 AM

Yes - I would like to develop a version for linux too - I will look into porting over my windows version to linux too.