You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2004, 08:33 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default GK3's acting

Now I bet somebody has already talked about this, but still, here goes.

Everywhere I go, in almost every review I see, everyone keeps complaining about the acting (and sometimes sounds overall) in GK3, especially Tim Curry's. I'm totally amazed by this, because I've always thought that all the actors do an amazing job, especially Tim Curry. It's always said that he overdoes his replics, but I think that makes him so great. It fits Gabriel's character perfectly and makes it better as a whole. Also it makes the replics humoristic, wich is still a small, but in my opinion, important part of GK. Theonly one that in my opinion that I remember that could still make her acting a bit better is Grace's actress, but even she is great.

So what do you think? Why does every critic blame it for having bad acting, or is it just because every critic is a minion of the download sites (wich are hell), or am I one in a small minority who thinks this way?
Old 05-22-2004, 08:55 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Amen!

I myself love the way Curry portrayed Gabriel. I'm sure GK1 and GK3 would only be half as good with a normal, or ordinary, voice.

The rest of the acting in GK3 is also superb, even the smaller roles are done nicely, which wasn't always the case in GK1.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #3

I, too, have enjoyed Tim Curry's portrayal of Gabriel. It is over the top, but then again, Tim Curry's acting style is very over the top and theatrical. Tim Curry's version of Gabriel makes it more believable than he is a seedy womanizer than Dean Erickson's; on the other hand, Dean Erickson plays the part more realistically.

I think part of the Tim Curry bashing depends on which Gabriel game you played first-- if GK 2 was the first game in the series that you played, Tim Curry's take on GK would seem a bit jarring!
Old 05-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
delusions of adequacy

I hated Curry as Gabriel ever since the original. Right after I figured out how to turn off the narrator's voice I was hunting high and low for the checkbox to put a sock in Curry's mouth for the duration too.

I didn't think much of Dean in GK2 but that had more to do with his habit of always looking like he was trying pass an enormous shit during every line than a bad voice (check out the non-interlace videos in GK2 thread for a perfect example). Even the best of actors would have trouble with some of what Jensen passes off as dialogue.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
guybrush_guy

i'm not sure how i feal about the voice of tim curry, i dont think the voice went with the charicture. it just did'nt look or soud right, but other then that, it was the only thing that realy botherd me. i thought the voice acting was done really done well.

Old 05-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #6
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

I also think that Tim Curry did a good job on the acting, and all the others aswell. Overall, GK3 is the best game ever made, and ever to be made(of course, if there is no GK4).
Old 05-22-2004, 01:21 PM   #7
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

The acting was in any case better in GK3 than in GK1, but I guess that doesn't say very much.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 05-22-2004, 01:30 PM   #8
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I love all the voiceacting in GK1&GK3, except I would've wanted Hamill to reprise his Mosely role.

I really can't understand how someone could not like Curry's voice as Gabe.

But I guess it possible somehow
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:36 PM   #9
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

People who know how New Orleans dialect should sound usually complains about Curry, but people who don't know that, don't complain about Curry either. That's the way I've understood it at least.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 05-22-2004, 02:21 PM   #10

I think the voice acting is perfect in this game. It was decent in GK1, but completely awesome in GK3.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:44 PM   #11
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Tim Currys an englishman doing an american accent. I'd just like to say that now you know how bad an american doing an english accent sounds to english people To me Tim Currys accent sounded fine, and thats probably because I have no idea of the subtleties of the dialect, and I'm sure that to many americans a fake english accent sounds just as genuine as Tim Currys southern drawl did to me.

Lets seperate the accent from the acting; his voice acting was superb imo. Just remember how bad it can get; The Watchmaker for example - some people sound like they were just dragged off the pavement outside the studio/shack in which it was recorded. Whatever the accent, Tim managed to put across the emotion in the dialogue and make us feel Gabriel was a genuine character and not just some guy who couldn't be arsed learning his lines before he got into the studio. I have to give him kudos for that.

And the rest of the game; it was perfectly cast with every character's voice perfect for the role. Again perhaps some of the accents are not so great; for example a number of the french accents sounded to me like they were directly taken out of 'Allo 'Allo

Oh and on accents, I was suprised at Prince James' accent. I'd have thought he'd either have a Scottish accent being scottish "royalty", or a french accent considering the Stewarts have lived in "exile" in France for centuries. Instead he had a rather good Queen's English accent; if I recall correctly?
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 05-22-2004, 06:35 PM   #12

I always thought that Tim Curry and all the actors in the GK games did a brilliant job.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 05-22-2004, 08:17 PM   #13
some may call me tofu

Send a message via AIM to guybrush122

I absolutely love almost every thing that Tim Curry has done in the entertainment world, but his work in GK1 and GK3 is terrible. Ear lobe shattering. I can't STAND it. I had to mute the voice in GK1 just to finish the game (I waited a while before muting just because I wanted to hear Mark Hammel's portrayal of a dectetive...but after that...)

Tim Curry is a good actor, and excellent on camera...but maybe it's just that he's bad at accents because his Gabriel made me nauseous. Gabriel, in my mind, should have sounded younger, and his voice less deep. Curry also hangs on a lot of words that end in vowels, trying to make the southern accent sound natural and real, but only succeeds in the repititive beating of my head against the keyboard.

Yikes, I can't DEAL...
Old 05-24-2004, 04:37 AM   #14

Tim Curry never bothered me, even though I think he did a better job on GK1 compared to GK3. What has ALWAYS bothered me is Grace. In GK1 she was a much more interesting character with great lines and a sense of self-security that was missing from the other games. The actress who portrayed her on GK2 is laughable bad, and in GK3 she was still a "damsel-in-distress". Granted, the dialogue is more to blame than the actors, but I still believe they could have done a much better job.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:19 AM   #15
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Well in GK1 the actress who portrayed Grace was Leah Remini

She a talented actress, and it's sad that she wasn't in GK3, perhaps she was too expensive?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:20 AM   #16

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Gee, why didn't they ask her for GK2? :eek:
Old 05-24-2004, 08:12 AM   #17

Maybe they didn't put Leah Remini in GK 2 because she wasn't Asian-American.

I have to agree with Leonardi that the portrayal of Grace was the best in the original game, although I didn't have a problem with the actress who voiced Grace in GK 3. Aside from the dialogue, part of what made Grace unappealing in GK 2 is the gameplay: most of her chapters consisted of going from museum to museum reading about German history tidbits. Granted, I found this interesting, but less invovling than Gabe's chapters.

Kolzig, as for why Mark Hamill didn't reprise his role as Mosley for GK 3, the answer was money. I e-mailed Jane Jensen about this a few years ago and she explained that Mark Hamill wanted too much money for the part, so they went with Billy West instead. Billy West has done lots of voice-over work, most notably the part of Fry in Futurama and the part of Stimpy in the original Nickelodeon episodes [i]Ren and Stimpy[i]. I thought West did a good job doing a sound-alike of Hamill's portrayal of Mosely.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:06 AM   #18
Banned User

Billy West was not the voice of Mosely in GK3. West played Emilio, whereas Mosely's voice was provided by David Thomas.

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 05-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #19

Well, if you complain about English acting in Gabriel Knight 3 I think you haven't seen the terrible italian version starring Giorgio Melazzi... I've stopped playing the game just for him!
Old 05-31-2004, 07:34 AM   #20
Rookie Cop

I've always liked the voice acting in GK1+3.
3 especially seemed great to me, along with the excellent musical soundtrack.

I'd love to get that CD soundtrack which was in the boxset.