You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

Default Dark Seed

So, I was browsing through my immense collection of cds, and I found a game named 'dark seed'. The first few rooms of it looked crappy, but, hey, those of Shadow of the comet looked so too. So, my question is, is this a game with good plot and worth playing?
Old 06-09-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I haven't played it yet myself, but it's H.R.Giger game... Or something similar...
It got a sequel so it can't be that bad...
Old 06-09-2004, 01:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
I haven't played it yet myself, but it's H.R.Giger game... Or something similar...
It got a sequel so it can't be that bad...
Deer Hunter has had multiple sequels
Old 06-09-2004, 10:57 PM   #4

At its time it was a great game. Filmed actors, creepy atmosphere and lots of gigeresque graphics.

Today, well...
Old 06-10-2004, 12:56 AM   #5

I tried it once or twice about a decade ago and stopped after a short while each time.

Then about 4 years ago I got DarkSeed-2 (Graphics also by H.R.Giger, the famous surrealist biomechanical style artist). I played it and on the whole enjoyed it considerably.
I even wrote an over-detailed walkthru for DS-2.

I then returned to DS-1and finished it. IIRC, I didn't enjoy the story & puzzles as much as the sequel!
Old 06-10-2004, 03:35 AM   #6
LA-S-LE

Vel
I suggest you to play the game, maybe just for great atmosphere, nice lovecraftian story and great art by H.R.Giger. Though, the puzzles and the whole gameplay are not very good.
The sequel, Darkseed 2, is worth then the original game, IMHO. It has rather loosy storyline, feautures very linear gameplay and the graphics in the game was, as far as I know, just based on Giger, not made by him.

"The first few rooms of it looked crappy, but, hey, those of Shadow of the comet looked so too." - And what do you mean by that?
Old 12-30-2004, 08:14 AM   #7
kamikaze hummingbirds

Default Downloading DarkSeed

I've been wondering for a long while if there is anywhere where I can download DarkSeed for free legally because, being a really old game, it is impossible to find and I dont want to try eBay.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #8

I have this game, but couldn't even get it to start to run on Windows 95, would there be any point to even try to run it on Windows XP?

Antoinetta
Old 12-30-2004, 09:02 AM   #9
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
I've been wondering for a long while if there is anywhere where I can download DarkSeed for free legally because, being a really old game, it is impossible to find and I dont want to try eBay.
Nope.
It's not freeware. So your only choice is ebay or some garage sale or flea market.

I got mine from a local ebay like finnish place once, and I got it with a fairly cheap price.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:25 AM   #10
Adventure Collector

If you like horror/detective games both of these games are very good. Both games were developed and published by CYBERDREAMS, also known for games like "NOIR" and "I HAVE NO MOUTH AND I MUST SCREAM", which I also recommend, especially the second one.
"DARKSEED" and "DARKSEED 2" were released 3 years apart, with "DARKSEED 2" being, in my opinion, way better than "DARKSEED". In order to understand the whole story and idea you have to play both games, though. Both games however have an extremely linear gameplay, making the puzzle-solving very difficult at times. If you are an H.R.GIGER or the "ALIEN" movies fan, both of these games are a must play.
You can play both games on XP, by using DOSBOX.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:53 AM   #11

You haven't played, for instance, Black Mirror, have you?

I mean, at its time, Dark Seed was a great game, very creepy and stuff, and innovative and with good graphics, but why on earth do you call this heap of pixel mud "very good" in 2005? Erm, 2004?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:13 AM   #12
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

"Heap of pixel mud"? What a vivid description!
You young whippersnappers! In my day we had 256 colors on a 640x480 screen and we were proud to have it!
Seriously, muddy graphics can be excused by great gameplay and challenging puzzles, but according to most of the respondants to this thread, the gameplay in "Dark Seed" is kind of mediocre.
As I've never played the game, I can't say for sure, but it sounds like this is one to save for a boring, rainy day while you're waiting for "Revenge Of The Evil Nasty Icky Things III- The Gross-out" to be released, and don't feel like starting anything major or time-consuming.

Just my two cents,
Thrift Store Scott

Share the love.

<3
Old 12-31-2004, 07:31 AM   #13
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

It was timed, timed adventures usually kill all the fun....
Old 12-31-2004, 08:18 AM   #14
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad
You haven't played, for instance, Black Mirror, have you?

I mean, at its time, Dark Seed was a great game, very creepy and stuff, and innovative and with good graphics, but why on earth do you call this heap of pixel mud "very good" in 2005? Erm, 2004?
There are a lot of old games in a resolution as low as 320x200 that look much better, artistically, than a few games I know that run in a resolution of 1024x764 or higher.

Not because I find 320x200 a better resolution, but simply because the artwork created by the artist was superiour. Technology and artistry are two completely different (albeit related) aspects, so yeah: A heap of pixels can still look good in 2005.

--Erwin