You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Martin Mystere & other Italian comics based titles (?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default Martin Mystere & other Italian comics based titles (?)

I was surprised to hear of this title based on a series of Italian comics which was very popular in Serbia. I myself never read Martin Mystere, it seemed like too much mumbo-jumbo to me at the time (as did Dylan Dogg) However, there are other Italian series, which some of you may or may not know about--Mr. No, Zagor and Captain Mark were some of my favorites, particularly the former two, and most specifically, the foremost one. The impending release of Martin Mystere (I suspect it's Europe only for now?) makes me wonder how popular Italian comics are in other European countries--Anyone?
If MM's succesful, that'll also give me hope for titles based on other series. I always thought Mr. No's story would adapt well to the adventure format (w/ action elements). Invariably, there would have to be a puzzle where he needs to start his airplane. The solution? Kick the dashboard, what else!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 06-01-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
Retirement is stupid

I saw a portion of Artematica's demonstration of Martin Mystere to Randy from JA+. It looks like a pretty decent traditional adventure, in the vein of Gabriel Knight 1. A few quirks that might not translate well to non-fans of the comic, but who knows what can happen in localization.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 06-01-2004, 11:17 PM   #3

Erm... Never heard of any of those, except Dylan Dog, since there used to be a Dylan Dog adventure way back on the 64.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:53 PM   #4
Citizen of Bizarro World

A Dylan Dog game? If I remember correctly, those comics had a similar theme as Martin Mystere, dealing with the supernatural etc.

Hearing about this game I did some research on the character. Here's a source link for much of my info, which will only benefit the Croatian and Serbian speakers around here http://www.derventskilist.com/feb2004/marti.htm The rest of you can check it out if only for the picture of the character, in all his non-3d shabbiness.
I also read the JA+ review to compare how faitful the game adaptation was to the comics.

Apparently, (and both sources agree) Martin is an anthropologist/archeologist/computer expert whose adventures are much like those of Indiana Jones. He specializes in uncovering the great secrets of history. A sinister organization called Men in Black covers up much of his findings, and are his biggest enemies.
He is a smartass and likes to show off his superior intelligence in front of others, (sounds like someone we know? you know who you are! ) especially ladies.
When it comes to the mystical aspects of the comics, he's been studying in Tibet, where he received a third eye ( ). I wonder how this translates to the game--as in examine object vs examine object with 3rd eye. He also received some type of 15 thousand year old weapon, which looks like a box ( ) I wonder if this will actually be part of his inventory. His favorite weapon is a laser gun, which is once again confusing, as the comics take place in present time. (Evan, is this what you thought of when you said that the game has "a few quirks that might not translate well to non-fans of the comic"?) Martin is also very handy in old fashioned hand to hand combat. I wonder why, with such a legacy, the development team (from Italy BTW) chose to make this an adventure game w/o any action elements (JA+ emphasizes this). Anyway, now I'm interested in the actual comic books, and also wonder how the game'll turn out.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:32 AM   #5
Physicist

Good of you to take interest in Dylan Dog. I wouldn't mind seeing it as a game either. Actually there is (yet another) comic book to film adaptation in process of Dylan Dog. It's called Dead Of The Night.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:13 AM   #6
pain is love

Dylan Dog is one of my favourite comics. It's like that in Croatia, we can buy these comics on every newsstand. Most of them are italian I believe (Alan Ford, Mystere, Dylan Dog, Zagor...). It's just that they are easy to buy, and not to expensive. As far as US comics, you can get them here if you try but they are quite expensive too. So it's like that: the italian ones are everywhere, and they always were our 1st choice.
BTW, I wonder if anyone here can help me? I'm trying to find out if a Dylan Dog adventure called "Horror Luna Park" (1999) was ever localized anywhere? It was originally made in italian.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 06-05-2004, 07:54 AM   #7

There were several adventure games based on the Dylan Dog comic. I have fond memories of Dylan Dog: Through the Looking Glass on the Amiga ( http://hol.abime.net/?id=461 ). It was a very atmospheric game, a bit scary even. There's a PC version available off Home of the Underdogs.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:00 AM   #8
Physicist

I don't understand why Dylan Dog comics aren't popular here, and why they aren't translated into English in the first place. Here it's mostly American comics, such as Darkness, Preacher, Marvel, DC (all good) but the stories are nowhere near the complexity that Italian comics such as Dylan Dog provide. Last I heard Dylan Dog was the best selling horror comic in the world, no wonder they are making it into a movie. It would be great if they make it into a modern adventure, since it would have a potential of becoming the next Gabriel Knight
Old 06-25-2004, 01:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
BTW, I wonder if anyone here can help me? I'm trying to find out if a Dylan Dog adventure called "Horror Luna Park" (1999) was ever localized anywhere? It was originally made in italian.
Nope, never released in any language other than Italian as far as I know though there was a talk (don't know how much official) about an English version.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:53 AM   #10
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
Nope, never released in any language other than Italian as far as I know though there was a talk (don't know how much official) about an English version.
And it's a damn shame. Anyway, THANX martin!

by_100ja
Old 06-25-2004, 12:33 PM   #11
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan_Dog
I don't understand why Dylan Dog comics aren't popular here, and why they aren't translated into English in the first place. Here it's mostly American comics, such as Darkness, Preacher, Marvel, DC (all good) but the stories are nowhere near the complexity that Italian comics such as Dylan Dog provide. Last I heard Dylan Dog was the best selling horror comic in the world, no wonder they are making it into a movie. It would be great if they make it into a modern adventure, since it would have a potential of becoming the next Gabriel Knight
I found Nathan Never in an American comic book store. He's one of the newer Italian heroes, and I've never read him, nor did I buy it back then. Anyone know if he's any good?

Old 06-26-2004, 12:02 AM   #12
pain is love

It's quite good, you should try one at least. Not as good as Dylan Dog, but i would say I like it just as much as Mystere. It's about a cop in the future. But here's a link so visit:
http://platinumstudios.com/titles/nathan_never.php
or this one (da malo vježbaš ):
http://www.stripovi.com/index.asp?Re...%2FNN%2Easp%3F

by_100ja
Old 08-01-2004, 11:46 PM   #13

Default the skinny

Ok... Did a search for dylan dogg and came up with this thread... Decided to join and let you guys know what's up. First of all, my names mike and I am from the states, but live in italy. I buy and sell american comics, but my girlfriend collects dylan dogg, so I know a bit about it.
Dylan dogg was released in ENGLISH under darkhorse comics. I believe it lasted about 6 issues or so and then was canceled.... Ummm... ok, so I guess I didn't offer too much information, but hey, I tried...

I am currently working on my own comic, and would love to get in touch with the creator of dylan dogg for some collaboration. Hopefully I am able to track him down... Any other comic questions feel free to ask. spam rocks!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
Fulci lives

Two other Italian comics are being made in to games: Diabolik and Julia.
I hope they make one of Dylan Dog, and include a reference to Dellamorte Dellamore. I LOVE that film.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan View Post
Two other Italian comics are being made in to games: Diabolik and Julia.
I hope they make one of Dylan Dog, and include a reference to Dellamorte Dellamore. I LOVE that film.

Hello,
I'm writing from Artematica's office

I confirm JULIA and DIABOLIK as new adventures based on Italian comics brands (Diabolik is a film/cartoon brand too).
You can see DIABOLIK shots and trailer in the gallery area of www.artematica.com

Furthermore,
We're planning an original newsletter where you can find this kind of infos, as well as dev diary, unpublished shots, and other amazing stuff!
In short time we'll update our site to let people to subscribe to the English newsletter version (currently you can subscribe just to Italian version).

Kind regards,

Riccardo

www.artematica.com
Old 01-26-2007, 01:15 AM   #16
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan View Post
Dellamorte Dellamore. I LOVE that film.

Agreed! I'd give my life to be dead. Now this is something I'd like to have as a game. I have NO clue how that movie is connected to any comics, though. Doesn't matter.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:59 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo Cangini View Post
Hello,
I'm writing from Artematica's office

I confirm JULIA and DIABOLIK as new adventures based on Italian comics brands (Diabolik is a film/cartoon brand too).
You can see DIABOLIK shots and trailer in the gallery area of www.artematica.com

Furthermore,
We're planning an original newsletter where you can find this kind of infos, as well as dev diary, unpublished shots, and other amazing stuff!
In short time we'll update our site to let people to subscribe to the English newsletter version (currently you can subscribe just to Italian version).

Kind regards,

Riccardo

www.artematica.com
Welcome Riccardo and thanks for the info!
Old 01-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #18
Ghettobob22

Theres a cartoon series here in the States called Martin Mystery loosely based on the comics, emphasis on loosely:

Quote:
The series reimagines the title character Martin Mystery and his step-sister (his father married her mother) Diana Lombard as 16-year-olds attending Torrington Academy, a high school in Sherbrooke, Quebec. They work for the covert organization, "The Center", which secretly protects the people of Earth from extraterrestrial and supernatural threats.
(Wikipedia)

Old 01-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #19
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Agreed! I'd give my life to be dead. Now this is something I'd like to have as a game. I have NO clue how that movie is connected to any comics, though. Doesn't matter.
I read somewhere that the movie Dellamorte Dellamore was based on the comic Dylan Dog. Unfortunately i've never read the comic so i can't say if it's true or not.

"gnhg"
Old 01-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #20
Super Moderator

I'm quite intrigued with Julia. She sounds like a very cool character (I haven't read the comic so I don't know a lot about her).

Will you be using the same engine (and graphics) for Julia as you did for Martin Mystere and Belief and Betrayal?