You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Runaway 2 announced

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2004, 07:53 PM   #81

Well it appears I learned my English through watching the bbc when I was young. My parents had no explanation as to why I'd rather watch something I was beginning to understand, instead of Dutch kids programmes. Anyhow I *really* can't stand Dutch localized games let alone dubbed movies (me wants lips to sync real good ). I suppose we should be lucky that only Disney/kid's movies get dubbed here (compared to say France or Germany where EVERY FRICKING MOVIE GETS DUBBED AHhh). If it were up to me I'd even ban subtitling alltogether (It does take 20% off the screen you know!). The past few years more and more games get localized though, and 6 months ago I bought the Dutch version of Black Mirror by mistake, totally unaware that games were getting localized Luckily only the menu (and subtitles?) were Dutch but it did gave me a good scare since I had ripped the box open by accident and could not return it.

Someone in this topic argued that hearing dialogue in your native language makes sure you catch every bit (or something along those lines). I'm not so sure, see it this way - If the original script/whatever is written in for example English, then what makes you so sure the translators would translate it so well, that you'd have the exact same experience watching it as a brit would? In my experience, translators lack overall versatility these days. Subtitling here's always been very bad (oh boy do I like to criticise subtitles) since all Dutch translators seem to be grumpy and demented 70-year old men translating strictly by their dictionaries (which must be at least twice their age). Luckily though, as a result of that, no one bothers to read the stupid white text and look proudly past it, I think/hope.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:28 AM   #82
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

If you've read this thread, jjacob, you would see that the argument is (mostly) about games where the original language is not English, but something else (i.e. Spanish, since it's Runaway we're discussing). The English version is also translated so the argument that you lose something in the translation is null and void since both the English and the Dutch version is translated.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony