You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Runaway 2 announced

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2004, 08:44 AM   #41
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloDiablo
Neither have I.

I refused to buy it when it came out in the Netherlands because it had been localised (Dutch menu, Dutch inventory-items, Dutch subtitles). I hate that. I admit that Dutch voices are even worse, but I would rather go without the game than have to play it partially in Dutch.
But that is the way to do localised versions. Original language for the voices and the translated language as subtitles. Even better if they offer all different languages as subtitles, so you can choose what language you want the subtitles in. What I don't understand, though, is why they had English voices when the original language is Spanish.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 05-28-2004, 10:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannar85
Again, no. Have you looked at Sushi? She has her hair upwards.. Like Marge in The Simpsons. Sushi is also a drag-up queen. Also, their skin color is different. You see? It's not Sushi...
That one was called Lula, the basketball guy! I mean Sushi, the little techno girl.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:00 AM   #43
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniele
That one was called Lula, the basketball guy! I mean Sushi, the little techno girl.
Aaaah.. that technology freak? Wild west?
Reallly??

Sure that's her?

Aaah.. It's her!

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 05-28-2004, 01:27 PM   #44
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Seriously, is Pendulo Studio even making this game?
The site only has the contest thing... Are they involved in this game at all?
I wouldn't be surprised if a German studio is developing this game with Pendulo Sutdio's permission...
And Spain is the last to know about this kind of stuff too! (The Spanish adventure forums don't even talk about it!) Suspicious...
If they just improve the lip movement, it will be enough for me...
I find it ironic (or moronic), that Spain with its decent group of adventure gamers, treats there home-made ones like this...
The Western is so buggy here its unplayable, and we don't get The 3 Skulls as an extra, while the rest of the world does!
The collector's edition of Runaway was not released here either!
What will they do to us this time? I don't even want to think about it....
Old 05-29-2004, 03:36 AM   #45
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Pendulo is making the game. They just haven't talked about it a lot.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:37 AM   #46
Knowledgeable

EDIT: This was in re a post of Sky Warrior Bob, that he has deleted.

What exactly in my post is it your opposing? I said precisely that the original language is Spanish. The correct way to do the Runaway localisations (i.e. non-Spanish versions) would be to have Spanish voices and subtitles in all other languages.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony

Last edited by ragnar; 05-29-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:14 AM   #47
Hopeful skeptic

Language and subtitles are a matter of preference, but I'd much rather play a game where the language suits the setting. Runaway takes place in the US, so it's natural that the characters speak English. I suspect that WAS the developer's intention, even if it isn't their native language.

BTW, it bugged me that the same actress played Gina, Sushi, the fortune teller, etc. Different accents, same voice. There weren't THAT many speaking parts!
Old 05-30-2004, 02:04 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune

Seriously, is Pendulo Studio even making this game?
The site only has the contest thing... Are they involved in this game at all?
I wouldn't be surprised if a German studio is developing this game with Pendulo Sutdio's permission...
And Spain is the last to know about this kind of stuff too! (The Spanish adventure forums don't even talk about it!) Suspicious...
If they just improve the lip movement, it will be enough for me...
I find it ironic (or moronic), that Spain with its decent group of adventure gamers, treats there home-made ones like this...
The Western is so buggy here its unplayable, and we don't get The 3 Skulls as an extra, while the rest of the world does!
The collector's edition of Runaway was not released here either!
What will they do to us this time? I don't even want to think about it....
I think these editions have nothing to do with the developers but with the publishers, and as far as I know those two Spanish companies have different publishers in each country, so it's not a surprise that each country gets a different edition.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:01 AM   #49
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
EDIT: This was in re a post of Sky Warrior Bob, that he has deleted.

What exactly in my post is it your opposing? I said precisely that the original language is Spanish. The correct way to do the Runaway localisations (i.e. non-Spanish versions) would be to have Spanish voices and subtitles in all other languages.
I think though, more europeans speak english than spanish? So offering the english version of the voices makes more sense from that point of view. I don't think it's about going for the original voice over, just one that most people will be able to understand with localised text.

The correct way to do any localisation is surely to make it as accessible to the audience as possible, and not necessairly go for a version closest to how the game was originaly envisioned (as nice as that would be from a creative viewpoint).
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 05-30-2004, 08:17 AM   #50
Knowledgeable

I disagree with you. Either I get the original language (which here happens to be Spanish) with localized subtitles or I get a fully localized (with localized voices). Having a version with English voice and Swedish subtitles would be totally ridiculous. And it makes sense to include all localised subtitles in all versions as to maximize the available choice for the users (including all localised voices would be difficult from a space-perspective).

On a side note I really hope that they translated all the localised version from the source (Spanish) and not first translate to English and the from English to all other localised versions. That would also be rather stupid.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 05-30-2004, 09:50 AM   #51
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Warrior Bob
I hope you're not refering to the surfer dude.
Exactly, he isn't that good looking.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:20 PM   #52
Under pressure.

I played the game with English voices and Dutch subtitles, dialogue options and menu's and that's one of the reasons I still haven't finished the game.

It just doesn't play right when a character asks you a question in English and you have to respond by selecting an answer in Dutch.

--Erwin
Old 06-01-2004, 07:10 AM   #53
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
I played the game with English voices and Dutch subtitles, dialogue options and menu's and that's one of the reasons I still haven't finished the game.

It just doesn't play right when a character asks you a question in English and you have to respond by selecting an answer in Dutch.

--Erwin
How come? I don't see why that should be bothersome? Is Holland one of those countries where every movie and tv show get dubbed into the native language? I really, really, dislike dubbed movies.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 06-01-2004, 09:24 AM   #54
Under pressure.

Quote:
How come? I don't see why that should be bothersome? Is Holland one of those countries where every movie and tv show get dubbed into the native language? I really, really, dislike dubbed movies.
No, on the contrary. Everything's got subtitles. Thank heavens!

I believe our neighbour, Germany, is quite used to dubbing their movies and TV programmes.

--Erwin
Old 06-02-2004, 03:26 AM   #55
Knowledgeable

Quote:
No, on the contrary. Everything's got subtitles. Thank heavens!

I believe our neighbour, Germany, is quite used to dubbing their movies and TV programmes.

--Erwin
Good for you then. But I still don't understand how the subtitles being in Dutch (including choosing what to reply) can be bothersome if you're used to subtitles and voices being different?

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 06-02-2004, 05:25 AM   #56
Under pressure.

Quote:
Good for you then. But I still don't understand how the subtitles being in Dutch (including choosing what to reply) can be bothersome if you're used to subtitles and voices being different?
I prefer everything to be English. I wouldn't mind if they'd take away the subtitles in movies and on TV either. Reading the lines is distracting, actually. There's quite a lot of information you're missing too. Not only because of lazy translation, also expression on people's faces and such.

--Erwin
Old 06-02-2004, 05:29 AM   #57
Knowledgeable

Quote:
I prefer everything to be English. I wouldn't mind if they'd take away the subtitles in movies and on TV either. Reading the lines is distracting, actually. There's quite a lot of information you're missing too. Not only because of lazy translation, also expression on people's faces and such.

--Erwin
You prefer everything to be in English, even when the original language isn't English? Why?

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 06-02-2004, 05:41 AM   #58

I can see why the subtitles being in Dutch and the speech being in English can be annoying, especially when the available dialogue lines are in Dutch as well. That would be like two people having a conversation in two different languages.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:55 AM   #59
Knowledgeable

If you don't read the subtitles, then I can understand that it is annoying, yes, but not otherwise.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 06-02-2004, 08:58 AM   #60
Under pressure.

Quote:
If you don't read the subtitles, then I can understand that it is annoying, yes, but not otherwise.
I don't read the subtitles.

Quote:
You prefer everything to be in English, even when the original language isn't English? Why?
Noooo... I prefer English movies and programmes without Dutch subtitles because I don't need them and they're distracting. I don't like dubbing. So if a movie or programme is in, say Spanish, I would obviously prefer subtitles.

--Erwin