Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   so over 50, 000 people have visited savesamandmax.com (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/4096-so-over-50-000-people-have-visited-savesamandmax-com.html)

HieroHero 07-29-2004 11:16 PM

so over 50, 000 people have visited savesamandmax.com

surely that is enough of a fanbase to work with? theres gotta be some game publisher who would wanna be part of that.. how many copies of a game would need to be sold for an independant game developer to make money?

bigjko 07-29-2004 11:22 PM

Well, to be honest, not anywhere near to all those 50.000 people was going to buy Sam & Max 2.

remixor 07-29-2004 11:46 PM

Exactly. "Having visited a site" doesn't guarantee, or even suggest, devotion to the site's subject matter.

kitzingmarko 07-30-2004 01:06 AM

And every visitor was counted exactly once?

Erwin_Br 07-30-2004 01:23 AM

Wow. If I know I'm going to sell 50.000 copies of Bad Timing in the future, I'd sell it for $1 per copy!

--Erwin

HieroHero 07-30-2004 01:54 AM

50, 000 unique visitors... and why would someone go specifically to a save sam and max freelance police site and not wanna buy the game? its a pretty narrow kinda site their checkin out

Toefur 07-30-2004 04:50 AM

I think that's quite a reasonable number, actually. Certainly it's an indicator that there is an interest in the game. Of course, I don't know how much the game would have cost to make, so maybe they'd need to sell millions to break even.

Still, a conservative conversion of visits to sales [If it were to become available] is about 750 (1.5%) of those visitors would purchase the game. With something as niche as S&M and the particular site in question, though, I would consider 3-5%+ (at least) of those as people that would actually buy the game as a realistic estimation.

Sell the game at $50, there's $75,000, no mean feat for sure, but this site is only for people actively [and I stress the word actively] looking for S&M and it's cancellation, so there would at least be a considerable amount of non hardcore fans that wouldn't visit the site, but would consider buying the game.

To jump from 3% of sales from how many people visited the website, to say... a total of a minuscle 12,000 (How's that for a randomly selected number), there's at least $600,000 [If sold at $50] and that's got to go someway to covering a lot of costs, and I would expect 12,000 to be a considerably low estimate of sales anyway.

Specious, I know... but as the OP suggested, it could possibly be a marketable, profitable game to an independant developer/publisher.

remixor 07-30-2004 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HieroHero
50, 000 unique visitors... and why would someone go specifically to a save sam and max freelance police site and not wanna buy the game? its a pretty narrow kinda site their checkin out

One of their friends could tell them to go there, they could just end up there by following a link from Mixnmojo, many people probably ended up there during the SM2 cancellation business because it was linked from many other sites, etc., etc.

ConcreteRancor 07-30-2004 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
One of their friends could tell them to go there, they could just end up there by following a link from Mixnmojo, many people probably ended up there during the SM2 cancellation business because it was linked from many other sites, etc., etc.

The web comics VG Cats and Extra Life (to name just two) made big deals out of it, so probably a lot of fans of those strips went to the site as well.

bigjko 07-30-2004 10:58 AM

I bet a lot (maybe not the majority, but a lot) of these people didn't even know there was a Sam & Max sequel in the making, and just followed a link from some random gaming site. There were a lot of sites that reported the fact that it was cancelled, not a lot of those sites reported that it was in the making.

Swordmaster 07-30-2004 01:07 PM

And then, on the other hand, there are a lot of gamers who would have bought the game had they seen it in a store but never go online to find game info.

HieroHero 07-30-2004 04:55 PM

haha u guys are so cynical.. whatever the numbers i think it proved lucasarts research that showed no one was interested was wrong

bigjko 07-30-2004 05:01 PM

We're not cynical, we're just realistic. I mean, it was already quite obvious, within days of the announcement, that a huge number of people were upset about the cancellation. We're just discussing these numbers in a realistic manner.

Draco2.5 07-30-2004 07:57 PM

Those big ol' bed wetting doody heads at LucasArts are soo... supid!

Stinger 07-30-2004 10:45 PM

Man, this is such a coincidence. Today I woke up, and I was kind of in a good mood, and I said, "Hey, this good mood sucks. You know what I hope I get to do today? Dwell on Sam & Max 2 some more! Because I really don't think we've said all there is to say about it yet!"

Paying tribute (as we have done and plan to keep doing) is one thing. Regurgitating the same obnoxious lines about how stupid LucasArts is and how they were wrong is just such a waste of bandwidth. We all should know and understand the reasons. LucasArts is a company that ran out of cash after a series of stupid business decisions and couldn't afford to spend the money it would have taken to finish S&M2 without the guarantee of it being a mega-blockbuster--and the catch-22 is they were never going to spend the EXTRA marketing money to help it reach that status. It's over, it's done, it's not coming back. 50,000 is a pretty pathetic sales figure, anyway, so I sure hope that's not your argument.

Copy. Paste. Yawn.

So hey, what do you guys think of Dreamfall? :shifty:

remixor 07-30-2004 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger
So hey, what do you guys think of Dreamfall? :shifty:

That Ragnar jerk is such a hack. He doesn't even have a friggin bin. Me, I'm holding out for Atlantis Evolutions.

HieroHero 07-31-2004 04:15 PM

well id rather go over old ground on sam and max 2 than talk about anything new :frown:

adfegg 07-31-2004 11:50 PM

The only hope I can see is if someone decides to buy the rights to the game and publish it themselves.