You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure ScummVM and Talkie's Versions ? (Inquiry!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Advie.1

Default ScummVM and Talkie's Versions ? (Inquiry!)

as far as i remember Games like DotT and StS 1&2 ...etc were released without voice acting ..

and i got my hands lately on a ScummVM collection of those classics and they were almost all with voice acting .

Please correct me if i am wrong since i am was never into replaying Games when there are 10s others out there (Old & New) waiting for me to start.

when did all those Gems get those Talkies versions,how (by their original Developers!) ?

and if so why there is no such for SQ5? or there is?

thanks.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #2

Well you remember wrong, all those games got a talkie version by the original developers (some time it was a few years after the original floppy release, such is the case with Loom and Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis).

For example I still have the original StS II talkie CD, I didn't even knew the game had a floppy release.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingsoc View Post
Well you remember wrong, all those games got a talkie version by the original developers (some time it was a few years after the original floppy release, such is the case with Loom and Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis).

For example I still have the original StS II talkie CD, I didn't even knew the game had a floppy release.
1st thanks for this answer ...
i played most of the classic on 5.1/4 and 3.1/2 floppies , yes and that explains why i knew wrong! (since i had like an adventure break off between 92-2001) due to change my location and the difficulty then to get hold of any software.

its time to make a big replay list of all those Titles , ..LooM you said.. with Voice acting!!!!
.. i should get hold of it instantly

Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Senior Automaton

From the SQ5 wiki

Quote:
Although this game came after the CD-ROM "talkie" version of Space Quest IV, it was originally released on floppy disks only (although it would later be released on a compilation CD containing the entire Space Quest series), and early plans for a talkie version of the game were scrapped. According to then-Dynamix artist Sean Murphy, this was because Dynamix was in financial trouble at the time, and they were eager to release new games instead of working on "gold versions" of already-released games.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
its time to make a big replay list of all those Titles , ..LooM you said.. with Voice acting!!!!
.. i should get hold of it instantly
I believe the talkie Loom is sold at Steam (If you have no problem using Steam), its also has upgraded VGA graphics.

The only downside is that as its was the first talkie game of Lucasarts they cut some of the dialog and the close up scenes because the voices were recorded as audio tracks and so there wasn't enough room on the CD.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Advie.1

Quote:
I believe the talkie Loom is sold at Steam (If you have no problem using Steam), its also has upgraded VGA graphics.

The only downside is that as its was the first talkie game of Lucasarts they cut some of the dialog and the close up scenes because the voices were recorded as audio tracks and so there wasn't enough room on the CD.
i already got my hands on it
but Thanks Cousin ..

Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:

Freddy Pharkas also has less dialogue in the talkie version IIRC. I'm not even sure that you can switch the CD version to text-only and see all of the dialogue, it might be cut entirely. I think that there was one joke in particular from the floppy version that I couldn't get to come up in the CD version.

That would be an interesting topic - which games would you strongly prefer the non-talkie version and vice versa?

In addition to Freddy Pharkas, King's Quest V is probably better with text - HOWEVER, the acting is so legendarily bad (no offense Josh! It's more the narrator and Cedric!) that it might be worth playing with voice for the unintentional camp value.

I recently re-played Simon the Sorcerer and might have preferred the non-talkie. I didn't think the voices were funny at all.