You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #21
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
i bought post mortum and installed it. that's as far as i got, not sure if it's worth playing.
is it?
Honestly, NO .

And i was one of the first people to buy it but it s a major disappointment .

Simply boring and uneffective, the gameplay is awful, the puzzles are and overall it s a waste of time .

On another note i have higher hopes for Still Life, i can t believe what i ve just seen (the pic with "Chicago s/m club april 2004 wow it s gonna be really for adults ) .

Also, the lady s painting is really beautiful .

Such details for an object in the game is just pure arty and surprising
Old 05-17-2004, 04:19 PM   #22
Jumping peanut on a stick

Looking good so far
Quote:
Get a 'Still' Life: I'm looking forward to the holiday release of Microids' "Still Life," a point-and-click adventure where you track down a serial killer. Microids produced the exquisitely beautiful "Syberia" and "Syberia 2" adventures, and the "Still Life" demo looks like a highly cinematic homage to the hit thriller "Seven."
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116117,00.asp
Old 05-17-2004, 07:29 PM   #23
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor
The guy is totally right about the Seven s reminiscence .

Just look at the red bars on each screen (at the bottom right) : it s exactly like on the Seven s poster
Old 05-17-2004, 08:16 PM   #24

Default A new game from Microirds...Yippee!.

Well, after spending two weeks away from my computer (the first week was on vacation in Florida with my family, the second week because I was sick), I am now back at the adventure gamers community forum, and I must say it feels very good to be back.

Anyway, Still Life looks to be very intriguing. I saw the very short teaser trailer on the official site yesterday, and it had a creepy look to it. I think the best thing about the game is that it uses the Syberia Engine. If it is used correctly, Still Life could be a very pretty game. Plus, a female character being the lead hero is a big plus in my book, especially since she is a FBI Profiler. Isn't that like being a detective in other words?. I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing some previews for this interesting game.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:53 PM   #25

If that old TV show Profiler was accurate, they piece together the profile or motive of an offender by examining the crime scenes and etc, and use it to track who's responsible.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:34 PM   #26
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
Plus, a female character being the lead hero is a big plus in my book, especially since she is a FBI Profiler. Isn't that like being a detective in other words?.
I have to disagree with u on that : i really prefer to play a male character than a female (nothing macho into that statement ladies, i love u all ) .
It s just (since i m a male) than i can identity myself far more easily to a male character than a female s one (same in a movie of course) .

I don t say it s bad to have a female as the main leader, i just would have appreciated to have the choice between a male and a female at the start of the game

Seems it s kinda "hype" to have a female as the main character those days thought (and yes there s a lot of ladies playing adventure games so i can understand that :p) .

A profiler is a dectective who is only tracking serial killers by establishing their personnality based on clues and murders they did .
Old 05-18-2004, 08:21 AM   #27
Dr Uberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthia
I don't think there are any demos already. Its too early.
Yeah, I though it was too early too, but then I read a post here about someone who was excited, installed the demo, and didn't like the game at all.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:42 PM   #28

The GameSpot preview says that the main characters last name is the same as the main character from Post Mortem. You also get to play as her grandfather.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:19 AM   #29
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

This game just gets more and more intriguing. The graphics look very good; the quality nd style of Post Mortem's but without the spinny-rotatey-3D thing going on which is good. The plot device of solving two murders in two times sounds very interesting. This has definately entered my "to follow" list...
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 05-19-2004, 10:34 AM   #30
guybrush_guy

there would happen to be a demo floating around, would there?

Old 05-19-2004, 10:36 AM   #31
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
You also get to play as her grandfather.
Wohooo I can t waaaaaaait .

I m glad we ll be playing both a male and a female character finally

Also i couldn't believe it when i ve seen the S/M s club pic, this game is for ADULTS hurrah !
Old 05-19-2004, 10:44 AM   #32
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I have to admit I'm very excited about Still Life, despite having Post Mortem's failures still firmly in my mind. It seems Still Life has a great concept (same with Post Mortem), but it has a level of execution similar to Syberia. The dialog seems to be making a lot more sense, the game looks as detailed and stylish as Syberia, and the whole game is now in a much nicer 3rd person view. Look for my full preview this friday.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
This game just gets more and more intriguing. The graphics look very good; the quality nd style of Post Mortem's but without the spinny-rotatey-3D thing going on which is good.
Exactly, that slide-show first person view was one of the reasons that turned me away from playing Post Mortem. If the demo was anything to judge by, was the game's main fault its poor (amateurish?) execution... while Still life seems to shine in that department.
Looking forward to the AG's preview.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:50 AM   #34

Even though I didn't really like Syberia, I thought the production values were pretty cool. It'll be awesome to see what Microids can do with a concept like this.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:13 AM   #35
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
I have to admit I'm very excited about Still Life, despite having Post Mortem's failures still firmly in my mind. It seems Still Life has a great concept (same with Post Mortem), but it has a level of execution similar to Syberia. The dialog seems to be making a lot more sense, the game looks as detailed and stylish as Syberia, and the whole game is now in a much nicer 3rd person view. Look for my full preview this friday.
If yours is as exciting as Fahrenheit s one, i can barely wait for your pics and words
Old 05-21-2004, 02:58 AM   #36

Awesome preview, Marek.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:09 AM   #37
soffistical

Ooooh... I get goosebumps from just seeing that little trailer. Amazing! Can't wait!
Old 05-21-2004, 03:16 AM   #38
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Shelby
If yours is as exciting as Fahrenheit s one, i can barely wait for your pics and words
Heh. Right now there's three games that completely, utterly blew me away: Facade, Fahrenheit and Dreamfall.

Still Life is in a slightly lower league, which means it's still pretty darn impressive, though it probably doesn't do anything we haven't seen in some form before.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Still Life is in a slightly lower league, which means it's still pretty darn impressive, though it probably doesn't do anything we haven't seen in some form before.
But is that a bad thing?
I do understand the genre must evolve, but i'm slowly getting a feeling some companies are just trying to invent hot water. I mean, adventure genre has already evolved years ago, with games like Silent Hill, etc.. Like it or not, those so called action-adventures are the (profitable) successors of classic adventures. To tell you the truth i preffer Silent Hill or Ico over Broken Sword 3... Because they are better at telling a story and creating atmosphere than BS3, which tries to be revolutionary, but at the same time forgets what's the essence of adventures.

I'm very excited about Dreamfall and Fahrenheit (btw, is it just me, or does the concept of this game sound awfuly similar to Virgin's Blade Runner?), but obviously for a completely different reasons than most people here.
Dreamfall is on top of my list, not because it is trying to be revolutionary, but because it's sequel to one of my favorite games and i hope it will retain the complex narrative of original (although the promise to make game shorter, to please players with short attention span, worries me a little).

As for Fahrenheit, the story sounds tremendously interesting, also i like visual style. On the other hand, i'm not sure what to think about completely opened structure of game. I like adventures for what they are: linear games, similar to movies, where you can see the whole game in one play. The concept of Fahrenheit is great on paper (and i'm sure demonstration was superb too), but the game will have to be extremely good (and rewarding), to force player to go back to game, after spending a few hours playing in wrong direction... or playing again just to see different ending.

Yet, i look to Still Life simply in hope of a good, fun (and polished) classic adventure game, with captive atmosphere and story... in good old point&click style which is one of the reasons i like this genre in the first place.

Last edited by Igor; 05-21-2004 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:00 AM   #40
Under pressure.

Couldn't agree more with Igor.

Innovation is fine and all, but I still like to play a classic kind of adventure every now and then.

--Erwin