Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Introducing - Case Files: Death From Above (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/31075-introducing-case-files-death-above.html)

GWPGearWorx 05-15-2012 04:19 AM

Introducing - Case Files: Death From Above

Game Title:

Case Files: Death From Above

Synopsis:

Det. Sam Mason has transferred from traffic to homicide after completing his schooling in forensics and psychology. Sam's first day as a homicide detective, he is confronted with a brutal homicide scene involving two people, as Sam digs further and further into the case he discovers that there is a sick and twisted serial killer out on a murderous rampage. Sam's first case proves to be one of twists and turns, that hits home a little closer than he thought!

About:

This Retro Point & Click Adventure game was inspired by the classic series Police Quest by Sierra. It will feature fully spoken dialog (Talkie), deep storyline , a wide range of characters, loads of scenes to explore! and more!

I will be updating this space with more information and media, as the games development progresses.

Thanks for your time.

marcd2011 05-15-2012 10:11 AM

i'm pretty much fed up of the whole retro thing now. It's almost like in an attempt to make people realise that games are primarily about gameplay, they're making sure there's literally nothing else in the game to distract from that. Personally i believe that it's the combination of good gameplay, graphics, sound and story which make a good game.

At least you're going full talkie, but why not make it look nice too? If you're hand drawing the graphics, then can't you hand draw them in a higher resolution?

Sorry to be negative, the detective theme of the game does interest me, but another 640x480 pixelfest like the mess that was Lone Survivor (was that a face mask or a really big grin?) doesn't. :(

oh, and if you're paying homage to police quest, you have to shoehorn in a hair bleaching puzzle just for laughs ;)

GWPGearWorx 05-15-2012 11:47 AM

I totally understand where your coming from and I agree with you for the most part, and to be honest I am grateful for your honest comments. I am a huge adventure game fan and have been for as long as I can recall. I have always wanted to make my own adventure game, and by doing it retro it gives me the joy of the nostalgia, if that makes sense.

The game itself will have an engrossing storyline, full talkie and other goodness to make a fun and enjoyable experience. Also for the record, I am considering releasing both RETRO and a HIGH RES version of the game. The games resolution is 1024x768. I just scaled down the image to post here on the forums, so I do have higher resolution art already. As I mentioned I just wanted to make it retro for pure nostalgia of the genre.

Take care and thanks for your comments.

diego 05-15-2012 12:34 PM

Seems quite interesting, good luck with the game. Yeah, I can second the notion that i'd rather see it in the high resolution - although Gemini Rue proved you can go either way. But if you already have the backgrounds in high resolution, then you should consider if you want to "pixelize" it only for the "retro" factor.

MoP 05-15-2012 02:02 PM

Oh my, I'm crap at constructive criticism I guess, first thing I though after looking at the screenshot was "damn, that does...
Quote:

Originally Posted by marcd2011 (Post 611821)
look nice

:P

Particularly like the UI, fitting with the theme. And the premise sounds promising, so overall You've got me hooked. Good luck!

diego 05-15-2012 02:09 PM

Yes, MoP's message reminds me - brilliant idea for the inventory, don't change it! However, I can't really make up my mind on the verb interface - it COULD be quite retro/refreshing, but it would be funny if you were doing two versions of the game and leave it in the "Retro" but implement the smart cursor with high-res. :P

Kolorabi 05-15-2012 02:57 PM

Looks cool. I loved Police Quest 1 (and liked 2, but the rest were pretty poor IMO - glad there's no Kickstarter involved here so I can give my honest opinions on certain Sierra games without apparently making people upset).

I also like the graphics. I for one am not tired of the style, in fact I quickly forget that there's anything "retro" about it at all once I start playing. The UI is nice too, I've always liked those verb-based adventures.

GWPGearWorx 05-16-2012 12:52 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments and support. This game is the first in a series of adventure games that I want to release. As I already have the story and outline drafted for the next adventure after this one which will be more along the lines of comedy / adventure.

I will have some more goodies to show soon.

Thanks again.

zenger 05-16-2012 02:27 AM

Excellent work GWPGearWorx!!!, looking forward to seeing more :D:D

PS: Oh by the way, I've sent You a message, well, it's a long shot but... who knows!!! :D

millenia 05-16-2012 05:06 AM

Seems very nice and interesting. I don't mind what it is, retro, indie, low budget, unicorn that shoots rainbows from its behind... I just want a good game with nice setting and plot :)

SamuelGordon 05-16-2012 08:06 AM

Looks great man, looking forward to it. It's been a while since i played a great serial killer AG.

GWPGearWorx 05-17-2012 12:45 AM

Hello All;

Thank you for showing your support with all of the comments, it really means a lot to see that this game is catching your attention.

Depending on the kind of response I get from the community / public with this title, will help determine if the demand is big enough for these types of games. If it is, then I will green light a new 2D or 3D Adventure game within my company. Case Files: DFA is a personal solo project, as the rest of my team are working on our other game titles (http://www.gearworxprod.com) We have a couple announced games and a couple under wraps, once a couple of these titles have been released, and the work load is lightened, that is when I will decide which path to take. However from what activity I have seen on this site and others, the demand is there, which is fantastic!

Anyway more media for this game coming at you soon.

Thanks again.

@Zenger: I can not reply to your PM until I have some more posts under my belt as I am a new member here. I have contacted the ops of this site to see if they can enable my PM privileges. I will respond as soon as that happens.

zenger 05-17-2012 03:43 AM

Great GWPGearWorx!!! :D, thanks :D.

Another posibility is to send me an e-mail (The address is in my webpage), just in case the Private Messages can't be activated yet

Regards