You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Oh, dear... Larry on the N-Gage?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2004, 04:43 AM   #1
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune
Default Oh, dear... Larry on the N-Gage?

In the news headlines I saw some freaky news....
VU is making a Leisure Suit Larry game... for the N-Gage...
Leisure Suit Larry: Pocket Party?
(He he I have a party in my pocket)
Doesn't even sound like an adventure to me...
10 characters? It's DEFINETLY NOT an adventure....
I'm guessing it's... it's... (shudder) a party game like Mario Party like the title suggests... :eek:
I bet the minigames will be stuff like beer chugging and panty raids....

I HATE to one of those "I already hate the game" guys, but I have a bad feeling about this....
Old 07-22-2004, 05:20 AM   #2

Except from the 10 characters feature, it doesn't sound that much different from the 'adventuregame' being released at the same time.
Not exactly "finally a reason to purchase an N-Gage" for me.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:24 AM   #3

VU Games is always concerned about making money but they're making a game for THE N-GAGE? How many people are seriously going to buy it.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChimp
VU Games is always concerned about making money but they're making a game for THE N-GAGE? How many people are seriously going to buy it.
Well, look at it this way. If just one out of every ten N-Gage owners buys it, then at least one person will buy it.

mag
Old 07-22-2004, 06:33 AM   #5
guybrush_guy

there is a pole over at gamespot asking if your going to buy the new N-gage QD about 5665 (75) said no way and an other 10 percent said they were'nt going to buy it becuase it did'nt have "side talk"

Old 07-22-2004, 07:23 AM   #6

I guess some people enjoy throwing away time and money.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 07-22-2004, 07:46 AM   #7
Puts the 'e' in Mark

The N-Gage as a business venture might still succeed, but the N-Gage as a concept, the way it currently plays, and the number of titles available is utter shit. I find the vertical screen next to useless for 3D games. It's like playing with blinders on! Ashen looks and plays like the original Heretic and is just boring. The realism and Band-of-Brothers-ness of Pathway to Glory was ridiculously overplayed, while it should have just been a fun game in the spirit of Cannon Fodder. Other than those few exclusive games, N-Gage has a bunch of licensed titles and existing franchises, all of which have "meh" written all over them, all of which you can also get elsewhere, and all of which were only produced because Nokia pays a lot for them.

Nokia keeps saying how the combination of phone and gaming device is unique enough to justify the N-gage's existence. They claim it somehow radically changes everything we thought we knew; that it will open up grand new vistas for the game industry. If the fact that it's a phone matters so much, why are there zero location-based games available for the N-gage, or other games that somehow use the mobile phone component? (Not that it justifies making a mobile/gamedevice hybrid, but at least it'd make a little more sense.)

If Nokia had hooked up with Endemol and created a bunch of tie-ins with Pop Idols or Big Brother or something (using all that SMS/interactivity crap and expanding it into small pocket games, possibly location-based) they might actually have some sort of vaguely unique and marketable concept. I pity the hipster who gets tricked into buying this "game deck", thinking its a GBA except cooler and more extreme. Gamers don't like the N-Gage. It's got little to offer to casual players (it's way too expensive for them, anyway). To top it off, the mobile phone's built-in SMS-enslaved teen girl demographic has not been targeted in any way even though that's probably the one big way the N-Gage could have been different from every other system.

Sorry for the rant. N-gage will die a slow and long death, unless Nokia's huge investements in the games industry suddenly pay off, and they get to their senses.

Last edited by Marek; 07-22-2004 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
A Servicable Villain

I keep trying to explain this to my buddy who has an N-Gage. But somehow he has just fallen in love with it, disregarding the fact that there are only crappy games for it. He doesn't even game on it that much, just uses it as a telephone. I guess he just like sidetalkin'.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
I keep trying to explain this to my buddy who has an N-Gage. But somehow he has just fallen in love with it, disregarding the fact that there are only crappy games for it. He doesn't even game on it that much, just uses it as a telephone. I guess he just like sidetalkin'.

I guess all N-Gage users are that insane. There was a person at my school who kept saying the n-gage was awesome.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:12 AM   #10
Puts the 'e' in Mark

... demonstating their high level of brand awareness.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:28 AM   #11
No justice. Only me.

To put it simply, N-Gage is a Jack-of-all-trades, sucks-at-em-all.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:05 PM   #12
More slaw!!!

I'd like to know what an N-Gage is, if somebody wouldn't mind...
Old 07-22-2004, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
I'd like to know what an N-Gage is, if somebody wouldn't mind...
It's a crappy phone/handheld game system but it sucks so much because it's a huge phone and it's a crappy game system that doesn't have any good games for it.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:06 PM   #14
guybrush_guy

Quote:
It's a crappy phone/handheld game system but it sucks so much because it's a huge phone and it's a crappy game system that doesn't have any good games for it.
that's the best discription i have heard yet, I'm serious...
the n-game is CRAP!! with a capital SHIT

Old 07-22-2004, 07:13 PM   #15
Citizen of Bizarro World

I think it was in EW that I've read that they've redesigned the N-gage, to the point where it now sounds as an actually appealing product. They're making it smaller (taking out the music playing capabilities). No more side-talk either. The numeric button setup is more convenient as well. Also, now you wont need to take out the battery to switch game cartridges. However, the vertical screen still stays!!!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 07-22-2004, 07:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I think it was in EW that I've read that they've redesigned the N-gage, to the point where it now sounds as an actually appealing product. They're making it smaller (taking out the music playing capabilities). No more side-talk either. The numeric button setup is more convenient as well. Also, now you wont need to take out the battery to switch game cartridges. However, the vertical screen still stays!!!
Believe it or not, PC Gamer USA gave the new n-gage an 85% (or 84, somewhere around there)
Old 07-22-2004, 09:38 PM   #17
guybrush_guy

but, did'nt they give it a better score when the first N-gage came out?

Old 07-22-2004, 09:45 PM   #18
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Believe it or not, PC Gamer USA gave the new n-gage an 85% (or 84, somewhere around there)
oh yeah, that's where I've read it!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 07-22-2004, 10:01 PM   #19
@_@

Send a message via ICQ to Estoy Loco

To be fair, the new QD definitely looks a lot better than the old N-Gage(and much more reasonably priced), but theres still no chance of me getting one.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:45 AM   #20
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.