You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Revolution Downsizing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
Revolution Fanatic

Default Revolution Downsizing

I dunno if it's a sad or good day.
Our Beloved Revolution have announced job cuts to a core design team, they are changing direction and alot of people have been let go.
"Pish tosh, What evidence is there to your claims?"
www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=104743

Last edited by theneb; 05-16-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:48 PM   #2

Damn...

Hm, I think maybe I should give up trying to get a student-placement there... If they don't have room for the core team, it's doubtful they'll want to take on anyone new.

I suppose it fits into the trend of games becoming more like Hollywood where things just get outsourced left and right and freelancers are hired where needed. If that trend continues maybe one day there won't even be development houses anymore. Just lots and lots of freelancers going from project to project and producers and directors stringing it all together.

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 05-16-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
Revolution Fanatic

BTW the bad luck goes Diamond's way (Steve Ince), he was the producer, shows how far it's gone.
Well it's a simple fact that the gaming industry is the biggest money making business but hardly any of that reach's the develpours. So everyone who ripped Revolution off and downloaded BS3 can feel very guilty now.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:43 PM   #4

Art director Steven Gallagher said he was leaving as well... I wonder who is actually staying.

I also wonder what effect this will have on BASS2... partial outsourcing?
Old 05-16-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

I don't think we'll be seing BASS2 anytime soon, if at all. Damn, damn!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:31 AM   #6
Hopeful skeptic

Aww, man, this blows major chunkage! There's nothing good about this news except it isn't as bad as it COULD be.

Was that just speculation about Steve Ince? I didn't read any names anywhere. He certainly has the skills to be part of Rev's new direction, just not producing anymore.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:47 AM   #7
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Thats very sad news. I feel very sorry for all those who have lost their jobs, its very sad news and totally undeserved. I'm sure they will find work elsewhere in the industry, specially as it is generally doing quite well at the moment. But I can imagine it's a very hard time for them all

Does this mean that rev are no longer going to make games any more, and instead concentrate on coming up with game ideas, or does it mean they are going to make games but not the engines etc?
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:51 AM   #8
Burning

Thankfully BASS2 is not in Hype-o-Meter, tired of watching cancelled games in it. Hope it survives.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:31 AM   #9
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Naveed, one of these days, you and i will have to come up with solution regarding our avatars

Take care, bye bye!
Old 05-17-2004, 11:34 AM   #10

Default The industry's doing well...

...But small indies aren't. It's just too costly do make current gen games as an independent developer unless you're basically doing 1st party development for someone like Microsoft or Sony, and even then....

The number of small UK indies that folded last year is unreal - definitely more than 15, and that was just the higher profile ones I heard of.

The industry does need more security though - I've been made redundant twice since leaving uni 4 years ago, and spent approximately 25% of my time working on stuff that never saw the light of day. The horrible thing is that both those figures are actually quite *good* for working for smaller companies :-|

I'm working for a larger developer/publisher now, so things are looking more secure, but I sincerely hope small developers can find a way to change their business model to make it financially viable in todays market - I'd hate to see the whole UK industry conglomerate into 3-4 massive companies...

Jon
Old 05-17-2004, 11:40 AM   #11
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Was that just speculation about Steve Ince? I didn't read any names anywhere. He certainly has the skills to be part of Rev's new direction, just not producing anymore.
Thank you. That's kind of you to say.

Not speculation I'm afraid. Check out my blog for more details, but I'm basically looking for new work. Either a writer/designer position within another company or freelance.

And I've got a book about to come out - a collection of my comic strips.

Swings and roundabouts.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:33 PM   #12

I really hope this doesn't affect BASS2. If it does, I'm not sure if I'll take future adventure game announcements seriously anymore.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:34 PM   #13
Hopeful skeptic

Dammit!! $^*&@#$

I'm sure you'll land on your feet, Steve. Great to hear about the comic collection. All I can say is thanks for the great gaming, and for keeping in touch with the community.

But... dammit!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 01:25 PM   #14
I'm really Cookin'

Steve,

I am so surprised you were let go that I don't know what to say. You are a very talented individual, and I wish you the best of luck finding alternate work!

Almost a year ago now, I and the whole crew where I worked punched in to start the week and were uncerimoniously informed that our hourly pay rates were all plummeting to minimum wage. I finished up my shift and quit (as many of my co-workers did) that very day. Two days later I found out I was pregnant! What timing, huh?

Looking back, though, I can't believe what a great thing it was. I started focusing more on freelance writing from home, because I knew I wouldn't want to leave my newborn son in daycare and I had dreamed of making a living at writing since I was 9 anyway. (The baby and the former job pay cut just gave me the impetus to finally do it!) Today I don't even think about working outside the home. (I just turned in another article today as a matter of fact.) The minute I gave my editor a heads-up about quitting my other job, he began giving me more work anyway. Once you spread the word about your availability, I'll bet something as good or better than what you had will come your way.

My hubby was the victim of a layoff a year and a half ago, and now he has less stress and more money than before and was only out of work for two months. Don't underestimate the power of Professional Headhunters, either-- that's how my hubby found his current job. Here anyway they don't charge you for their services but rather charge the employer, so it only costs you the time it takes to talk to them. They often know of jobs that aren't listed anywhere publicly, and employers like the fact that the headhunters do all the pre-screening and reference-checking. It saves them oodles of time and they're only dealing with interviews for the better candidates from the start, instead of getting bombarded with everybody under the sun from newspaper ads.

Also, you could try posting your resume on monster.com-- that's how the headhunter found my husband. People from all over see internet job posts, and monster is a huge site. I'm sure you're familiar with the trade magazines and probably have already put info there, but how about the IGDA's site? Is that worth posting on?

Jeez, I'm still in shock. Broken Sword 3 ranked at the highest grade I've ever given a game for CGW! Doh! My editor must have fallen over when he saw that, hee hee. Hey, I'm old and otherwise kinda crabby, what can I say?

Okay, best of luck, and I hope something comes along for you pronto....

-Denice Cook
a.k.a. Skinny
Old 05-17-2004, 01:35 PM   #15
merely human

((((( Steve )))))

Chin up, fellow! I know exactly how it feels, as I've been in that awkward position myself more than once. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-17-2004, 01:37 PM   #16
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Good luck, Steve, in whatever you go on to do.

Though this does leave me wondering what sort of a state Revolution are now left in, and what the effect of this downsizing will be on their products. Will Revolution be going back to making 2D games in order to save money? Will they look at other forms of games, pulling out of the adventure market altogether? Will they try and market products online, rather than dealing through publishers.

All pure conjecture. It does, however, leave me feeling uneasy over what will become of BASS 2, and indeed what will become of Revolution. With LucasArts turning their backs on adventures (for now), I desperately hope that we don't lose Revolution as well. Oh, and they're British, so I've got to still love them...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #17

Best of luck to you, Steve, and everyone else on the team. You've created some excellent games in the past, and I'm sure you will continue the tradition.

Quote:
Though this does leave me wondering what sort of a state Revolution are now left in, and what the effect of this downsizing will be on their products. Will Revolution be going back to making 2D games in order to save money? Will they look at other forms of games, pulling out of the adventure market altogether? Will they try and market products online, rather than dealing through publishers.
They've pullled out of production altogether, apparently. This pretty much means they won't be creating any games on their own in the foreseeable future.

By the sound of it, I think they might be turning into something like this...
Old 05-17-2004, 03:54 PM   #18
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

I say all us AGers chip in a few grand each, and hire Steve to make THE BEST ADVENTURE EVAR!! (!!111!!). Admittedly it'd be hard work for one man to make a game all on his own, but House of Tales almost managed it... ¬_¬
Old 05-17-2004, 03:56 PM   #19
Babbling as Usual

My heart just aches at this news. Steve and the rest who are now looking for jobs, you guys at Revolution provided many of us with some fond gaming experiences that we'll never forget. I hope you do fantastic with your new workplaces.

<sigh>

Oh, and Steve, I love your blog. Don't think that people don't read it!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:37 AM   #20
Writer-Designer

Many, many thanks for all your kind comments, thoughts and words of encouragement. It does my heart good.

Skinny - some good advice, there, thanks.

AGA - Nice thought. If only it were that simple...