You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure BS3...Whats up with this??!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2004, 08:35 AM   #1
Escaped Monkey Island

Default BS3...Whats up with this??!!

So I've been playing BS3 and I got to the castle part. And I can officially say that the whole "stealth" aspect of this part of the game is the most stupid thing I've ever seen. If I wanted stealth action I would play Splinter Crap.
Does this annoy anyone else? What are your thoughts on these action oriented parts in AGs?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
Burning

I found zillions of crate puzzles more annoying!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:05 AM   #3

I think it would've worked better if they'd made that part of the game more logical and dynamic.

For example, often you could walk in plain sight as long as you were far enough away from the guards and weren't running.

In the case of the castle, it should've also been possible to sneak past the guards and go straight into the garden. This should've worked logically speaking, but the game just shoots you down whenever you try it. Pity.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonGoodsoup
So I've been playing BS3 and I got to the castle part. And I can officially say that the whole "stealth" aspect of this part of the game is the most stupid thing I've ever seen. If I wanted stealth action I would play Splinter Crap.
Does this annoy anyone else? What are your thoughts on these action oriented parts in AGs?
Well, simply put, they did a lousy job with it. I could go on and on about how it should have been done, but it's pretty obvious so I won't. I finally got to play the Thief: Deadly Shadows demo, and I had played the Hitman demos to death, and I've done Splinter Cell, etc. Stealth is one of my favourite styles, and I can say that Rev did not do their homework and studied those games for BS3. Hopefull the next BS will do a better job.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-28-2004, 09:49 AM   #5
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Well, simply put, they did a lousy job with it. I could go on and on about how it should have been done, but it's pretty obvious so I won't. I finally got to play the Thief: Deadly Shadows demo, and I had played the Hitman demos to death, and I've done Splinter Cell, etc. Stealth is one of my favourite styles, and I can say that Rev did not do their homework and studied those games for BS3. Hopefull the next BS will do a better job.
I haven't played BS3, and judging from what I've heard, I don't really plan on it. A poorly-managed stealth portion of a game can pretty much ruin the entire game for me, since I'm also such a huge fan of those games. Probably my favorite of the genre would be No One Lives Forever 2, because you didn't HAVE to be stealthy, but if you wanted too, the game let you, and let you do it well. Sure, you can't do the tricks you can do in Splinter Cell, but for a FPS, the tricks you CAN pull are quite enough.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
Bad command or file name

I think the next BS game would "do a better job" to not incorperate these aspects into the game at all. I personally do not think that the stealth sequences or the plethora of crate pushing furthered either the game or the genre. I think rev's descision to expand the adventure genre only wound up alienating me and many other adventure gamers. Maybe that's why the game didn't sell very well. How can people say that there is no market for adventure games when no one is making any true adventures anymore to find out if they'd sell or not. Sorry, I'm off topic and am rambling so I'll exit my high horse now. ...bysmitty
Old 06-28-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

The only reason that I can justify the crate puzzles with is that Revolution was trying to extend the length of the game. Nothing else makes sense to me, as the crate puzzles were the dullest moments in the game. That and the stealth sequences.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
Bobyboy

Send a message via MSN to Bobyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fool
The only reason that I can justify the crate puzzles with is that Revolution was trying to extend the length of the game. Nothing else makes sense to me, as the crate puzzles were the dullest moments in the game. That and the stealth sequences.
besides , the next broken sword is in 2d anyway
Old 06-29-2004, 12:58 PM   #9
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
On the other hand, Thief 3, did a rather lousy job with the story, something which is very good with BS3. Why is it that you have to choose between good game play and good story?

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 06-29-2004, 01:25 PM   #10
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

While I wasn't a fan of the stealth sections, they were perfectly playable, and were considerably better than those of In Cold Blood - so kudos to Revolution for getting better between the games .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:48 PM   #11

I enjoyed most parts of the game, telling you which parts suck is somewhat of a spoiler in my book so I won't go there. I don't remember there being that much stealth, but then again, amazingly, I got through that part in one go, so people who would've retried it might have experienced it in a different, lengthier and more agonising way. I seriously don't understand why the Inventory never covered this game out of prejudice. It is, by all definitions, an adventure game.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:52 PM   #12
merely human

The Inventory is a very, very conservative publication, jjacob. As such, they seem extreme in what they choose to cover. My wager is that they deemed BS3 unworthy of coverage because it tried to be progressive and did things other adventure developers hadn't.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-30-2004, 04:00 AM   #13
8-Bit Spritemaster™

I think stealth could have been improved a bit. Even if they did nothing more than copy & paste everything good from Metal Gear Solid 2, it still would have been a better deal.

As far as the boxes, they were innovative to a degree, but they ended up being overused.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 06-30-2004, 12:14 PM   #14

Quote:
The Inventory is a very, very conservative publication, jjacob. As such, they seem extreme in what they choose to cover. My wager is that they deemed BS3 unworthy of coverage because it tried to be progressive and did things other adventure developers hadn't.
The creator of The Inventory considered it too action-oriented to be covered in his publication. One person's idea of "progressive" is another's idea of "different genre."

It's really up to The Inventory what they choose to review or not. There were plenty of mainstream websites and magazines where you could read about BS3. It certainly didn't lack for hype. A review in The Inventory would have been redundant at best, and [understatement] I doubt it would have gotten a good rating there[/understatement]. Don't you think it's better that The Inventory not rate it at all?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:57 PM   #15
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple
Don't you think it's better that The Inventory not rate it at all?
I think it's better, because they would have torn it to bits, and for that publication it definitely would be redundant. And bigoted. I'll end it here, 'cause I will not feed the flame war over such pathetic trivialities.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:10 PM   #16
Escaped Monkey Island

I'm dinging in again because i just recently finished the game. And I have to say that the last part of the game annoys me even more than the stealth garbage.

Spoiler:
The part when you slash the dragon was pure action in my opinon.

I'm really dissapointed in this game.