Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   The Last Express : Worth The Buy For A Detective Mystery s Fan ? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/385-last-express-worth-buy-detective-mystery-s-fan.html)

Leonard Shelby 10-07-2003 09:09 AM

The Last Express : Worth The Buy For A Detective Mystery s Fan ?

Hello and sorry if a thread about this game has already been made but i would really have everyone opinion here about this game :)

How any good is this game ?

I ve heard there s too many dialogue into it and you have heard them all for solving this game, is this true ?

How are the puzzles too ? Difficult ? Logical ? The characters interaction ?

Also i ve read people complaining about the fact you have to wait into the train for long minutes before something would really happen into it .

Also what s about the fight sequences : are they fitting well into the game or are they bothering at all ?

Thanks for giving my your advice about it but since i m looking for a great mystery detective adventure i would like to give this one a try but need to know what adventure gamers feel about it before :7

LancelotLink 10-07-2003 10:00 AM

We may have similar tastes, because Memento is my favorite movie, and The Last Express is my favorite computer game. Iit is a very unusual game. It has very few puzzles, but all the puzzles are very well integrated and logical. The meat of this game is the mystery. You spend most of the game either participating in or overhearing conversations, or sneaking into other people's compartments to figure out what every passenger's loyalties and motives are.

The beauty of the game is that it basically happens in real-time. If you are in the dining car at a certain time, you may overhear a conversation there, but miss a conversation in the sleeping cars. Most of the conversations are basically optional, and there are generally several different ways to get clues as to what you need to do.

The fighting is generally pretty easy, and I believe there is some cheat to get past it (which you shouldn't need).

Overall, TLE is an unusual but fantastic game, with superb voice acting, realistic dialog, and a brilliant plot.

remixor 10-07-2003 10:07 AM

If you can get ahold of this game, buy it. It's excellent. Certainly one of the most innovative games ever made, and the execution is fantastic.

sillycanadian 10-07-2003 10:28 AM

The Last Express is one of my favorite games of all time. The puzzles are generally very good, but sometimes too easy due to the fact that the game's cursor automatically changes into the necessary inventory icon. The bigger ouzzle, however, is in being in the right place at the right time. This is brilliantly incorporated into the real-time aspect of the game. I feel that the fight scenes fit right into the story, and once you get the hang of them they're nothing to worry about. Plus if you get your hands on this game, you're getting your hands on what is one of the few truly replayable adventure games, due to the endless combinations of reaching the end. I give it my highest recommendation.

DomStLeger 10-07-2003 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Shelby
I ve heard there s too many dialogue into it and you have heard them all for solving this game, is this true ?

I think you mean you have to hear every piece of dialogue to complete the game? If thats what you mean; then no don't worry you don't. However if you replay the game you will probably hear dialogue you didn't hear before and that will increase you're understanding of the story. But you can play the game through once; not doing everything possible and still enjoy the full plot and game. There is no requirement to hear/do everything.

Quote:

Also i ve read people complaining about the fact you have to wait into the train for long minutes before something would really happen into it .

There should be no moments when this happens; don't worry. There is always something going on somewhere.

Quote:

Also what s about the fight sequences : are they fitting well into the game or are they bothering at all ?

They'e not too taxing and add to the atmosphere of the game. However if you really don't like them there is apparently a key you can press to skip a fight scene. (can't remember what it is at the moment...)

Personally I love The lat Express, it's a deep and rich adventure game; which is a unique experience. If you have the oppertunity to get your hands on it; do so. Even if you end up disliking it; it's an experience every adventure gamer should try.

DustCropper 10-07-2003 11:20 AM

The Last Express is one of my favorite games. If you appreciate a good story and immersive gameplay then you'll like it, trust me.

Garyos 10-07-2003 11:30 AM

The Last Express is one of the best mystery games ever, IMO. The story, characters and gameworld fits together like........ legos. (I need to work on that analogy thingamajig everyone seems to be using....)

Leonard Shelby 10-07-2003 05:36 PM

Thanks to everyone who has answered to this thread :)

All of you gave me the need to buy it as soon as possible and that s exactly what i m gonna do : can t wait to take this Last Express for sure :9~

pleto4_ryan 10-07-2003 10:08 PM

I just hope you find it in a logic prize :rolleyes:

:P

Tamara 10-08-2003 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LancelotLink
Memento is my favorite movie, and The Last Express is my favorite computer game.

Well, that's finally convinced me .. gonna try the game out at last :)

Erwin_Br 10-08-2003 12:55 AM

What a coincidence, I just won this game on Ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=11047&rd=1

It's even boxed! Can't wait to play this baby, looking at the comments above.

--Erwin

sillycanadian 10-08-2003 01:31 AM

Let everyone know what you think once you're all finished.

DustCropper 10-08-2003 12:56 PM

If you still need convincing, then it's worth saying that the Last Express was rated #12 in Adventure Gamers' Top 20 Adventure Games of All Time list.

Here.

D.C. 10-09-2003 01:03 PM

This game definately looks pretty damn cool. :)

remixor 10-09-2003 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustCropper
If you still need convincing, then it's worth saying that the Last Express was rated #12 in Adventure Gamers' Top 20 Adventure Games of All Time list.

Here.

Why hasn't this been added back to the site yet? :confused:

twifkak 10-10-2003 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomStLeger
There should be no moments when this happens; don't worry. There is always something going on somewhere.

I had a few moments where nothing was going on for a few minutes, but it only increased the drama for me -- the tension of knowing that you're in trouble but having to wait around helpless for a spat until you find more things out.

Erwin_Br 10-10-2003 07:52 AM

I'm still waiting to receive the game (I bought it on Ebay 2 days ago) so I can't say much about it yet, but the graphics look a bit awkward. With that I mean the 2D characters in front of a 3D rendered background. The characters don't merge too well.

Non the less, I'm very much looking forward to play it, looking at all the positive reactions I've seen.

--Erwin

remixor 10-10-2003 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
I'm still waiting to receive the game (I bought it on Ebay 2 days ago) so I can't say much about it yet, but the graphics look a bit awkward. With that I mean the 2D characters in front of a 3D rendered background. The characters don't merge too well.

I thought the same thing, but it actually works well once you get used to it. Since the characters are rotoscoped, it works better than if they were just hand-drawn.