You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Runaway 2 announced

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 06:27 AM   #1
Chicken with a bite

Default Runaway 2 announced

Well, it had been announced unofficially already, but now Pendulo Studios have released three screenshots.

http://www.gamershell.com/news_BRunaway2BUnveiled.shtml

Old 05-25-2004, 06:31 AM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

Hmm, no sign of the bimbo, but a very intriguing sidekick in one of those.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:25 AM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

The background art looks beautiful, like in the first one
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:57 AM   #4
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Hmm, no sign of the bimbo, but a very intriguing sidekick in one of those.
I hope you're not refering to the surfer dude. As far as the girl working on the apparently archlogical dig, I personally hesitate to consider her a sidekick just yet. I mean, I don't even think that other guy is Brian.

Also, I'd have no problems with Gina returning, just as long as they made an effort to give her more than a tag-along role. I mean, in the first Broken Sword Nico wasn't much better than Gina, except Nico's lines were slightly less painful to hear.

Still overall, fantastic views and unless this turns out to be a global world tour, I think we can expect to be localized around South America.

Sky Warrior Bob
PS - Where are Piranas located? I think its South America, but I suppose it could be somewhere in Africa. All I know its one & not the other.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:35 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

Hey, I could care less if that's Brian, unless he's developed a personality recently, too. I suspect it probably IS him, though, all duded up. But if they're going to have recurring characters, I just hope to see the techie blonde more in the second game.

Gina might have been all right if she DID tag along, but she was too busy getting lost or falling down holes, wasn't she?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
Mostly absent

Somehow I get a feeling that it's in Central America or the northernmost part of South America. All those HummVee's give me that feeling, because many countries in that area are more or less controlled by the military. Just a thought.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #7
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Hey, I could care less if that's Brian, unless he's developed a personality recently, too. I suspect it probably IS him, though, all duded up. But if they're going to have recurring characters, I just hope to see the techie blonde more in the second game.
But in the other pictures, in which it clearly is Brian, and Brian doesn't look much different than Runaway 1. In that picture, the guy in question, has hair that looks on the black side, as well as having sideburns that Brian doesn't have. Plus, it could be a trick of the lighting, but I think he's got a 5 O'Clock shadow.

Also, maybe I'm too forgiving of Runaway, but for me, the only real problem I have with Runaway 1 is the dialogue, and I write that off to translation issues. I mean, I find the puzzles & pixel hunting no more annoying than that of Sam & Max, and at least graphically, I'm very impressed.

So overall, I'm very looking forward to Runaway 2:Judgement Day.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 05-25-2004, 12:40 PM   #8
lemonhead11

This is exciting, I enjoyed Runaway and I like games with a tropical setting so this should be a real treat.

Quote:
PS - Where are Piranas located? I think its South America, but I suppose it could be somewhere in Africa. All I know its one & not the other.
It's South America.

Old 05-25-2004, 12:47 PM   #9
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

By the looks of it there will be a new hero, probably some surfer dude, who will - while scooba diving(one of the first concept art, posted while ago) - discover 'something' and by doing so, will step on a foot of someone like... military. And so he has to run, and while doing so, discover, why they want him dead,... like C3PO would say: "Here we go again"

Damn i'm smart

Last edited by VoodooFX; 05-25-2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:15 PM   #10
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead11

It's South America.
Exactly! Piranhas live in South America, in Amazon river to be precise,how James Cameron managed to place them in sea water is beyond my comprehension
Old 05-26-2004, 12:13 AM   #11
Under pressure.

The screenshots look crisp and clean like in the first game. I hope they spiced up their encoding algorithms for the cut-scene videos.

--Erwin
Old 05-26-2004, 01:22 AM   #12
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Warrior Bob
Also, maybe I'm too forgiving of Runaway, but for me, the only real problem I have with Runaway 1 is the dialogue, and I write that off to translation issues. I mean, I find the puzzles & pixel hunting no more annoying than that of Sam & Max, and at least graphically, I'm very impressed.

So overall, I'm very looking forward to Runaway 2:Judgement Day.

Sky Warrior Bob
I had not that much of a problem with pixel hunting or the puzzles or even the dialog. The big problem with the game is that Brian and Gina are the two most uninteresting characters in the whole of adventure game history.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 05-26-2004, 01:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
The screenshots look crisp and clean like in the first game. I hope they spiced up their encoding algorithms for the cut-scene videos.

--Erwin
I hope they ditch the "no animation while talking" & "lips move independantly from body" as well... I honestly don't care if the lip syncing is off while converting to english or other languages... I would rather it looked natural.

And yes, I hope they don't do cheap "gina is never mobile except in the cut scenes" stuff. Those were really my only complaints with 1, I enjoyed it and am looking forward to this one.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:22 AM   #14
pain is love

It really looks great, just like the first one did! And I believe that the guy is Brian, except he's probably like the cool dude now ( ).
Maybe he ditched physics altogether!

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-26-2004, 02:44 AM   #15

Runaway is one of the very last commercial "traditional adventure games". It's 2D, it's point-and-click, and it has inventory-based puzzles (instead of mechanical/slider/myst-like puzzles).

I'm more excited with Runaway 2 than Dreamfall or Farenheit But then again, I'm a minority here.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:48 AM   #16
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
I had not that much of a problem with pixel hunting or the puzzles or even the dialog. The big problem with the game is that Brian and Gina are the two most uninteresting characters in the whole of adventure game history.
Actually, I think that's entirely BECAUSE of their dialogue. The Broken Sword series is a real good comparison. I mean, you take away George's fun & unique take on things, and aside from a few points, the game would get really tedious. Plus, in the first game, I could personally do without Nico entirely, as she's not all that interesting, and merely serves a a 'Hot' girl.

Brian's dialogue is not interesting, but is that because he just isn't or because little jokes & comments he makes aren't being translated correctly. I mean, there's translating just to the extent of understanding what's going on, and then there's translating to the extent of trying to convey the emotion of situation.

But then, I admit I'm giving Runaway the benefit of the doubt. It'd really help if we had the opinion of somebody who has played both the untranslated version & the translated version (I think it originally was in Spanish), and give an opinion.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 05-26-2004, 02:51 AM   #17
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
Indeed. These characters don't have any depth at all, and also lack motivation as why they're doing the things they're doing.

--Erwin
Old 05-26-2004, 03:58 AM   #18
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Warrior Bob
Actually, I think that's entirely BECAUSE of their dialogue. The Broken Sword series is a real good comparison. I mean, you take away George's fun & unique take on things, and aside from a few points, the game would get really tedious. Plus, in the first game, I could personally do without Nico entirely, as she's not all that interesting, and merely serves a a 'Hot' girl.
There are a whole lot that is much better in BS1 than in Runaway. For example, you do research into historical fact. There is a story that you get involved in and Nico does get a rather much bigger role than Gina ever had (though Nico's part in BS1 isn't very big) and you get interesting information about her (ask the woman outside her door ) and she feels like a person, something which Gina never does. Gina's only feature is a pair of boobs.[/quote]

Quote:
Brian's dialogue is not interesting, but is that because he just isn't
Yes it is. Brian's only feature is that he can only see Gina's boobs.
Quote:
or because little jokes & comments he makes aren't being translated correctly. I mean, there's translating just to the extent of understanding what's going on, and then there's translating to the extent of trying to convey the emotion of situation.
I didn't find the translating that horrible (I haven't played in the original language, but anyway). My guess is that there never were much to translate from the beginning.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 05-26-2004, 04:18 AM   #19
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX
Exactly! Piranhas live in South America, in Amazon river to be precise,how James Cameron managed to place them in sea water is beyond my comprehension
If you are refering to a movie he may or may not have done (I wouldn't know ), that featured piranhas in salt water, I believe that might be because piranhas probably live in the Amazon river delta, which is a mix of sweet ( ) and salty water. I'm not sure about fish that live in such environments, but I think they can go either way. (Man, I'm smart! )

BTW the sideburn guy looks kinda like Bryan.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 05-26-2004, 11:15 AM   #20
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Second Runaway? But it was announced long ago, wasn't it? Or were it just rumours?