You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dreamfall Official Website Launched

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2004, 05:01 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
I don't think/hope they'll make her gothic. She is simply a disillusioned woman, and her looks probably reflect the harsh place she lived for the past few years.
I agree. It's going to be interesting to find out what has happened since the end of The Longest Journey.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:48 AM   #62
Puss In Boots

Heh... I was so excited that I forgot to tell you one thing ... I'm really shocked that April is a playable character ! I thought that April said 'Bye-Bye' and we'll have to find out playing the leading three what happened to her...

And to be completly honest ... I wouldn't have known that this is April if I hadn't read it ... she is so, maybe, adult and, in some way sad. Can't wait till the E3 (this is first E3 I'm really waiting for )
Old 05-11-2004, 09:18 AM   #63
Burning

As appeared in Ragnar's interview at IGN
Quote:
I believe the elements that made The Longest Journey special to a lot of people were the story, the characters, the graphics, the audio - and not necessarily the gameplay, which was pretty standard point and click adventure.
I somewhat disagree with Ragnar here, if TLJ had been a role-playing game with that story, characters, graphics, and audio, I would not have played it, I hate RPGs, I only played it because it was an adventure game. But I am sure this interview was inclined towards RPG fans, Dreamfall will have more then enough for adventure gaming fans, as long as I am not 'forced' to 'block and attack, block and attack' it will be fine.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:37 AM   #64

Default oooh

to make us so hungry for it...then make us wait till fall 2005....oh the horror the horror
Old 05-11-2004, 10:16 AM   #65
Game fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveed
I somewhat disagree with Ragnar here, if TLJ had been a role-playing game with that story, characters, graphics, and audio, I would not have played it, I hate RPGs, I only played it because it was an adventure game.
I do not disagree with him at all. Some of the point and click gameplay in TLJ was quite generic, and I will support Ragnar in trying to innovate and do something fresh, at least until I see the game and can judge whether or not the new stuff works.

As a whole, adventure gaming really needs getting away from the ten year old standards. There needn't be anything wrong with point'n click, but still, trying to emulate everything about the old adventure mechanics is not the way forward.

Remember: Once, the adventure genre was constantly evolving, and popular because it gave the player more freedom than other genres. Resting at the altar of the all-powerful old-school point'n click logic is not going to bring the genre back to the cutting edge of gaming.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 AM   #66
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthia
I don't realy like that the game is announced 'action adventure' and is sipposed to have action inside. I think I'll wait till someone plays it first.
Personally I don't mind that there will be player controlled action sequences considering I'm skilled in both that and non-action puzzling. But that said, my concern is more with how well the interface will serve the player in terms of combat or evasion. They can have us do as few action scenes as possible, but if the controls and camera are anything like, say, BS3, then the game is a failure in that department. Ragnar, whatever you and your minions do, please DO NOT F#&K UP THE CONTROLS AND CAMERA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveed
As appeared in Ragnar's interview at IGN

Quote:
I believe the elements that made The Longest Journey special to a lot of people were the story, the characters, the graphics, the audio - and not necessarily the gameplay, which was pretty standard point and click adventure.
I somewhat disagree with Ragnar here, if TLJ had been a role-playing game with that story, characters, graphics, and audio, I would not have played it, I hate RPGs, I only played it because it was an adventure game. But I am sure this interview was inclined towards RPG fans, Dreamfall will have more then enough for adventure gaming fans, as long as I am not 'forced' to 'block and attack, block and attack' it will be fine.
I disagree with you to some degree, Naveed. I actually found the gameplay setup to be the most boring aspect of TLJ, despite my respecting it in terms of the entire experience geared to be traditional. The only time I experienced excitement in terms of combining narrative, action, AND puzzling was during April's scuffle with the Grippler (you remember that, don't you?). I knew she - we - weren't allowed to die, but it was still suspenseful how they set it up.

According to the interview Tornquist specified that most action sequences can be traded in for the non-action puzzle approach, with only very few parts that must be action only. Most likely has to do with narrative suspense.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-11-2004, 11:13 AM   #67
Burning

My point was about adventure part, I enjoyed Grim Fandango, and BS3 even though they were not point and click, point and click doesn't matter, but surely TLJ would not have that appeal if it would have been a point and click RPG, isn't it?
Old 05-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #68
merely human

But it was never intended to be an RPG.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-11-2004, 02:02 PM   #69
some may call me tofu

Send a message via AIM to guybrush122

On the issue of Gothicy April: overt, yet subtly attractive. It's cool because her physicality shows what drastic changes she has undergone in the first game up to Dreamfall ... sweet.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:34 PM   #70
merely human

Not only that, either. Ten years have passed since she walked away from the tower of the Balance, hence there must have been subsequent gauntlets - emotional and physical - that she survived.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:13 PM   #71
Bad Hare Day

Send a message via ICQ to Carlius Send a message via MSN to Carlius

I find it very intresting that the norwegian government is helping out financially. With a huge budget, this game will show some other lame ass companies(LEC) that adventuregames could compete with other genres.

I really must play the first game first...I'll go buy it someday
Old 05-11-2004, 09:03 PM   #72
merely human

LOL! Don't ever expect my government to ever help out. At least not in my lifetime.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:49 PM   #73

I'm really looking forward to Dreamfall. It looks scrumptious. And Kian looks hot. If there was one thing TLJ was missing it was hot guys, though I liked the bit where April admires a farm boy in Marcuria!

I definitely like the idea of April's inner changes showing in her appearance... very symbolic of how much she's changed. And the exaggerated features of the wide-eyed newcomer Zoe are equally symbolic. Excellent stuff.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:57 PM   #74
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
I'm really looking forward to Dreamfall. It looks scrumptious. And Kian looks hot. If there was one thing TLJ was missing it was hot guys, though I liked the bit where April admires a farm boy in Marcuria!
The best thing is that Ragnar said TLJ2 would have less swearing and more sex. - Although he might have been kidding.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:29 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
The best thing is that Ragnar said TLJ2 would have less swearing and more sex. - Although he might have been kidding.
I hope there are some gay characters, I enjoyed Fiona and the gay cop in TLJ, very refreshing in a game. Probably about 5% of people are gay, so it doesn't make sense that so few games have gay characters, which is presumably because either producers assume that it will "put off" the audience or they just plain don't have the guts, or are prejudiced themselves. There are games out there, but it's much less than is realistic. That was one of the things I liked about Stark in TLJ, the characters were laid back and open minded and didn't give a second thought to things like that... in that sense Stark was more of a magical world than Arcadia!!

Wow, I'm very analytical today. I hope I can keep it up for my Classics exam next month!
Old 05-12-2004, 07:43 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlius
I find it very intresting that the norwegian government is helping out financially. With a huge budget, this game will show some other lame ass companies(LEC) that adventuregames could compete with other genres.
I agree it's great they're helping, but it isn't exactly a huge sum we're talking about here. I think they're helping with about 235000 USD, and I think the total budget for the game is about 3000000 USD (note: an extra zero ).
Old 05-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #77

Any chance the E3 trailer is going to be released on the net soon?
Old 05-12-2004, 08:30 PM   #78
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
I hope there are some gay characters, I enjoyed Fiona and the gay cop in TLJ, very refreshing in a game. Probably about 5% of people are gay, so it doesn't make sense that so few games have gay characters, which is presumably because either producers assume that it will "put off" the audience or they just plain don't have the guts, or are prejudiced themselves.
Don't forget Gerry...... erm, I mean, Gerald.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:17 PM   #79
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor
I wonder what the system requirements are. Will AMD XP 2800+, Radeon 9800 Pro, 1024 MB be enough? Maybe the reader from morpheus.funcom.com knows?

i think your trying to show off your system specs (just joken with ya.) , and i do think that will be sufficient.

ps i got you beat HA!
AMD XP 3200, radeon 9800 XT 1G ram. you do have a nice system thoe. make sure you run good bencmarks on it. farcry is ausome!

Old 05-12-2004, 10:22 PM   #80
Dr Uberman

How good is Dreamfall gonna be?

W00t!1!