You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Discworld Noir - abandonware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2004, 07:32 AM   #1
pain is love

Default Discworld Noir - abandonware

I don't know if you knew that Discworld Noir was recently released as abandonware, so now you can download the whole trilogy based on Terry Pratchett's books! It's a CD-rip and with optional movie add-on to download. It's about 330 mb, and I believe it's worth of downloading. Dig in!

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja

Last edited by Stinger; 06-05-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:35 AM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Wow, I haven't yet played Discworld Noir.
Now it seems I get the chance
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
Super Moderator

It's still on sale legally in the UK.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:47 AM   #4

CD-rip version means what exactly?
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 06-05-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
I don't know if you knew that Discworld Noir was recently released as abandonware, so now you can download the whole trilogy based on Terry Pratchett's books! It's a CD-rip and with optional movie add-on to download. It's about 330 mb, and I believe it's worth of downloading. Dig in!
Who authorized it?

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright

Last edited by Stinger; 06-05-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:41 AM   #6
Retirement is stupid

Games don't get "released" as abandonware. It just gets decided that it's been long enough that it's okay to break the copyright--which it's not. Please don't post links to download games that have not been released as public domain.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 06-05-2004, 11:24 AM   #7

I saw it on sale for like something 4,99€ (or 49,99€ but I highly doubt it) like 6 months ago in a huge computer warehouse (already own it though). So I'm guessing whoever 'authorized' it (probably Underdogs right?) has done so illegally. There are lots of "abandonware" sites but they're all illegal. I know it's hard to find old games but using various sites like ebay you should be able to find most 'retired' games for a dime (sometimes people even sell all their old adventure games in one sale). Most huge computer warehouses/shops should also carry a fair amount of old games if you look carefully..
Old 06-05-2004, 11:35 AM   #8
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

I noticed the download appearing on the site in question a while ago, but I didn't comment since I feel they're being naughty. It's quite disappointing, as the site is usually 'reputable' as far as abandonware sites go, only offering games that are genuinely 'out of print' (and removing downloads if they become available again). It's possible that they're just unaware that the game is still readily available, though - and it is readily available, on store shelves and everything - so they may well consider taking it down if someone told them.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
Banned User

I just bought a brand new Replay (UK) copy of DN six months ago for $14.99. I'm fairly sure it can't be realistically called "abandonware" yet.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:48 AM   #10
Banned User

Default Discworld Noir rip

Way to screw the creators of a fine adventure game. Show your support for their efforts and download it for free. Show your support for the stealware site. Help ensure the title will never be rereleased commercially for as long as we live. Go on, you know you want to.

www.adventurecompanion.com

Last edited by Simo Sakari Aaltonen; 06-05-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #11

The nerve of those scum, letting people have the oppertunity to play old games that--
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 06-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #12
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hmm, usually underdogs doesn't put illegal game dl links?

At least that's what I've heard of them, I'd buy the game if I'd see it somewhere in here where I am, but haven't seen it in a looong time on sale.

Well then, I won't dl it.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:12 PM   #13
Dungeon Master

What Huz said. The site has had pretty pure reputation in my book so far, so this came as quite a shock. I saw Discworld Noir in a normal distribution ca. six months ago (and didn't buy it - yes I REALISE I am a moron).
Old 06-05-2004, 01:26 PM   #14
Umbilicus Mundi

It's still sold here as well, and I've been meaning to buy it, but the price is kind of high for a game that old (don't remember what it was exactly, but probably something like $34 USD).

Old 06-05-2004, 02:43 PM   #15
Under pressure.

I'm sure they'll remove it when they find out. Either that, or their management has changed.

--Erwin
Old 06-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to Jakek Send a message via AIM to Jakek Send a message via MSN to Jakek Send a message via Yahoo to Jakek

I know that it's available in Europe, but in the US (or at least on US websites and stores in my area) it's virtually non-existant. I have never even seen it used outside of Ebay. I don't support piracy, but I really would like to find a place to get this game. I hear so much about it, but I can't find it for the life of me.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #17
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakek
I know that it's available in Europe, but in the US (or at least on US websites and stores in my area) it's virtually non-existant. I have never even seen it used outside of Ebay. I don't support piracy, but I really would like to find a place to get this game. I hear so much about it, but I can't find it for the life of me.
Was it even RELEASED in the USA? I seem to remember reading that it wasn't. I don't remember where I saw that (so I might have made it up or something), but I imagine that's a large part of the reason why it's been posted up as abandonware in the first place. The fact that it has numerous unpatched bugs (and not only Windows XP incompatibilities) probably doesn't help its cause either...
Old 06-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to Jakek Send a message via AIM to Jakek Send a message via MSN to Jakek Send a message via Yahoo to Jakek

You may be right; I have never seen it in stores. Odd, considering I know the other Discworld games were released.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:49 AM   #19
pain is love

Sorry if it really is sold, I couldn't find it anywhere here. I also looked up, but it seems like the company that made it (Perfect 10) and the Publisher (psygnosis) don't exist anymore? So, I would like to know which company has the legal rights to sell it? If anyone knows...
BTW, I was also under the impression that HOTU is a straight-up site, that's why I really haven't bothered to check it out.

by_100ja
Old 06-06-2004, 04:04 AM   #20
pain is love

Sorry Stinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
Games don't get "released" as abandonware. It just gets decided that it's been long enough that it's okay to break the copyright--which it's not. .
OK, the important thing is that you and everyone else got my point, ain't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
Please don't post links to download games that have not been released as public domain.
Won't happen again...

by_100ja